How do I download gpx files

gregncaz

Hi

I am new to geocaching and need some help please.

I have a 450t which supports paperless geocaching but how do I get this information from my pc to the gps.

An idiots guide would be helpful:-)

Thanks in advance

Carrieanna

Here's the FAQ on that: Downloading Files.

Basic memebers may download LOC files, which don't contain parking and other waypoints, logs, or description as the GPX files do. Download them one at a time by connecting your GPSr to your computer, and either checking boxes next to the list and downloading them, or one at a time by clicking the "download to my GPS" button. You may need to install software the first time.

Click here for your 'idiots' guide! But.... to really use the paperless features of your GPS you need to become a premium member. Then you can download Pocket Queries with up to 1000 caches in and simply copy them to your GPS. The guide explains this (it's at the bottom of the page linked to).

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Hi

I have a Magellen explorist GC and premium membership. I have downloaded the communicater software as prompted to by the Groundspeak site when i try to download a cache file. even with the above it wont let me download directly, i have to save onto the laptop harddrive and then transfer to the magellen, which i am finding rather fustrating as this should be so easy and straight forward. any ideas what i might be doing wrong? when i attach the gc to my laptop i can read the files on the gc, transfer new cache files to it etc just not download directly to the gc!

Any ideas folks?

please??

pretty please???

Hi

I have a Magellen explorist GC and premium membership. I have downloaded the communicater software as prompted to by the Groundspeak site when i try to download a cache file. even with the above it wont let me download directly, i have to save onto the laptop harddrive and then transfer to the magellen, which i am finding rather fustrating as this should be so easy and straight forward. any ideas what i might be doing wrong? when i attach the gc to my laptop i can read the files on the gc, transfer new cache files to it etc just not download directly to the gc!

Any ideas folks?

please??

pretty please???

Any download to a computer is saved to a download file, I don't think that you are going to get around that.

I do not believe that a download can be performed directly from a website to the GPSr.

Any download to a computer is saved to a download file, I don't think that you are going to get around that.

I do not believe that a download can be performed directly from a website to the GPSr.

Thanks Gitchee, I'm pretty sure that I should be able to as it gives me the option to download to my gc, well it does except it is greyed out, just the option to download the windows software, the communicater, which I do and install as per the instructions, but never seems to be recogonised, even when i restart the laptop.

Thanks

No, when you download something it should ask you where you want to save it. If your GPS is plugged in and recognized as an additional drive, you can choose to save the GPX file directly onto it (assuming it's a model that can directly accept GPX files).

@Tryfan65: When you click the "Send to My GPS" button and the window pops up, what does it say? Does it say "Magellan Communicator not found.", or something else?

Hi The A team

I can get the pc and gc to talk to each other, or at least open the gc view and copy cache files to directories on the gc from my pc. its when i open the geocaching icon to transfer the cache to the gps that the fun starts! the box tells me it cant find the magellen communicator (I've downloaded, removed it and downloaded it again several times now to no avail). the check device and download boxes are greyed out, the only links in the box usable are the download magellen communicater for pc or mac (i use the pc one as i am on windows!)

I've set up the gc as my only and main gps in my profile, it comes straight to the magellen option when i try to download cache info - as opposed to the other boxes, eg garmin

the magellen software is there as I can see it on the pc (laptop) in the control panel under remove software.

I'm sure its something silly and small I'm doing wrong.....

I've tried several variations of turning on GC before laptop, opening the GC before the cache info etc (i have seen some software needs the hardware turned on first, some the software first).... nothing seems to make a difference

I'll see the funny side when I finally have this up and working...

Paul

Hi again

sorry! still trying to sort this out. When I plug in my gps even though i can read the gps files and copy to the gps etc the laptop does not seem to recogonise it as a gps, it only wants to open it as a memory device. could this be the problem? is there some sftware or something i am missing to enable my laptop to 'see' my magellan as a gps not a storage device?

cheers all

Tryfan