Lack of caches

I'm off to Algeria for a couple of weeks, so as I've never cached outside the UK I thought I'd look to see what I could find...

Well there are only 10 in the whole country, including 3 that are FTF ...one from 2003!. Plus the nearest one to where I will be is over 200 miles away :(

Another plan which has failed!!! :blink:

eek! I thought France was tricky but that's on a whole different level. Shame you won't be able to get one as that could count as a whole different continent for some of the challenges out there.

I'm on a streak at the moment so plan any trips abroad, around places I'm likely to find caches. My friend persuaded me to go to France again at the end of the month and I agreed so long as I can get at least 1 a day! Hence we're sticking to the more populated towns where 5 caches in a sq mile is a complete luxury. My PQ for 1000 caches stretched to a 75-mile radius! :blink:

That's a shame it won't work out. I've had some opportunities to travel to "unusual" places and love it when I can find caches there. Albania and Kazakhstan are ones where I was successful (they have 29 and 20 caches respectively, but had far fewer when I was there). Ghana was a place I did not attempt to find one, as the only one close by had not been found and previous posters talked about being marched off by armed guards. Since then, there are now new ones in Accra, should I get another chance in future.

All being well, Brunei will be my next to try; there are 4 in the country (3 active). But the 3 are close to where I will be, and look safe and reachable.

I've done a lot of travelling to exotic countries but most of it BC (before caching)! Recently I've been to Libya - nearest cache 1200 miles away and Jeddah - nearest cache much closer but recommendation was go in two 4x4's and take water, supplies and don't do it alone! So never got those too!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

I'm off to Algeria for a couple of weeks, so as I've never cached outside the UK I thought I'd look to see what I could find...

Well there are only 10 in the whole country, including 3 that are FTF ...one from 2003!. Plus the nearest one to where I will be is over 200 miles away :(

Another plan which has failed!!! :blink:

No chance to hire a car and make a day's adventure out of it? Or is it off a very un-beaten track, up the side of a mountain?

MrsB :)

No chance to hire a car and make a day's adventure out of it? Or is it off a very un-beaten track, up the side of a mountain?

MrsB :)

I would do but I'm also supposed to be there working! I was hoping for something I could do after work etc :(

Why not organise an event cache. You could consider holding it at the hotel you are staying at. Perhaps an evening event arranged to meet fellow cachers. If you are lucky other cachers will attend, either locals or other visiting tourists, and you have a most enjoyable evening. Worst case scenario is that you attend, have a beer by yourself and then log your attendance/find. Have a nice time. :)

Why not organise an event cache. You could consider holding it at the hotel you are staying at. Perhaps an evening event arranged to meet fellow cachers. If you are lucky other cachers will attend, either locals or other visiting tourists, and you have a most enjoyable evening. Worst case scenario is that you attend, have a beer by yourself and then log your attendance/find. Have a nice time. :)

mmmm...that's not a bad idea...

eek! I thought France was tricky but that's on a whole different level. Shame you won't be able to get one as that could count as a whole different continent for some of the challenges out there.

I'm on a streak at the moment so plan any trips abroad, around places I'm likely to find caches. My friend persuaded me to go to France again at the end of the month and I agreed so long as I can get at least 1 a day! Hence we're sticking to the more populated towns where 5 caches in a sq mile is a complete luxury. My PQ for 1000 caches stretched to a 75-mile radius! :blink:

I've just come back from France (again). No problem finding caches to do; I've now managed 89 caches in that country, without going to any particular trouble.

We were in Canada last May and did some caching in Stanley Park, then in Nov/Dec we were in Australia/Dubai/Singapore so out of those 3 countries we found caches in 2 of them (Dubai DNF), plus met up with a fellow cacher in Sydney which was great, and another at his cache in Melbourne. Plus did some challenges.

In Fuerteventura in March we got a few there as well. Which I was pleased about as DH isn't a cacher but I found an internet cafe so was able to look for a couple more online whilst there. I had looked online at all those places before leaving home and got the co-ords but not knowing how far we would be from our hotels etc we were not sure how many we would find, but got a lot and met some nice folk along the way and had some laughs. To say DH isn't the cacher in the house he does managed to always be in charge of the GPS <_< I think he is a closet cacher :lol:

I just got back from Shanghai, there are very few caches in China, however most of them appear to be 'tourist' caches set in either touristy areas or near foreign businesses. The whole country, the most populous in the world and 4th largest by area has just 443 caches, which is very few. Withing 100 miles of my hotel there were only 83 caches which makes finding one unlikely given that I had no car, however within 5 miles there were 30. On one I even managed a mystery, virtual and trad on one 2 mile walk. All of them were in English, some with German as a second language.

Is there a chance that you are visiting a part of Algeria frequented by foreigners who may have set up some caches?

We are going to Santorini in July, which has a grand total of 11 caches on the whole island, some of which are earth caches. Since it is only a small island, and we will be hiring a car, we're hoping to be able to find all of them....although I am expecting a bit of resistance from two teenage non-geocaching sons :lol: