Oregon 550

I have an Oregon 550 (relatively new owner and cacher) All of a sudden I seem to be unable to download anymore caches. I have upgraded to the latest download version 4.01. When I do try to write to my GPS I get a message stating that it has been a successful download, however it does not appear on my GPS. I have 100 GPX files after discarding 10 - 15 to accommodate new downloads and still cannot seem to download any new caches. I have reset the GPS to original factory settings. I know that I have over 500 mb free memory. Has anyone got any bright ideas?? Thnx.........Cleo1

Are you loading GPX files for individual caches? Why not just load in a PQ of your area? It's easier, and might solve your issue.

I have an older Oregon (300) and I find if I load 2 500-Cache PQ's in at the same time, it frequently doesn't show the caches, but if I load one PQ, start up the unit, then load the next, it does just fine. I suspect making the poor GPS parse 100 individual GPX files all at once is just taxing the poor thing beyond it's capabilities.

The 550 will hold up to 5000 caches and 2000 waypoints. You mention that you have 100 gpx files - are those 100 individual caches? or does each gpx contain multiple caches?

As suggested, do a PQ for your area and load that. A PQ can include up to 1000 caches - so if you want to put 2000 on, load 2 queries or use GSAK. Get everything in GSAK and then push it to the 550.

You mentioned deleting 10 to 15 files, so I am assuming you know how to navigate the directories when its plugged in to the computer - depending on the answer to my earlier question, you may have hit the 5000 limit and just need to delete some more gpx files.

I would have to agree with everyone else... I would try deleting all the gpx files on the unit, then load a single PQ with all the caches you want in it.

This also makes upkeep simpler - you can delete the single gpx file and upload the new one with the found caches removed (unless you want to keep them in there for some reason)and any new caches added....

DD

According to the Wiki, the Oregon 450/550 can hold 200 GPX files, so that should not of been the issue. Garmin Oregon Wiki Have you tried to load a PQ to see if they have the same issue?

I would have to agree with everyone else... I would try deleting all the gpx files on the unit, then load a single PQ with all the caches you want in it.

Remember to reboot after you have deleted the caches, before loading a single PQ :)

Are you using a MAC??

The garmin plugin for the mac has some issues - there is a beta version that corrects the issue. Meanwhile, click the GPX button and save the file in the garmin/gpx folder on the device.

I am on a MAC, and you were correct, it was the plugin. I have downloaded a new beta version and all is well with the world again. Thnx Cleo1