Whats your definition of too far for a Multicache.

Alright here goes. I have an idea for a cool cache, Multicache/Puzzle. I need to know what your opinions are on a 20 mile geocache give or take. Only reason this is 20 miles is because of how far we live apart. Would anyone attempt this one or is it too much?

DD

I've happily completed multi-caches that required more than 20 miles of driving.

I've also completed the first stage of a multi-cache that required about 20 miles of driving, but then after several months, it was archived before I got around to completing it.

YMMV.

You gotta check out "GCXAPJ RACCOON LOOP.....HIKING 20 MILES FOR ONE SMILEY?" It has 23 favorite points and everyone that does it, loves it. Read the posts. What a challenge. The best engineered cache I have done so far. I am very proud to be the FTF on it.

Thanks for letting me know. I normally do not do something like this, but my 2 friends and I all want a cache that denotes each one of us and have 3 different ideas. We figured to hide them at our respected houses. It will be a worth while one. ;) Be on the lookout in the next few weeks if your in Gloucester/ Saluda VA area.

As long as the cache page tells me upfront that there is a significant distance between stages, no problem.

I might be a bit miffed if it wasn't explained and I got to stage one only to discover that i have to hike back the to the car and drive 20 miles. I often drive 5x that distance on a full caching day, but only if it's planned.

Alright here goes. I have an idea for a cool cache, Multicache/Puzzle. I need to know what your opinions are on a 20 mile geocache give or take. Only reason this is 20 miles is because of how far we live apart. Would anyone attempt this one or is it too much?

DD

One of the questions you have to ask yourself. "Can I properly maintain this cache?"

I don't care how many stages there are but if the additive distance of all the stages combined is greater than 1/2 to 1 mile, I won't do it. Anything less I consider to be the greatest caches out there. Short and sweet multicaches, gotta love em. Driving tours? Stick em where the sun don't shine.

I don't really think there are multi-caches that are "too far". If someone doesn't want to try it, oh well. I know of a multi here in southern New Jersey that involves about 300 miles of driving. Definitely not for everyone but quite an accomplishment if you do finish it. I started it last year and just haven't had the opportunity to progress with it. Maybe someday.

There is a multicache here that requires you to go literally half way around the globe (New Zealand to UK) to complete it.

I have no problem with it being more than a few minutes walk, provided this is indicated in the cache description. I might be more reluctant to try it, though, unless there were other compelling reasons.

I wouldn't drive 20 miles just for a smiley but I would coordinate hitting the stops with other trips/ errands in the area, so yes, I would eventually finish it.

This. And if the stages need to be visited in a specific order, I'd appreciate if the general direction would be mentioned in the cache description. Something like "To avoid backtracking, this is better done travelling north to south.".

Alright thanks everyone. I now have a good idea of the cache ;) it starts in VA goes to Florida and then back up to NY ;) lol. Anyway, I got the idea, it is probably a small scale geocache to what can be done and should be good if I post the information telling them how far it will be. Thanks all. :)

Alright thanks everyone. I now have a good idea of the cache ;) it starts in VA goes to Florida and then back up to NY ;) lol. Anyway, I got the idea, it is probably a small scale geocache to what can be done and should be good if I post the information telling them how far it will be. Thanks all. :)

If you don't have a clear plan to maintain the stages, then it won't be published.

I wouldn't drive 20 miles just for a smiley but I would coordinate hitting the stops with other trips/ errands in the area, so yes, I would eventually finish it.

This. And if the stages need to be visited in a specific order, I'd appreciate if the general direction would be mentioned in the cache description. Something like "To avoid backtracking, this is better done travelling north to south.".

Agreed. 20 miles between all of the stages would probably mean that it would take at least a couple of outings to complete it. I wouldn't mind that at all. That also would mean that I could complete it if it was local but if it was a cache that came up in a pocket query that I ran for someplace I was traveling to I wouldn't try it. There's a 4.5 difficulty two stage multi in Buffalo (about 3 hours from me) that I found the first stage for several months ago. Even though I only get to Buffalo a few times a year it's a cache I'd like to complete when I get back there again. On the other hand, I'm going to Boulder in about a week and probably won't have more than an hour of free time to go geocaching during the four days I'm there. When I run a PQ of the area this week I'll probably exclude all multi-caches. In other words, don't expect many geocachers from outside your local geocaching community to find a multi that requires a great deal of travel in between stages.

I know I am late to the thread but wanted to add my thoughts. It really depends on the multi you intend to set up. This one http://coord.info/GC37F1 here in NC is a great example - the idea of this multi was to follow a rough route of the night a young black male was lynched in the early 20's from where his home was (first part 10 mile drive to where the old jailhouse stood, then another 5 mile drive to the parking area and a 2 mile hike in of the lynch site. So as you can see, a multi's distances can vary greatly and be very rewarding (as this one was).

I thought I posted earlier on this, taking care of the Geocache is not going to be a problem. My friends house is around 15-20 drive miles away, and then the other parts of the geocache are at my house and at a nature trail between our houses. Anyway. I will post that it is a drive. Thanks for all your responses. :)

As another cacher mentioned, indicating the total distance on the cache description page would let geocachers know if they had time to do it all in one day, and also how much gas they need in the car. If posible, give parking coordinates, since a cache requiring this much time would be totally frustrating if you couldn't figure out where to park for each stage. And, as also mentioned before, make the trip worthwhile with a nice big box at the final. Maybe even think of having some special swag for finders such as plastic good luck coins (cheap from outlets such as Oriental Trading Company.) We'd enjoy such a multicache, espcially if the drive was through a pretty area or in a park.

I thought I posted earlier on this, taking care of the Geocache is not going to be a problem. My friends house is around 15-20 drive miles away, and then the other parts of the geocache are at my house and at a nature trail between our houses. Anyway. I will post that it is a drive. Thanks for all your responses. :)