Got a package in the mail...

This is going to be a good night. I recently decided to start hiding a few caches.... so I hoped on QVC (I get a 30% discount) and order a 12-pack of Lock-n-Lock, and to stop by the hardware store. Got some wire, gorilla tape, a few carabiners, and wire clips.....

IMG_20120501_183939.jpg

Yeah, the one black one is my first cache. Already have a location set out. :-)

I also found these "Snapware" containers at the hardware store for a few bucks. Affordable, and have an o-ring and latching sides. I'm going to place them and see how they do. They're large enough for a full size notebook, the smallest is about the size of a 7.62mm ammo can. I have a feeling they'll fail under alot of mechanical stress, but should do well with the elements. I live in an apartment complex in Center City, Philadelphia, so... not a whole lot of option of throwing these into the bushes for a few weeks to see how they fair.

Edited by KyleYankan

Squeeze the sides of the large containers and listen for air. If you hear air, they really won't be watertight. Depending on how they are constructed, they might keep most water out if kept upright when hidden.

Also, covering the latches with the tape will help the "living hinges" survive longer in the elements. UV exposure from sunlight can make the hinges fail much earlier than they normally would have from normal indoor use. The tape will help shield them from the UV light. That applies to the real Lock'n'Locks too.

BTW... According to most container sellers, you actually bought a 24 piece set (12 containers and 12 lids). Typical marketing BS to make you think you're getting more than you really are.

Good luck.

Edited by medoug

looks like you'll be having loads of fun hiding these! where did you get the gorilla tape? i can't find it in my area.

I got it from a small local hardware store, here in Philly. $11 a roll, but I'm sure it's worth it. I already covered every exposed piece of plastic on one lock and lock (the black on in the photo)

Also, not to advocate my workplace, but they seem to advertise well with these items. A 12-piece set includes 12 tupperware and 12 lids.

http://bddy.me/IlDUhd

Anybody ever try a product called "Poly Tarp Tape" made by BAC Industries, Inc for covering geocache containers? I bought some for mending some cracks in my vinyl motorcycle seat and it seems like it would be the ideal tape for geocache containers. It's made specifically to be use on plastic tarps which I believe is the same plastic as most plastic containers. It is flexible, conforms very good to irregular surfaces, and seems to stick really good. It actually sticks best if leaving it in the sun or applying heat after applying. It is waterproof and formulated for outdoor use. It comes in several colors (mostly plastic tarp colors) black, brown, green, blue, silver, white, and clear. (sorry no camo or realtree)

The cost was about the same as colored/patterned duct tape. I bought a 2" wide by 35' roll. I've had it on my motorcycle seat for about a year now and it is holding really well considering it has to flex with the seat vinyl all the time. Even the corners aren't curling.

I wish you luck. Most of the imitation Lock and Lock's that I've tried just have not held up well.

I'm reasonably confident that these are Lock & Lock brand containers, the have a line of "nesting" containers in those colors. I have a very similar set myself, purchased from a different vendor -> and for kitchen use, amazingly...=:-)

I have a couple of the big containers with the handles on the top, haven't tried using them for a cache.

1) I figure there'stoo much air volume, and they'll pull air back and forth through the seal and get condensation inside. Just that will make a sloppy mess in the summer months here

2) The handle depression looks like a mosquito farm to me

I won't order sets that come inside those big boxes any more.

Although the 2 I own are in use around the house, I don't find the 4 sides latching convenient for an indoor container.

I wish you luck. Most of the imitation Lock and Lock's that I've tried just have not held up well.

I'm reasonably confident that these are Lock & Lock brand containers, the have a line of "nesting" containers in those colors.

The 12 multi-coloured containers are LnLs, but the 3 large ones in the back are Snapware, as stated by the OP. I've found a few caches hidden in these, and they haven't worked well. The large snapping tabs tend to break off far more easily than LnLs, and the containers just overall felt very weak and flimsy.

I'm reasonably confident that these are Lock & Lock brand containers, the have a line of "nesting" containers in those colors.

The 12 multi-coloured containers are LnLs, but the 3 large ones in the back are Snapware, as stated by the OP. I've found a few caches hidden in these, and they haven't worked well. The large snapping tabs tend to break off far more easily than LnLs, and the containers just overall felt very weak and flimsy.

After spending a night working on caches, A-Team has a point. The large ones are far too weak. They have been designed as "Cache" Caches, or palces to hold equipment for my caches.

I have a couple of the big containers with the handles on the top, haven't tried using them for a cache.

1) I figure there'stoo much air volume, and they'll pull air back and forth through the seal and get condensation inside. Just that will make a sloppy mess in the summer months here

2) The handle depression looks like a mosquito farm to me

I think I know the exact one that you are referring to. I have several of those deployed in the wild. Some going on over 2 years. No problems yet.

Glad to see you taking a view of hiding containers of size. ok.gif

The Lock & Locks are 1cup, 2cup, and 3cup sizes. In the early days of caching, these would have been smaller than the typical cache container. Unfortunately now days, these are usually larger than most caches due to proliferation of micros and nanos. :(

Glad to see you taking a view of hiding containers of size. ok.gif

The Lock & Locks are 1cup, 2cup, and 3cup sizes. In the early days of caching, these would have been smaller than the typical cache container. Unfortunately now days, these are usually larger than most caches due to proliferation of micros and nanos. :(

Yeah. Seeing as I cache in center city philadelphia alot, I know it can be hard to hide a larger cache container here, but I really have alot of respect for those who do. I'm going to try and do the same, and hopefully a muggle doesn't end up with some free LnL.