The use of ENGLISH

OZ2CPU

Offcourse it is perfectly ok to use own local language in the caches you make,

but please add at least a short one-liner in ENGLISH so turists got a chance to find your traditional cache,

specially if a cache is VERY hard or impossible to find without this information.

you could add this in the HINT section.

We are many cachers who love to travel, for me I must say it is a bit sad to see how many DNF

I get when I dont understand one single word in a cache text and its hints.

I only go for Traditionals when I go to non English locations,

so first lets see if we can make/force/encurage cache owners to improve on this ??

maybe even add a little rule ?

or just a good advice if that is possible ?

dont Groundspeak think this game should be a world wide love to travel and see new stuff thing too ?

I agree with your point, but I don't think it should be enforced by a rule. Not every CO knows english. When you go hunting and see a cache you can use an online translator to get an idea what the CO is saying.

Besides, at least in my area 99% of the caches have the information both in Catalan and English (maybe because it's a very touristic area).

>When you go hunting and see a cache you can use an online translator to get an idea what the CO is saying.

you can NOT be sure to be able to go online,

the information you need to be able to finde a cache MUST all be in your offline GPS unit,

and specially when you are a turist going online means a VERY expensive roaming fee !

and also alot of time and pain since in many locations I have been to, even local areas

a few bytes pr minutes and no bytes at all is seen from time to time.

and online translators cant get the text directly from my GPSmap :-)

and they only work on words spelled correctly, some make hints written backwards and with no spaces !

now turist with a little/poor/none know-how try and figure out where it is..

or simply start spending long hrs looking for a dif 1.5

I tried this a few times, so that is why I try to change or improve a few things.

I dont like rules, but ADVICE, and maybe a friendly encuragement from Groundspeak and its approvers

could be all we need ?

I know some people are not experts in english, (I know I am not)

I dont expect or want all caches to be written 100% in perfect english,

that is NOT at all what I am asking for..

just a hint or one liner with important info when it makes sense.

you are welcome to come up with any ideas you think could make caches more turist and travel friendly ?

an easy one : turist, learn local language before you go :-(

Edited by OZ2CPU

I am so grateful when I'm caching in an area dominated by another language and the CO provides English in the description. But that's about all I can say about it. I don't provide German in my descriptions, so I can't very well demand that others accommodate me.

Multis are the worst, of course. Puzzles are a little better because I'm looking at them in advance where I have translation tools. Traditional caches can be amusing when a forgotten high school German course is used to "translate" the descriptions in the field, and then later we compare our ridiculous ideas of what the cache was about with what comes out of an on-line translator. What a hoot!

Use google translate.

English isn't the only language on the earth. If you're expecting them to add English to the cache page - then they should also add Spanish, French, Czech, Italian, Chinese, Japanese ,German, and all the other languages that exist.

Do you think English speaking people are the only tourists?

Edited by Lieblweb

Use google translate.

English isn't the only language on the earth. If you're expecting them to add English to the cache page - then they should also add Spanish, French, Czech, Italian, Chinese, Japanese ,German, and all the other languages that exist.

THIS IS THE EXACT WORDS I WAS GOING TO WRITE . THANK YOU

I think the best idea would be to have a new set of attributes where the cache owner can show what language(s) the cache page is written in.

Visitors could then run PQs to select only those caches which have details in their chosen languages

Mark

Why English? If we were going to pick a language that best represents geocaching, then it would be German.

I've long been of the opinion that the main problem is that people insist on using the term English for the language many of us use.

I prefer the use of the word Terran since the language is a hodgepodge of words from so many languages.

I think that the melding will continue into the future for a long time. Besides, have you ever examined the OLD English (prior to 1066 I believe is the cut point) which strongly resembles German and French of the same period. All languages absorb words from others, it is a give and take process. Interestingly, many international groups use current 'English' as common working language.

Radio communications for one, local language is fine (as in Geocaching) but when there are more than one language being spoken, then the default is for all to speak 'English'. A good example is aviation communications, or marine communications. Other groups have chosen French for working languages. Modern translators work fairly well if you remember that sometimes you have to 'feel' for the correct meaning/usage, but they are still developing. One should select words and phrases that work well in both directions. However sometimes that isn't the case. Just work with the limitations to get the idea but use one's brain a bit as well.

Local idiom and slang can cause interesting translations.

Doug 7rxc

I am so grateful when I'm caching in an area dominated by another language and the CO provides English in the description. But that's about all I can say about it. I don't provide German in my descriptions, so I can't very well demand that others accommodate me.

Multis are the worst, of course. Puzzles are a little better because I'm looking at them in advance where I have translation tools. Traditional caches can be amusing when a forgotten high school German course is used to "translate" the descriptions in the field, and then later we compare our ridiculous ideas of what the cache was about with what comes out of an on-line translator. What a hoot!

Since I do a fair amount of travel I frequently use Google translate to translate cache listings into English. The translations for some languages are better than others and from I've seen so far the translation from German to English is surprisingly bad.

If cache owners were required to include an English translation on all cache listings there are two possibilities. If they already know a fair amount of English they're just going to write up a section in their native language and a section in English. If they don't know to speak/write English they're going to use a translation service. If a translation service is being used it really doesn't matter if the cache owner or someone that wants to read the listing uses the service. When I'm geocaching in another country where English is not a primary language I'm going to identify caches and translate the listings before I leave. I don't think it's unreasonable to spend a little more time looking over and translating if necessary cache listings in another country if you're planning on traveling. I suppose if one was going to spend six months in another country it might get a little old, but I just don't see this a being a big problem that requires a global mandate that might impact hundreds of thousands of cache owners.

Yup. Let's all use English. Go to France-expect everyone to use English. Go to Japan-tell them to speak English. :rolleyes: I personally think it is arrogant. But since you do have a valid point, that everyone should be able to play. So I propose that we create a new universal language.

How about a five-year phase-in of new rules which would apply to the language and reclassify it as "EuroEnglish". The plan would be as follows:

Year 1: The soft 'c' would be replaced by 's'. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump for joy. The hard 'c' would be replaced by 'k'. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan now have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the second year, when the troublesome 'ph' is replased by 'f'. This will reduse 'fotograf' by 20%.

Year3: Publik akseptense of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent 'e's in the languag is disgrasful, and they should eliminat them.

By year 4, peopl wil be reseptiv to lingwistik korektions such as replasing the 'th' with z and 'w' with 'v' (saving mor keybord spas). During ze fifz year, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou', and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After ze fifz year, ve vil hav a reli sensibil riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis, and evrirun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer...ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU!!!

Edited by T.D.M.22

Yup. Let's all use English. Go to France-expect everyone to use English. Go to Japan-tell them to speak English. :rolleyes: I personally think it is arrogant. But since you do have a valid point, that everyone should be able to play. So I propose that we create a new universal language.

How about a five-year phase-in of new rules which would apply to the language and reclassify it as "EuroEnglish". The plan would be as follows:

Year 1: The soft 'c' would be replaced by 's'. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump for joy. The hard 'c' would be replaced by 'k'. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan now have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the second year, when the troublesome 'ph' is replased by 'f'. This will reduse 'fotograf' by 20%.

Year3: Publik akseptense of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent 'e's in the languag is disgrasful, and they should eliminat them.

By year 4, peopl wil be reseptiv to lingwistik korektions such as replasing the 'th' with z and 'w' with 'v' (saving mor keybord spas). During ze fifz year, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou', and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After ze fifz year, ve vil hav a reli sensibil riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis, and evrirun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer...ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

SOMEBODY had waaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands today!!! (and they didn't use it geocaching???) :laughing:

Not every CO knows english.

Every CO has access to Google translate. the cacher on holiday may not. I own several caches in my English speaking hometown and several near my holiday home in France. In France, I put them in French, but also English and try to put German, too!

Not every CO knows english.

Every CO has access to Google translate. the cacher on holiday may not.

But every cacher *does* have access to Google translate or some other translation method prior to going on holiday. If someone is going to be traveling to another country it's a lot less to ask those doing to traveling to translate the listings for caches they want to find that to ask every cache owner in the world to translate their cache listing to English.

Although I'm not going to become fluent in every language used in a country that I am planning to visit I will take a little time to learn a few phrases. Time to brush up on my German and Swahili for a trip in June.

I don't mind much if a cache is only available in the local language. We live in your neighborhood and picked up masses of local caches including language-based mysteries, without fully understanding your language. And to be honest, we often try to read through the local language text because the translation is so useless. If we go on vacation we just prepare and translate texts where necessary. That works fine for us anyway.

Mrs. terratin

Edited by terratin

Use google translate.

THIS IS THE EXACT WORDS I WAS GOING TO WRITE . THANK YOU

Some of us use only a GPS. Some of us have never owned any iBauble ('smart phone'). Some of us have no access to the internet except when we are at home or in a hotel room.

Why English? If we were going to pick a language that best represents geocaching, then it would be German.

Of course, it would not be German. The idea of using English is not to be friendly to people who native language is English.

English is the most widely known language if takes into account foreign languages as well and not only the number of people who are native speakers.

Cezanne

Yup. Let's all use English. Go to France-expect everyone to use English. Go to Japan-tell them to speak English. :rolleyes: I personally think it is arrogant.

While I do not agree with the suggestion to ask for a mandatory English section for cache descriptions, I do not think at all that the suggestion (by someone whose native language is not English) is arrogant. If all cachers who are able to write in English would add English versions, this would change already a lot.

We need not talk about those who are not able to provide an English version. There are so many cachers out there who do not provide English versions while being fluent in English ............ Of course, no one can be forced to use English, but I can still express my opinion that everyone who is able to provide an English version should do so.

Cezanne

But every cacher *does* have access to Google translate

That produces a lot of garbage.

If someone is going to be traveling to another country it's a lot less to ask those doing to traveling to translate the listings for caches they want to find that to ask every cache owner in the world to translate their cache listing to English.

In areas like Europe with so many different languages spoken and small distances between different countries, it easily occurs that one wants to find caches in another country on a regular basis, not just in a short holiday where you might want to select a few caches that can be done also without understanding much.

Although I'm not going to become fluent in every language used in a country that I am planning to visit I will take a little time to learn a few phrases. Time to brush up on my German and Swahili for a trip in June.

A few phrases are nice and might be appreciated by the local people, but they do not suffice for most types of geocaching.

I neither have the time nor the motivation to really learn languages such as Slovenian, Hungarian (very difficult), Czech/Slovak and still caches in these countries are much closer to where I live than those in Germany. While most caches in Slovenia close to the Austrian border still do have an English version, most Austrian caches near to the Slovenian border are available only in German and the reason is lazyness and not lacking knowledge of English.

Cezanne

Cleary some people dont get the point ?

Look at geocaching.com

Ok it is a normal world wide webpage, so it is

Written in... tataaaa. You guessed it

ENGLISH...

You want to know why ??

Ok i know you dont know this due to some extreamly dumb answers, so i will need to explain

Most people in the world who travel and most people who use computer and Webpages can

Read and understand english..

Read nr 1 post again, i dont want you to drop local or any other, just add at least a little simple side note in english so Your friends from all over the world will be able to enjoy and find your cool cache.. be cool, be nice, be a friend..

Of course, it would not be German. The idea of using English is not to be friendly to people who native language is English.

English is the most widely known language if takes into account foreign languages as well and not only the number of people who are native speakers.

Cezanne

You didn't read what I said. I said the language that most represntes geocaching.

Cezanne

You didn't read what I said. I said the language that most represntes geocaching.

I read what you wrote, but I simply do not agree with you. Neither the fact that nowadays many German speaking cachers (as their Dutch counterparts) use their native language

when logging caches all over the world (that has been very uncommon in the early years) nor the fact that there are many German speaking cachers implies that German represents geocaching.

When I started geocaching it was absolutely common to use (often even exclusively) English for logs and cache descriptions in my country (Austria) and I have always associated geocaching with the English language like I do for everything related to computers for example.

Ther first geocache has been hidden by a native speaker of English and all major international geocaching sites are English based. How can German be the language that most represents geocaching?

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I do not understand why you think that the language that best represents geocaching is German. The first cache was placed in the United States. Groundspeak is an American company. Where does German fit in? The language associated with geocching is English. I agree with Cezanne.

If I visit a non English speaking country I don't expect them to accommodate me. It's nice if they do though. I would carry a translation book with me. For caching I would pick out a few to find and translate those pages before I leave. I don't think it should be a rule though to add English. Nice but not required.

There are more German geocachers than American.

According to the rankings of cachers with more than 200 finds there are about 60,000 cachers in the US and 47,000 in Germany. If we are talking English speaking countries then several more countries would be added to that total.....

Within the world of Geocaching I'm dead against 'anything' which is mandatory...

When I took up the hobby (July 2010) I knew what I was joining, I knew the 'rules', and I accepted them without question or hessitation.

Recently I've noticed a number of (for the want of a better word) complaints, about various things within geocaching. For instance - having to have found 'a specific number' of caches before being allowed to hide one, or hide one for every ten found....

Come on this supposed to be a hobby, its supposed to be fun!!

In my opinion, the answer to the language problem can be addressed by the purchase of a foreign language phrase book (i.e. of the country you are visiting). Breaking down a three or four word hint from the host country tongue to English, could be considered as part of the challenge of the search for holiday caches.

As I said... just my opinion!!

Croesgadwr

a North Wales geocacher

(all my cache hides are written in English rather than my native language of Welsh!)

Even if that were true (I do not have any data on that), it would not convince me of your statement about German representing geocaching best. What about Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand etc?

Anyway, from my point of view what's much more essential than the mother tongue is how many cachers understand a language and I'm sure that English is leading by far in this respect.

Cezanne

Cleary some people dont get the point ?

Look at geocaching.com

Ok it is a normal world wide webpage, so it is

Written in... tataaaa. You guessed it

ENGLISH...

You can change your language preference in your account details. I'm guessing that german, french, russian, italian, polish, etc. cachers have their webpages displayed in their native languages.

You can change your language preference in your account details. I'm guessing that german, french, russian, italian, polish, etc. cachers have their webpages displayed in their native languages.

Your guess is wrong. The big majority of cachers I know on my country use the English version.

I rather would let me beat to death than switch to German. I'm using the English interfaces even for programs that have a much better German version than gccom does have.

The language of the interface was however not the point of the OP anyway. Moreover, gc.com started more than 10 years ago - the effort to offer some other languages for the interface is a very recent one.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

In my opinion, the answer to the language problem can be addressed by the purchase of a foreign language phrase book (i.e. of the country you are visiting). Breaking down a three or four word hint from the host country tongue to English, could be considered as part of the challenge of the search for holiday caches.

No, it certainly can't and it not only concerns holiday caches, but in many regions also everyday geocaching.

My favourite cache types are multi caches and I also enjoy mystery caches (my split up is very, very different than yours so you might not understand why my opinion differs from yours) and traditionals where the description is important. My interest is not mainly in the hint and in finding a hidden container, but in everything around. A phrase book and even a good dictionary are by far not sufficient. Typically also a basic knowledge of the local language is not sufficient for my purposes.

I do not think that it makes much sense if many people invest many hours into translating lengthy complex texts into their own language if the hider of the cache is easily able to provide an English version. Using English as a common language makes understanding each other so much easier in many contexts.

Cezanne

Even if that were true, there are more geocachers that speak English than there are geocachers that speak German.

Regarding Cezannes comment that using Google translate can often produce garbage. I agree, but if someone does not speak English they're probably going to use Google translate or something like it to translate non English text to some other language. If Google translate is going to be used anyway, I'd rather see the burden put on a smaller number of cache finders that are seeking caches in another country use Google translate, than require *every* not English speaking cache owner to translate (probably using Google translate) all their cache listings.

I think it's great when someone puts a short English description in a cache -- it's the most commonly spoke second language in the world -- but I don't see this as something that ought to require a rule or even gentle encouragement. Many folks do so anyway. If you are overseas for a vacation and want to just grab a couple of caches, it seems generally unlikely that there won't be some of them with an English description and you can plot your caching ahead of time. And if you are there for a while, won't you have a need to get to the internets anyway so you can find some of those bilingual caches?

Certainly, no one owes me anything but accurate coordinates.

Regarding Cezannes comment that using Google translate can often produce garbage. I agree, but if someone does not speak English they're probably going to use Google translate or something like it to translate non English text to some other language.

I fully agree with you. That's only one of the reasons why I am not in favor of a compulsory English version.

I simply would welcome a higher percentage of caches with English descriptions among those caches owned by

cachers who are able to come up with a reasonable English version (better than what automatic

routines produce).

I volunteered several times to translate German only cache descriptions into English (even in cases where the hider is

very proficient in English), but often got replies like "No, I do not want to include an English version as this lengthens the cache description"

or similar ones. I remember that back in 2003 several cachers, including myself, have asked Groundspeak for the first time to offer an option to

separate different language versions. Now 9 years later still nothing has been done in this respect, and I'm not optimistic about the future as well.

The same sad story is happening with ECs. Back then when English versions have been compulsory, I translated a number of ECs (owned by other cachers)

into English. Nowadays I do not receive any translation requests and also most of those local cachers who have previously done their own English versions of EC pages stopped to provide an English version. The main reasons provided are lazyness and compactness of the cache description.

It is this sort of development that I do not appreciate and it is not caused people with a non sufficient command of English.

If Google translate is going to be used anyway, I'd rather see the burden put on a smaller number of cache finders that are seeking caches in another country use Google translate, than require *every* not English speaking cache owner to translate (probably using Google translate) all their cache listings.

I again fully agree. Moreover, it is a waste of space to include Google translations into cache pages.

Cezanne

No, it certainly can't and it not only concerns holiday caches, but in many regions also everyday geocaching.

My favourite cache types are multi caches and I also enjoy mystery caches (my split up is very, very different than yours so you might not understand why my opinion differs from yours) and traditionals where the description is important. My interest is not mainly in the hint and in finding a hidden container, but in everything around. A phrase book and even a good dictionary are by far not sufficient. Typically also a basic knowledge of the local language is not sufficient for my purposes.

I do not think that it makes much sense if many people invest many hours into translating lengthy complex texts into their own language if the hider of the cache is easily able to provide an English version. Using English as a common language makes understanding each other so much easier in many contexts.

Cezanne

I only quote my own personal opinions.

I make no suggestions as how to address problems, issues or concerns raised by others - I just state my opinion! I'm fully aware that my opinions are not those of the majority of people who use this forum...just my own opinions, to which I'm entitled.

Next month I travel to Turkey for a two week holiday with my wife. During these two weeks I intend to try and find two or three caches (there are not many geo-caches in the area I'm visiting). I will be 'armed' with the cache name, co-ord's, D & T ratings and cache size (I think this information can be classified as 'International'). Any other info that I can find from the cache description or log entries will be a bonus. I will be on holiday, I will be geo-caching...but firstly I will be enjoying myself!!

Finally, I am a lone geo-cacher. Over 600 finds to my name, every one of them was found without assistance from anyone - no 'caching buddy' or phoning for info from caching friends. All totally my own efforts. I have other hobbies such as hillwalking, shooting and metal detecting. Each of these I do as part of group activities....BUT, geo-caching (by choice) is an individual thing with me.

I love the challenge of lone caching, I don't want it to be too easy... in this instance this includes the possible challenge of a language other than my own.

But, as I said - Just personal opinion, and therefore I can't be wrong because it affects no-one other than ME - and I'm happy with that.

Good Geo-caching, enjoy your hobby...don't get bogged down with insignificant details. (Stands back...and waits for someone to kick-off because they don't like what I say!!)

Croesgadwr

North Wales.

Edited by Croesgadwr

Next month I travel to Turkey for a two week holiday with my wife. During these two weeks I intend to try and find two or three caches (there are not many geo-caches in the area I'm visiting).

Geocaching in Turkey is maybe not the best example as the local language does hardly play any role there and English and German dominate there.

I will be 'armed' with the cache name, co-ord's, D & T ratings and cache size (I think this information can be classified as 'International').

For traditionals if your main intent is finding the cache, yes. That's what I have written before. We fully agree on that.

If one is interested into multi caches and mystery caches (about 50% of my cache finds and 100% of my hidden caches) or wants to understand detailed background information about traditionals, the situation quickly changes.

You would have no chance at all to cope with my caches using only the German descriptions without knowing German.

I love the challenge of lone caching, I don't want it to be too easy... in this instance this includes the possible challenge of a language other than my own.

I do understand that you like this challenge, but what you write refers to the type of caches you mainly have visited and not to the type of geocaches I have in mind. Have a look at my caches (or some of my finds) in order to understand what I am talking about. Most of my geocaches are everything except easy - having to deal with them in a language who do not know is a no go.

Moreover, note that there are many other occasions for caching in other countries than going for holidays.

Have a look for example at this map

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+47%C2%B0+02.140+E+015%C2%B0+26.745+%28GCNJRK%29+

which among others show my home town.

I regard it as waste of time for most people (except those with a very special interest into languages)

to learn all languages of the many neighbours instead of using English to communicate with each other if this

is the only common language. Why should e.g. people from Slovenia study Hungarian and people from Hungary study Slovenian?

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I accept that the points you raise are valid...to you.

To me, as a UK cacher, much of the discussion is irrelevent as ALL of the caches here are (naturally) in English.

Traditional caches are predominant in my area, with multi's etc being very much in the minority - hence the abundance of them on my profile.

My prefered type of geocache would be placed in either a wood or forest, and would be part of a series.

Sad to say that there are not too many of these left for me to do within reasonable travelling time from my home. Please note (as previously stated) that geocaching is just one of my hobbies, and in fact is not my primary hobby. Therefore time available to cache is at a premium.

Once again, just my opinions.

Good luck with your geocaching...

Croesgadwr

North Wales, UK.

To me, as a UK cacher, much of the discussion is irrelevent as ALL of the caches here are (naturally) in English.

Traditional caches are predominant in my area, with multi's etc being very much in the minority - hence the abundance of them on my profile.

I am aware of both. Let me also stress that I do not have any issue with your opinion or your approach to geocaching.

I just wanted to explain why for some group of cachers (in particular from smaller countries in continental Europe) English descriptions would be/are a big help and why the approaches that work very well for some do not work that well for others. It was not my intent to claim that what is important for me or the OP, should be important for everyone else as well.

In any case, have a nice vacation in Turkey with and without geocaching.

Cezanne