funny Geocache Story

Today my daughter and I had to go pick up a geocache we placed to move it as it was just too close to another one of our caches. We had placed it then went home to double check the distance rule! Anyway we had to go back to retrieve it. We get to the site and my daughter can't find it. So I go out.

The cache was a little mushroom. I had it at the base of some willows and covered up with leaves. When I got there it was uncovered and when I picked it up I noticed little teeth marks!

some animal was trying to eat my cache! It uncovered the leaves hiding the mushroom and there were a number of little teeth prints on the one side! guess the little rodent thought it was getting a good treat. Sorry guy no mushroom for you today!

I wonder how many other caches out there have been "eaten"!!!

Edited by northern_bc_fam

We went to find one by cabbos that was well and truly chewed.. teeth marks in the lid going completely through the plastic and bite makes on the container, even missing bits of the log book..

Something sure got something's attention..

:)

I've seen it happen to a few caches, because people put scented items in the cache. Did you put your cache together right after lunch, by any chance, before washing your hands? Most animals go by their strong sense of smell when foraging for food.

The worst one I saw was when someone thought a can of fish filets in mustard sauce would be a good trade item. That cache was destroyed and strewn all over. The only thing that survived was the can of fish fillets. But the animal could smell it, even in the can.

I find that really interesting! After I picked up the mushroom, I smelled it to see what i smelled like. Nothing I could detect. I had it sitting in my car for a long time before the first placement, so I don't think there was any food smell. Who knows. We had a good laugh anyway. I should stalk up on this cache type in case it gets chewed again. Thanks for all the replies it is interesting to see what goes on in the geocache world! Now if someone would just pick up our first owned trackable and get it on its way we would be really happy!!

Happy Caching!

Although it wasn't specifically geocaching this was related...

Several years ago my two nieces came over for Easter so I filled 18 plastic eggs with pieces of candy and small trinkets. Before they came over I hid them in our small backyard. I made them really easy to find since my son was only about 3 at the time. About 20 minutes they showed up and they, along with my son, went out in the backyard for an easter egg hunt. I put out 18 eggs so each of them would have 6 eggs. After they searched for about 15 minutes they had found 13 of them. I went out to find the rest of them and didn't find them in the spots where I hid them. Then I found one of them in a different area of the yard with a hole chewed in it. I ended up find two more like it and never did find the other two. I assume the squirrels go the rest and they were only out about 20 minutes. I suspect that a cache with food in it hidden in an area with a lot of squirrels probably wouldn't last much longer.

Today my daughter and I had to go pick up a geocache we placed to move it as it was just too close to another one of our caches. We had placed it then went home to double check the distance rule! Anyway we had to go back to retrieve it. We get to the site and my daughter can't find it. So I go out.

The cache was a little mushroom. I had it at the base of some willows and covered up with leaves. When I got there it was uncovered and when I picked it up I noticed little teeth marks!

some animal was trying to eat my cache! It uncovered the leaves hiding the mushroom and there were a number of little teeth prints on the one side! guess the little rodent thought it was getting a good treat. Sorry guy no mushroom for you today!

I wonder how many other caches out there have been "eaten"!!!

[/quote

A few weeks ago we were out caching in the countryside where the series were "meat" related so good fun, a steak here a chop there and so on. The gps took us past GZ for some reason and when i looked down there on the ground a good bit away from GZ was a small rubber chicken which was. used for the cache but was empty, so we assume Mr or Mrs Fox thought it was chicken for dinner that night?

We had a cache that was a bison tube attached to a very realistic rubber spider, hanging in a tree next to a parking lot. The cache disappeared several times before we changed the container slightly and moved it to a more secluded location. At the time, I blamed the landscapers, but maybe it was a more "natural" predator?

Harry Dolphin has named the bears that like to chew on his caches. It's pretty funny to read some of his cache logs. I've never had one chewed on, but it's pretty common.

Made my day! Thanks! Actually, my caching partner, Andy Bear is a bear, and he knows all the bear that we meet. So it's not as if I'm making up their names!

We have over 3000 bear in New Jersey. I have pictures of some of them, if you're interested.

My latest cache is called: Munchies. A Bear Chew Toy. (Why ignore the inevitable?)

But I would really be happy if finders would out the large rock back in front of the cache. That's why I put that rock there! But, thanks. You made me chuckle!

Harry Dolphin has named the bears that like to chew on his caches. It's pretty funny to read some of his cache logs. I've never had one chewed on, but it's pretty common.

Made my day! Thanks! Actually, my caching partner, Andy Bear is a bear, and he knows all the bear that we meet. So it's not as if I'm making up their names!

We have over 3000 bear in New Jersey. I have pictures of some of them, if you're interested.

My latest cache is called: Munchies. A Bear Chew Toy. (Why ignore the inevitable?)

But I would really be happy if finders would out the large rock back in front of the cache. That's why I put that rock there! But, thanks. You made me chuckle!

Harry, I'd personally like to meet a bear someday. Perhaps we can arrange a trip sometime?

Harry, I'd personally like to meet a bear someday. Perhaps we can arrange a trip sometime?

Generally, geocachers breathe a sigh of relief when they do not meet the bear whilst hunting our caches...

56d99e66-333a-46bf-a80f-f70bd6b86e5f.jpg

This is Cindy Bear,from about 600'. She was not moving. I finally veered off to the left, and she went away. Bear are adorably cute, but they can be very dangerous.

One local cacher will not do any of my caches in Mount Hope Historical Park because I've mentioned that Amparo Oso lives there. That's her prerogative. Amparo is a great bear! But I do not want to tangle with her. She followed me for a few hundred feet once, and I almost had a panic attack. I almost had a heart attack when I met Stumpy. (He only has three paws. The thought is that he got caught in a trap.) I guess I wasn't making enough noise. I came around a bend in the trail, and almost stepped on him! Missed him by about four feet. I couldn't move for about fifteen minutes! He took off through the mountain laurel. I felt sorry for him! Moutain laurel is really nasty stuff! (Though it is very pretty for about a month each year,)

Oh my gosh! I KNOW for positive I would GIVE UP caching if BEAR moved into the neighborhood!!! :unsure::lol:

I had a much more MILD funny today. I was looking for a cache and looked up into a tree where I saw a "birds nest" and fishing line! I thought "Ahhhh HA! Gotcha!" It was a few feet above me and I couldn't reach it, so I went to the car, got my mother-in-law's wheel chair, brought it over, set it up, put on the breaks, stepped into the chair and reached into the birds nest! Out came the MADDEST Mama bird that EVER was!!! She flew to another tree and cussed me up one side and down the other! Poooooor thing! I nearly had a heart attack and I'm sure SHE did too! A few minutes later I found the real cache... in the tree next door! :lol:

A few weeks ago we were out caching in the countryside where the series were "meat" related so good fun, a steak here a chop there and so on. The gps took us past GZ for some reason and when i looked down there on the ground a good bit away from GZ was a small rubber chicken which was. used for the cache but was empty, so we assume Mr or Mrs Fox thought it was chicken for dinner that night?

That is really funny! And to think there are people out there that don't belong to this geocache world! Always interesting! I like the rubber chicken idea for a cache!

Oh my gosh! I KNOW for positive I would GIVE UP caching if BEAR moved into the neighborhood!!! :unsure::lol:

I have not yet seen a bear while out caching but I've come across some fairly fresh bear scat that was only a couple hundred feet from where my son goes to gymnastics. The funny part was that I had gone looking for a cache nearby that was rated 4 stars. I looked for awhile and found a pen on the ground which I cito'd out. On the way back I saw the bear scat and took a picture of it, using the pen next to it to give it some scale. A couple of hours later, at home, I posted my DNF, with a copy of the photo, then I thought...I wonder...sure enough, I opened up the pen and found a log sheet inside. I had go back and delete the photo, then go back the next day to replace the cache.

I also came across some tracks in the snow made by from what appeared to be a really large bear in between two stages of a multi in the woods.

I had a much more MILD funny today. I was looking for a cache and looked up into a tree where I saw a "birds nest" and fishing line! I thought "Ahhhh HA! Gotcha!" It was a few feet above me and I couldn't reach it, so I went to the car, got my mother-in-law's wheel chair, brought it over, set it up, put on the breaks, stepped into the chair and reached into the birds nest! Out came the MADDEST Mama bird that EVER was!!! She flew to another tree and cussed me up one side and down the other! Poooooor thing! I nearly had a heart attack and I'm sure SHE did too! A few minutes later I found the real cache... in the tree next door! :lol:

A few weeks ago I was looking for a cache and came across a small hole in a tree that I pointed out to my son and said it would have been a good spot for the cache. I poked my finger in and and a bird flew out a couple seconds later.

[

Generally, geocachers breathe a sigh of relief when they do not meet the bear whilst hunting our caches...

56d99e66-333a-46bf-a80f-f70bd6b86e5f.jpg

This is Cindy Bear,from about 600'. She was not moving. I finally veered off to the left, and she went away. Bear are adorably cute, but they can be very dangerous.

One local cacher will not do any of my caches in Mount Hope Historical Park because I've mentioned that Amparo Oso lives there. That's her prerogative. Amparo is a great bear! But I do not want to tangle with her. She followed me for a few hundred feet once, and I almost had a panic attack. I almost had a heart attack when I met Stumpy. (He only has three paws. The thought is that he got caught in a trap.) I guess I wasn't making enough noise. I came around a bend in the trail, and almost stepped on him! Missed him by about four feet. I couldn't move for about fifteen minutes! He took off through the mountain laurel. I felt sorry for him! Moutain laurel is really nasty stuff! (Though it is very pretty for about a month each year,)

I think that is really interesting. We have a lot of bears up here in Northern BC as well. I go geocaching a lot with my 11 year old. I have been caching in the hills and have seen bear sign and then worry because I have my daughter with me and our Bernese Mountain Dog who people might even mistake for a bear! We bring along a whistle and whistle away if we feel nervous!!

We had a cache that was a bison tube attached to a very realistic rubber spider, hanging in a tree next to a parking lot. The cache disappeared several times before we changed the container slightly and moved it to a more secluded location. At the time, I blamed the landscapers, but maybe it was a more "natural" predator?

I have wanted to do a cache like this too! I wonder, if it was a more natural predator! I am thinking maybe it was!

Although it wasn't specifically geocaching this was related...

Several years ago my two nieces came over for Easter so I filled 18 plastic eggs with pieces of candy and small trinkets. Before they came over I hid them in our small backyard. I made them really easy to find since my son was only about 3 at the time. About 20 minutes they showed up and they, along with my son, went out in the backyard for an easter egg hunt. I put out 18 eggs so each of them would have 6 eggs. After they searched for about 15 minutes they had found 13 of them. I went out to find the rest of them and didn't find them in the spots where I hid them. Then I found one of them in a different area of the yard with a hole chewed in it. I ended up find two more like it and never did find the other two. I assume the squirrels go the rest and they were only out about 20 minutes. I suspect that a cache with food in it hidden in an area with a lot of squirrels probably wouldn't last much longer.

Someone had a good treat that is for sure!

We went to find one by cabbos that was well and truly chewed.. teeth marks in the lid going completely through the plastic and bite makes on the container, even missing bits of the log book..

Something sure got something's attention..

That is for sure! Always interesting in this geocache world isn't it!!