Deceased cacher

Monrick

Can somebody help?

I had the widow of fellow cacher want me to take over her late husband caches.

I said I would but don't know where to go from there.

I have found all five of his caches and one is not reachable and one was placed close to his school and was filled with tampons and school junk!

I want to move the school one father away from the playground so the kids that know where it is won't find it.

CB was a teacher with two small kids that loved to go geocaching whith there dad.

His wife found out about the vandals on his school cache and wants me to archive it!

I don't think she understands how much time he put into geocaching and I would like to just move it

So maybe his kids can grow up and go back to that cache.

Can somebody help me make the right choice

Unless someone has access/the password to his account it will be difficult/impossible.

- With access to the account, the caches could be offered to you for adoption -

The other option is Archive, and then you place new caches in the same spot...

(Groundspeak might allow adoption, if someone has access to the account holders email and contacts them through it... May be worth a try)

Unless others have any suggestions?

Edited by Bear and Ragged

As Bear and Ragged mentioned, if she has access to the caching account password then it's pretty simple. She can logon as her husband, offer the caches to you for adoption, and then you can do with them whatever you feel is best (within the guidelines, of course!)

Without the password I think all she can do is email contact@geocaching.com and explain the situation and see what they are willing/able to do.

Can somebody help?

I had the widow of fellow cacher want me to take over her late husband caches.

I said I would but don't know where to go from there.

I have found all five of his caches and one is not reachable and one was placed close to his school and was filled with tampons and school junk!

I want to move the school one father away from the playground so the kids that know where it is won't find it.

CB was a teacher with two small kids that loved to go geocaching whith there dad.

His wife found out about the vandals on his school cache and wants me to archive it!

I don't think she understands how much time he put into geocaching and I would like to just move it

So maybe his kids can grow up and go back to that cache.

Can somebody help me make the right choice

Hi Monrick. There are options available to the deceased cachers family. Have the widow contact Groundspeak if she doesn't have access to the online account. It has been discussed here before. Here is the best explanation I could find on short notice. Note that I am pointing you to a previous response by Keystone. If you see it was posted by Keystone, it's so.

Keystone Link

I'm very sorry for the loss of your fellow cacher Monrick

...Without the password I think all she can do is email contact@geocaching.com and explain the situation and see what they are willing/able to do.

Yes, this would be the best way to approach this situation.

Perhaps you can write an email together explaining the situation and ask them to transfer the caches to you.

As for the choice you have make whether to keep the caches online:

My partner died in December 2006.

He had made two mathematical, rather difficult Multi caches and I didn't know much about geocaching at that time.

So his geocaching buddy adopted the caches (with some help of the reviewer).

Up to this day I'm so glad these geocaches still exist and my partners geocaching buddy adopted these caches.

Not only for myself (I do go back to them regularly and sit near the site of the cache location in the woods for a bit)

I also do so enjoy reading the logs from every cacher that visit these caches.

Often they still thank my dearly beloved friend and his cache buddy for making and maintaining these caches.

The caches are a real tribute to his memory and a comfort to me.

I read that not all of the five caches are in good shape.

Maybe you can adopt and maintain the two(?) 'best' caches and adjust them slightly to make them to good geocaches again.

I realize my story is a personal experience, but it looks to me it would be great to have one or two actual caches online, representing your friends geocaching part of his life and as a dear memory for his children and his geocaching friends.

Good luck with your decision