Geocaches as Waypoints! why?

I have an Oregan 550t and have just started to download geocaches as pocket queries, previously I was doing it via the ''Send to GPS' method.......there is now a bug that prevents me from doing this. :unsure:

Anyway, my question is, why do some pocket queries save as Geocaches and others save as waypoints? I have slight OCD and I like things in the right place!!! :D It's driving me mad!

Also, what is the difference between saving a Geocache as a pocket query and saving it as 'send to GPS' method....... I mean in terms of file type, do I lose any information about the cache, that sort of thing!

Many thanks

why do some pocket queries save as Geocaches and others save as waypoints?

"Save as" where? On your computer? On your GPSr?

When you download a PQ from email to your computer, it's a .zip file. When you unzip it, it's a .gpx file. If you then drag it into the GPX folder on your GPSr (or micro-card, if it has one), it will still be a .gpx file and its contents should display as geocaches. Which of those steps is not working for you?

Also, what is the difference between saving a Geocache as a pocket query and saving it as 'send to GPS' method.......

Convenience. By using a PQ, you don't have to send each cache individually. And if you're the sort who likes to keep lots and lots of geocaches on your GPSr, it's better to have fewer big files than many small files. (You can look on Garmin's website or in previous threads here for information about file limitations.)

I mean in terms of file type, do I lose any information about the cache, that sort of thing!

If you're a Premium member (which you must be in order to have PQ capability), "Send to GPS" results in a single .gpx file. Pocket queries, as I mentioned, are .zip files that have to be unzipped into .gpx files. Someone else can verify, but I think that people who aren't Premium members only get .loc files.

Patty

Thank you for your replies.

Wintertime, I am downloading using a Mac and Garmin Base Camp. I download directly from the PQ page once query has run not via email. I have had a play around and PQ that are located in the UK are fine and load as Geocaches, PQ that I have run which are located in Italy load as Waypoints. Very confusing and frustrating as you obviously don't get the information about the Geocache when it is a waypoint!

So now I am really stuck, any ideas please!

I always use PQs, but I think Send To is LOC format as there is a GPX option next to it.

Eusty, the "LOC waypoint file" and "GPX file" options are for downloading to your computer. The "Send to GPS" option does send a GPX file--at least, it does it you're a Premium member. I don't know what happens with non-Premium members. "Send to my Phone" probably does the same, but I don't have a smartphone so I haven't tried that option.

Patty

Have you checked to see exactly where in the GPS it saves the file when you "Send to GPS"?

I know on my 62, there is a folder called "Geocaches", and one called "Waypoints".... I think I had a similar problem and ended up sending 2000 geocaches from GSAK to the wrong folder, because they all showed up as waypoints in the GPS. I'm still new to this whole Garmin "thing" :huh: , so this could be just a shot in the dark.