How to embed a Google Map onto my geocache page

Nick - Cacher

Okay, on the Google Maps website, you can create your very own custom map, with trails, etc. It'll also allow you to get html code which will let others see the actual map when viewing your website. When seeing how it shows up by trying Wordpress.com, the code to worked, but how do I get it to work on one of my cache listing websites at geocaching.com? I'm having trouble.

I created a custom google map. However, when I go to "edit listing", make sure "html" option is enabled, and paste the code Google Maps gave me, it doesn't work but rather just shows the actual code I pasted on the cache page. I noticed that on the edit listing page there's something saying some types of code may be disabled. Is there any way possible to get this google map to show up on my geocache page?

If you need specifics: This is the google map I would like to embed on my cache listing page http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210051827185659572872.0004beb9f69f387f7beb6&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=p&ll=40.832515,-111.850777&spn=0.124688,0.219727&z=12&source=embed, and here's the html code Google gave me to use to embed the map on a website

[googlemaps http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210051827185659572872.0004beb9f69f387f7beb6&msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=p&ll=40.832515,-111.850777&spn=0.124688,0.219727&z=12&output=embed&w=640&h=480]

Why I care about this map! : I just had a cache published which takes cachers to a little known trail head which takes a back scenic route to connect to a very popular hiking trail (the purpose of the cache is for those who like originality in hiking). To help others quickly visualize how the trail cuts through terrain and connects to this other one, I created this custom google map.

Edited by Nick - Cacher

Yes, that would be the way to go... If desired the OP could do the link through a reduced size (cropped) screenshot of the map that shows what it is without the detail. I'd find that preferable to just the url or a description text.

Doug 7rxc

It's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to embed the map in your cache page. You could just include a link like you did in your post here so those who are interested can view your map.

The reason I care about an actual map is some people are overwhelmed by the number of geocaches they have to look through, and will try to quickly sift through them to see which ones are just "details" and which ones they like. I'm worried that making them go to another website may make them move onto other caches if their time is limited.

Yes, that would be the way to go... If desired the OP could do the link through a reduced size (cropped) screenshot of the map that shows what it is without the detail. I'd find that preferable to just the url or a description text.

Doug 7rxc

Sounds like a good idea. My concern is the Google Map has one of those "Map data copyright 2012 Google" at the bottom. If I did a screen shot and then had a note underneath the picture saying "copyright Google" with a link to the map, do you think they'd care?

Doug 7rxc

Sounds like a good idea. My concern is the Google Map has one of those "Map data copyright 2012 Google" at the bottom. If I did a screen shot and then had a note underneath the picture saying "copyright Google" with a link to the map, do you think they'd care?

Your map is overlayed on theirs at the site... If you are unsure about using the screen shot (reduced), then do the exact same thing showing only the trail that you marked... i.e. red on white background, then they see only the finished map on the site when they link to it... since it's your trail sketch no problems.

It's not hard to remove everything but the track using an image editor, if you can't manage that there are many here that could do it and send one along to your email address or by PM. I might even find time myself, BC could as well I'm sure.

edit: Why not, I said...

trail.jpg

Just grab it from here since I don't have a direct email for you.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc