Way to acknowledge unwanted Caches.

Dirt Hawker

It would be nice to have a way to "acknowledge" a cache you never intend hunt. This would not give you credit for the find, but the search would treat them as found and not display them. There are a large (and growing) number of urban caches in my area that I have no interest in searching for, so a way to keep them from cluttering up my search page would be appreciated.

Or at least something that would sort them seperatly.

We here at Clan Ferguson have decided not to hunt Locationless, Virtual, or Micro caches. as we are into Trading trinkets. and as of late in our area there are poping up a lot of the above mention types.

Thanks

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

I third that! I have to keep expanding outwards from my home area to find caches I want to seek but that means clicking through lots of pages. If I could 'check off' caches I don't want to see in my listings it would be great. Also, I'd like to narrow searches down to like "only caches North of me" or "exclude caches in zipcodes..." or "exclude caches in these counties..." these features would be a big help.

Yes, this would be good. What was suggested before was an "ignore this cache" button just like we have a "watch this cache" button now. Once you clicked on it, it would mark that cache as ignored and you either would not see it at all, or at the very least, it would go into an "ignored" listing down near the bottom of the page similar the "found" and "hidden" listings we have now.

I'm not in favor of displaying on the cache page how many people are ignoring the cache as some had suggested. I think it should not matter. The ignore function should be for convenience, not as some kind of simplified rating.

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

I have voted for an "Ignore This Cache" button every time the idea has been suggested. I do it again now.

There are so many caches available in most areas that you can afford to be more particular. It would be convenient if you could ignore the caches that don't interest you. They could be listed at the bottom of "My Cache Page" just like the watch list at the top.

rdw

Every week or so I download all the new caches in my area and using GeoBuddy, convert them to an MS Streets and Trips import file.

I use streets and trips to have a really good view of where the caches are. As you zoom out the icons stay the same size so you can have a good over view and then zoom in for a close up of exactly where the cache is.

I colour code the icons. I use Yellow for ones I haven't looked for, green for finds, red for not founds, dark blue for my caches and when I first import I set the colour to the new ones to light blue.

Where am I going with this? Well I pretty much don't ever use the geocaching page to decide what caches to visit. As such, I am able to delete the ones I'll never go to!!!

Another feature of S+T is that if you hold down the control key and click a waypoint it looks in the dataset for a URL and lauches your web browser!

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I meant to submit this as a suggestion myself, so I very heartily support this feature.

An additional feature I would like to see on the Search page is to ignore Found caches as well. My list of found caches close to my home zip code is considerabley larger than the list of unfounds, and each search results page only displays a few unfound cashes while filling the page with found cashes. This makes the use of the easyGPS download less efficent as well because I need to download several files with only a few caches each from consecutive results pages.

I notice people keep complaining about having to view caches they don't want to seek, but never complain about having to go past pages and pages (and pages) of caches they HAVE found (or, in some cases, hidden) before coming upon anything new or desirable.

Maybe simple choices like "show all caches," "show only new caches," or "show only unfound caches" with checkboxes to select/deselect certain caches one wishes to ignore would please everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

never complain about having to go past pages and pages (and pages) of caches they __HAVE__ found (or, in some cases, hidden) before coming upon anything new or desirable.

Maybe simple choices like "show all caches," "show only new caches," or "show only unfound caches" with checkboxes to select/deselect certain caches one wishes to ignore would please everyone.

Now, now, never is awfully absolute. icon_biggrin.gif In some previous thread discussing ways to limit the cache listing search results I mentioned that I would like some sort of toggle type setting to allow me to get a list without caches I had previously found and without caches I have hidden in addition to skipping those I have specifically ignored. I agree with your idea.

T-storm

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

never complain about having to go past pages and pages (and pages) of caches they __HAVE__ found (or, in some cases, hidden) before coming upon anything new or desirable.

Now, now, never is awfully absolute. icon_biggrin.gif In some previous thread discussing ways to limit the cache listing search results I mentioned that I would like some sort of toggle type setting to allow me to get a list without caches I had previously found and without caches I have hidden in addition to skipping those I have specifically ignored. I agree with your idea.

T-storm

Just by ignoring the caches I've already found or placed myself, I could reduce the number of pages to scroll through on a 100 mile radius search from 10 to 5, and reduce the first 4 pages to 1. PLEASE implement this!

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY endorse an Ignore button! #1 feature I'd like to see added!

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by chloew:

I meant to submit this as a suggestion myself, so I very heartily support this feature.

An additional feature I would like to see on the Search page is to ignore Found caches as well. My list of found caches close to my home zip code is considerabley larger than the list of unfounds, and each search results page only displays a few unfound cashes while filling the page with found cashes. This makes the use of the easyGPS download less efficent as well because I need to download several files with only a few caches each from consecutive results pages.

I AGREE! I also need a filter that masks CACHES YOU FOUND and those marked as IGNORE or DON'T WATCH.