Planning trip to AZ and looking for a caching partner

tabbikat

Hi cachers.

I'm in the planning stage of a trip out west from Delaware to visit a non-caching friend for Thanksgiving. I'm looking for someone in the area to cache with on Tuesday 11/20 in the afternoon. I would like to get the oldest cache in Arizona plus others in the area. Since I've never hiked in AZ before, I don't really want to go alone.

If anyone in the area has already done the oldest cache and would like to go again, that would be great or if it's been on someone's to-do list for a long time and would like to go, that would be perfect too.

Thank you!!! :)

Christine - Tabbikat

Sounds like you need to convert your non-caching buddy into a caching buddy - at least temporarily. If he refuses, go to the pet store and buy a big-dig collar and a leash.

Then, if he whines and cries.... Find some good looking girls and have them walk in front of you. Lol

Just kidding. We're going to AZ in June. Should be a wonderful trip!

Not to ignore your original request, but Az is just fine to hike alone in, especially in Nov. In fact, I always say the best time in Az is March and November. The weather will be perfect.

That being said, get yourself a basic camelback, basic hiking stuff and you're good to go.

I've done the majority of my geocaching in the Az desert with only croc flip flops and a bottle of water. Most desert finds are prety obvious and easy. Big ol pile of sticks and dead cactus in a heap near a tree. Give the pile a kick with your shoes and you're good to go!

This might be a good time convert your non-caching friend though. Just tell them it will be a nice hike through the desert! After one find, they'll be hooked.

Good Luck!

GC10E – Cone Mountain is the oldest cache in AZ. Unfortunately it is on State Trust Land. You need a permit to use State Trust Land. Call (602) 364-ASLD about a month before you leave to get a permit.

I assume you will be in the Phoenix area. My daughter attends AZ State University in Tempe. Here are a few on campus caches you might enjoy.

G.U. Tempe – ASTRONOMY 101

Stage Door

World Traveler

Tower A Treasure

Waiting for a Date

Hayden Library Gardens

Secret Garden II

Tempe Historical Museum

Across the River in Papago Park there are a bunch more.

Sounds like you need to convert your non-caching buddy into a caching buddy - at least temporarily. If he refuses, go to the pet store and buy a big-dig collar and a leash.

Then, if he whines and cries.... Find some good looking girls and have them walk in front of you. Lol

Just kidding. We're going to AZ in June. Should be a wonderful trip!

When you get back please post your comments about your trip on your request for info on your post.

Yes, I thought geocache was the oldest cache is Az...

State trust land. I dunno. I never had a pass. Here in WA, I se them ticketing all the time when people don't have a pass. In Az, I don't know a soul that had a state trust pass. Not one person.

Guess its better to be safe than sorry though...

Weewillie-good for you. Having a permit is the right thing to do...

I think the problem was that I never had an idea of where the heck state trust land was. Seems like if I stepped off my front porch, then I needed a permit.

I think it was at fantasy island where we all realized that nobody there cared about or had the permit.

Here in WA, everyplace is clearly labeled when the discovery pass is needed. I don't dare go without one!

I like the titan sites. I think philbeer has a series around them in Tucson, and there used to be a wonderful virtual at the museum in green valley. The tour is fantastic...

Hi cachers.

I'm in the planning stage of a trip out west from Delaware to visit a non-caching friend for Thanksgiving. I'm looking for someone in the area to cache with on Tuesday 11/20 in the afternoon. I would like to get the oldest cache in Arizona plus others in the area. Since I've never hiked in AZ before, I don't really want to go alone.

If anyone in the area has already done the oldest cache and would like to go again, that would be great or if it's been on someone's to-do list for a long time and would like to go, that would be perfect too.

Thank you!!! :)

Christine - Tabbikat

When you do come to AZ, please include the Prescott area; there's a lot of caches here that are very interesting (some cachers in the Phoenix area who've been here call this area "Ravenland Geo-Amusement Park").

Edited by AeroMechAZ