Hiding a Cache, Denied

SiouxFallsGeocacher

Not sure if this is the correct location for this but I am curious.

I was long a geocacher in the past and stopped for awhile and recently joined back up, bought a house across the street from a nice park and I wanted to provide a safe cache. There use to be a cache in the park but there were too many mugglers, and it was small and exposed to weather. That cache has since been removed, and I placed a very solid, weatherproof cache in the back of my yard in a safe, easy to find area, good parking, away from the busy park traffic, and thought it would be great for the kids, cachers. Also filled it with trackables and other items. Well the closest cache to me was .1 miles away, and I have now been denied 3 times saying there is a premium puzzle cache too close to me.

Are we really blocking out high quality, safe caches, filled with items, not just a log, lots of trackables inside, which are located in safe, private areas, which are open to all basic members, all because there is a single premium puzzle which is a few feet too close?

There are parts in my town where there are 10+ caches located within the .1 miles of each other, they all seem to have been added just fine, but when I add 1 in the part of town where there are the least caches, then it gets denied?

I understand if things are getting too saturated, but this it the least saturated part of town, and also its not like I can pick up and move my house/yard to a better location.

Sorry for the long drawn out post, I am just highly disappointed.

Edited by SiouxFallsGeocacher

If the one you placed is to close to a waypoint for another, then its a cut and dry matter. It is to close to another cache or way point I have had this problem just like many others.

I would suggest that you work with the owner of the puzzle cache. Explain the situation to them. I would bet they would be willing to help you out.

I dont think anything can be done even with the other owner because if their cache is too close, I would have to move mine too far away to get it to the 528ft, I wanted one in my yard by the park in a safe spot, My yard isnt big enough to move the cache 50+ feet or it wont be in my yard anymore and it will be in a creek, streets or in the public park. So I guess I will just trash it.

Are we really blocking out high quality, safe caches, filled with items, not just a log, lots of trackables inside, which are located in safe, private areas, which are open to all basic members, all because there is a single premium puzzle which is a few feet too close?

Yes. We really are. There is a proximity rule that's been in place forever. We play this game by the rules. Your proposed new cache is too close to another, already existing cache.

. That still doesnt answer the question of why they do not want more/better caches out on the communities.

How do you know yours is better?

I'd much rather find a puzzle cache, than ANY cache in someone's yard. I hate private property caches...bleh

Well good for you, Id rather find trackables, and lots of other items, and my private yard runs along a tree lined path along a creek, really dont even see my house or yard, very private.

But everyone has their opinions.

Enjoy your caches

If you haven't found the puzzle cache, how do you know what it does or doesn't contain? For that matter, how do you know whether or not the puzzle cache leads you to a really nice spot of its own? Puzzle caches lead to real, honest-to-goodness containers that might have great trackables and swag, and they might be hidden in great locations. You won't know until you solve the puzzle and find the cache. And until you find the puzzle cache, you can't know how close your proposed cache is to the puzzle cache's actual location. How do you know it isn't in your next door neighbor's back yard?

--Larry

Well good for you, Id rather find trackables, and lots of other items, and my private yard runs along a tree lined path along a creek, really dont even see my house or yard, very private.

Enjoy your caches

You may well have a wonderful spot for a cache and it isn't the first time someone who had a great spot for a cache stymied because it was too close to another cache. I have a great spot for a cache in mind at a 100 year old school house (now a museum) that is blocked by a cache in a parking of the shopping mall 450 feet away.

In the end, rules are rules and we all have to play by them.

Edited by briansnat
Are we really blocking out high quality, safe caches, filled with items, not just a log, lots of trackables inside...

Are you seriously implying that the reviewer should somehow judge the quality of one cache over another? :yikes:

I only want to sign the logsheets of caches I find, and usually the swag just gets in the way and slows me down. So if I had to judge quality in the area I review, no caches larger than a micro would ever get published.

Another reviewer in my area doesn't like puzzles. So he would never publish those.

Be careful what you ask for.

There are parts in my town where there are 10+ caches located within the .1 miles of each other, they all seem to have been added just fine, but when I add 1 in the part of town where there are the least caches, then it gets denied?

That's your first problem. There was a time when there where so few caches, no-one bothered thinking they would get to close. Those caches are probably from that time, and are grandfathered in. And who's to say the other cache isn't in some other cacher's yard and you just have to do the puzzle? I've been denied because my cache was close to a puzzle, and I had the perfect hide, a D5-T1, but I had to suck it up. in fact 3 out of my first 4 caches had that problem. Oh well.

Yes. Geocaching.com really refuses to list new caches with containers or other physical stages that are within 528ft/161m of containers or other physical stages of existing caches.

Issues like quality, safety, container size, contents, private or public status of the location, PMO or non-PMO status, cache type, etc. are irrelevant.

See also the Help Center article Checking for Cache Saturation.

I guess what I'm saying is...the OP seems pretty well versed on geocaching, rules, existing caches, but couldn't remember their username? And just signed up yesterday?

I think I'm smelling little creatures under bridges.

Well that is interesting.

They know enough that they want to keep their real identity a secret.

Interesting.

So what did you want from us here?

A lot of people saying 528 feet is a problem so we should all get together and get Groundspeak to change it just for your cache?

This subject has been discussed in these forums a hundred times or more already. There are good reasons for the distance between caches. Sometimes it comes up inconvenient for a cacher but that does not make it a bad rule.

I'm sorry it is inconvenient for you. It is still a good rule and applies to everyone.

Go out and make a good cache somewhere else.

If you keep complaining people will respond to the nature of your post which is, "If I don't get my way I'm taking my toys and going home." Not a good way to start to get positive responses.

Now go play the game, have fun, and quit complaining about the rules which ALL OF US play by.

Have had the perfect location for a cache of my own foiled by the proximity rule - it was a themed puzzle cache, WP1 giving a clue to the theme, and the Final at another part of the theme...... but found a just as good a spot about 100m away.... outside proximity of the other cache, but still in view of the theme.

Enjoy your caches

You may well have a wonderful spot for a cache and it isn't the first time someone who had a great spot for a cache stymied because it was too close to another cache. I have a great spot for a cache in mind at a 100 year old school house (now a museum) that is blocked by a cache in a parking of the shopping mall 450 feet away.

In the end, rules are rules and we all have to play by them.

Yep, same here. It's getting harder and harder to hide a cache. Many people are playing these days the good locations are filling up. I just found a newly blazed trail this weekend, checked for nearby caches -- none. Placed the cache but the reviewer tells me someone has placeholders along that trail -- they're preparing a multi. So I'm out of luck unless they decide to relinquish the area.

I tried to place that same cache about a month ago. Found a nice spot in a hollow tree but the spot was about 15m too close to a rock pile cache with poor coordinates, many DNFs and a couple of NMs. It's been out there 2 years and the active owner won't fix the coordinates. The cache is there and occassionally gets found (about 1 in 10 DNFs). So that cache hide was a bust.

And 2 months before that, in a different forest I tried to place that cache and got stymied by a tree-climbing cache that I had placed on my ignore list.

It's good that the game is so popular and there are so many caches to find but it's also frustrating that the game is so popular and there are so few good spots (for me that would be pleasant forests, within 20m of a trail) to hide a cache. But I don't feel the .1 mile rule (161m) should be relaxed.

I would explain the situation to the owner of the puzzle cache and see if it possible to work together. If you don't try, you'll never know if this could have been worked out in your favour. Don't forget to go out and get some finds with your new username, or seekers will wonder if you're a one cache wonder! ;)