Color or Black and White

Hi all,

At the moment i own a fortrex 301 (great little device)....used for mountain biking and some geocaching....

I love how the screen is easy to read in bright sun, but i want to be able to see the extra info - tips/hints etc.. you get with premium membership. I am interested in a basic etrex 10 or perhaps a dakota 10. I like the idea of a touch screen but i am not sure that the readability from posts i have read is up to much?

I am really torn between good readability and getting a colour screen basic gps with geocaching.

My priority is easy on the eye text info and obviously accurate positioning. What options have i got here in the uk??

My budget will stretch £200 uk pounds...

Cheers.

Chris Scott,

Derbyshire,

UK.

Thanks for the quick reply...

I did not include the '20' because i have been put off by the ongoing 'sticky' problem...??

As we all know scrabbling around in the bracken is not a speedy process lol!

I would be not too happy if the gps froze on me..

Have you had any experience/knowledge of this problem??

Cheers.

Chris.

Thanks.... i did like the look of the '20'....and i have read it is sunlight readable?

Not sure about the etrex 'joystick' but i have got used to the '301's buttons so i am sure i would get used to a '20'.

Still i am tempted to got for the cheaper etrex 10 for one thing because i like a clear display - i dont like the colour tft wiggle to get the angle right for viewing. And for another thing i was in maplins this afternoon and saw an etrex 10 - i was tempted!! lol....

Thought they had a price of £109... i have seen it for £89 online.

The problem is i only need a basic unit but i love gadgets.. :rolleyes:

Do you know apart from the screens is there any difference between the etrex 10 and 20 ?

Also what is the difference between the Dakota 10 and eTrex 20 screens?? (apart from touch and non-touch) ??

Thanks for the help.

Chris.

Never used a Dakota but can confirm that the Etrex screen is extremely readable in sunlit and dull conditions, far better than the grayscale (B&W) screen that I had on my old Etrex Legend H.

Bear in mind the basemap on the 10 is all but useless so I suspect at some time you'd want to load maps, which you can't do on the 10. Free ones for the Etrex 20 are available at www.talkytoaster.info

Never used a Dakota but can confirm that the Etrex screen is extremely readable in sunlit and dull conditions, far better than the grayscale (B&W) screen that I had on my old Etrex Legend H.

Without any backlight applied, I claim the opposite:

Etrex 20/30 screen nearly unreadable in dull-ish conditions with a very limited effective viewing angle while the grayscale on the old devices (I have a classic Legend without the H) remains perfectly readable under the same conditions.

However the comparatively low power consumption on the 20/30 devices means you can compensate with a tiny bit of constant backlight which makes it readable in almost any condition. I prefer two "steps" on the backlight setting. Battery life with this lowly set backlight will still be great, count on 20+ hours.

I'd keep away from the eTrex 20/30 devices for now though. There are simply still too many annoying firmware bugs that need to be resolved before it could be rated field worthy. The "sticky issue", however, is kind of resolved as of firmware version 2.71 and higher. But only so if you skip using the Glonass satellites.

Lol back to where i started now.....dakota or etrex 10 and also the 20!!

Does anyone have experiance of the etrex 10 grey screen....as not many comments....

i have seen the etrex 10 for £90 and the 20 for £149 at halfords. On the net i have seen the dakota 10 for £120. Therse are in my budget but after looking and reading i am going bonkers trying to decide...

cheers.

chris.

Chris, it isn't just that you won't have color maps on an eTrex 10, you won't have any decent maps. The basemap will show only major roads. I strongly suggest that you consider an eTrex 20 if you go for the eTrex line. Or maybe the Dakota 10 would be better for you.

I find my eTrex 20 very readable during the day. You can change the foreground and background colors to ones you prefer.

Wintertime is right, the screen is very readable on the Etrex 20 :)

As for the idea that GLONASS doesn't work I have my Etrex 20 working with GPS and GLONASS, and have run it like that since the day I got it. No sticky problem either. Of note perhaps is the fact you are in UK, so am I, so is croeswdr ... who also is on this forum and runs GPS and GLONASS with no sticky problem. It's quite possible the sticky problem is limited to those in the US :unsure:

Did someone call my name...?

Yes, I have an Etrex 20 - had it since early January.

What kind of problems have I had with it? Nothing at all, an absolutley fantastic bit of kit (in my opinion).

Play your cards right and you'll get one for about £140'ish.

Go on...you know you want to!

Croesgadwr

North Wales.

Lol yes thats just it i am bursting at the seams !! (one note i am tight as a ducks A***!) so when i buy something i have done as much digging as possible.

I want to make sure it is going to do what i intend...and with help from 'real' user's i hope to get the best item i can.

Wish i could go somewhere to have a play first really...i have seen a switched off etrex 10 (lol) and about 42 million youtube video's of everything else...!!

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by goose157

Just to throw something else into the confusion...

..you can get an Oregon 450 for a tenner over your original budget....

An Oregon 450 is a great unit if you like touchscreens....my wife loves hers.

IMO I think the 62S is the best thing going.

No matter what you get watch for sales.....there are HUGE discounts on most models from time to time.

Hi all,

At the moment i own a fortrex 301 (great little device)....used for mountain biking and some geocaching....

I love how the screen is easy to read in bright sun, but i want to be able to see the extra info - tips/hints etc.. you get with premium membership. I am interested in a basic etrex 10 or perhaps a dakota 10. I like the idea of a touch screen but i am not sure that the readability from posts i have read is up to much?

I am really torn between good readability and getting a colour screen basic gps with geocaching.

My priority is easy on the eye text info and obviously accurate positioning. What options have i got here in the uk??

My budget will stretch £200 uk pounds...

Cheers.

Chris Scott,

Derbyshire,

UK.

Is the etrex 10 screen even close to the killer screen on the foretrex 301? (I have a 301 also... And etrex 20 )

Lol yeah! quack!.... omg! too much choice....i started out thinking i just want a basic paperless unit and now i want paperless big screen full maps non black and white accurate to with in a inch love machine....should have bought an etrex 10 and not come on here to see what i was missing...

P.s thanks for the offer sussamb,(If you were closer you could come and try mine ... I'll be in Debyshire on 31 May though, as I start my Pennine Way walk on 1 June) but i have absolutely no doubt i will have decided by then he he!

It would be a shame to go out and buy a unit that won't allow you to benefit from the superb maps provided by www.talkytoaster.info

I would advise that you download the maps to a 4gb micro sd card, and install it in your new device (assuming it will have an sd slot?).

I notice that you have premium membership....so a decent GPS and Talky's maps, and you're away!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the info... on consideration i really am coming around to the etrex 20....it is nosing ahead of the pack in my price range...

The idea of sunlight readable.. and maps in colour....

Me and the Mrs have been browsing and it is available from halfords (web order) for £149... i like he idea i can pick up from the shop...and if it goes wrong pop back with it, instead of the pain of returning to some non-de-script web site... yes definitely gone to top of the list (for now)

I will be ordering before the end of the week (something)....me thinks... :blink:

Cheers,

Chris.

It's quite possible the sticky problem is limited to those in the US :unsure:

Sweden here in fact, so not that far away, unfortunately the machine was sticky as a heap of rubberglue before 2.71.

Not sticking for a few meters, but fifty or so.

Mine isn't the only one I've seen stick (with my own eyes) but in fact two other eTrex30 devices bought weeks apart in time from different shops,

therefore I feel there is at least some validity in my criticism.

Anyway I think it is history with v2.71 onwards.

Edited by tr_s

It's quite possible the sticky problem is limited to those in the US :unsure:

Sweden here in fact, so not that far away, unfortunately the machine was sticky as a heap of rubberglue before 2.71.

Not sticking for a few meters, but fifty or so.

Mine isn't the only one I've seen stick (with my own eyes) but in fact two other eTrex30 devices bought weeks apart in time from different shops,

therefore I feel there is at least some validity in my criticism.

Anyway I think it is history with v2.71 onwards.

The " sticky " was an issue with ALL newer Garmin units....recent firmware corrected it on the Oregon 450 and 62S as well.

The deed is done ordered an etrex 20.... fingers crossed... should be here tomorrow....halfords £149 online order....whoopeee!! lol... i will post as soon as i can what i think of it...

A big thanks to all for your insider knowledge... :D

Cheers,

Chris.

The deed is done ordered an etrex 20.... fingers crossed... should be here tomorrow....halfords £149 online order....whoopeee!! lol... i will post as soon as i can what i think of it...

Cheers,

Chris.

I guessing you will be glad you stepped up to the 20.

Cheers,

Chris.

Was only joking mate...the Etrex 20 is crap, sent mine back after 2 days!!

Cheers,

Chris.

Was only joking mate...the Etrex 20 is crap, sent mine back after 2 days!!

Was only joking when I said I was only joking....it really is an excellent GPS'r.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with it at the sharp end.

Good purchase, you won't regret it.

Croesgadwr.

lol had me shaking in my boots........thought oh no been took up the garden path the swines! (only joking,joking,joking) he he.....

Yep i will post as soon as i have a had a good play. My wife is off all week and i have booked friday off with a view for a bit of caching/hiking.

So i intend to get to grips with it a may be post a few pics. i will be taking the trusty old fortrex 301 too!!...just in case i have bought a lemon.

Cheers.

Edited by goose157

Got it!.... first inpressions.... errrmm well ok but not as good as hoped....menu is a bit fiddly - i will get used to it.Buttons very hard to press , perhaps they will loosen up?

Screen good in bright light, but it reminds me of an old phone!. These things aside i think i will get to like it once out and about. I have downloaded talkytoaster GB maps and put on my micro sd card - great improvement on basic base maps. cannot comment on accuracy yet as not had chance to use in anger. One thing that look great is the geo info - hints/description/logs at yourfingertips...

Will post further when i hve used for a while to get a better feel for this new gps.

P.s also upgraded firmware from 2.5 to 2.73.

Cheers,

Chris.

Got it!.... first inpressions.... errrmm well ok but not as good as hoped....menu is a bit fiddly - i will get used to it.Buttons very hard to press , perhaps they will loosen up?

Screen good in bright light, but it reminds me of an old phone!. These things aside i think i will get to like it once out and about. I have downloaded talkytoaster GB maps and put on my micro sd card - great improvement on basic base maps. cannot comment on accuracy yet as not had chance to use in anger. One thing that look great is the geo info - hints/description/logs at yourfingertips...

Will post further when i hve used for a while to get a better feel for this new gps.

P.s also upgraded firmware from 2.5 to 2.73.

Cheers,

Chris.

Welcome to the Etrex 20 owners club...

You'll find you've made a wise purchase.

Update after i got home from work today me and the wifey popped out for a quick cache!! 7.5 miles later, 6 finds and 3 hours of testing lol! in the feckin' rain! i can say its brilliant, love it, with the maps and the paperless functions it has added another dimension to the game...so much so the Mrs has said she wants another one for herself...(might get her a 10 to play with if she is a good girlie) he he. Seriously though well pleased - battery life is great and it seems a little bit more accurate than the fortrex 301...screen very readable and i am finding my way around the menu...

Cheers,

Chris. :)

Good to know ... :)

Just ordered an etrex 10 for mrs - she loves the paperless aspect of the 20 but is not so bothered about colour screens/maps.. so saved a few quid. Halfords again £89.99... yes i know with the money i have spent on the 10 and the 20 i could have gone a bit up-market, we like the idea of our own devices as she is forever asking about 'how far?' and 'what was that clue again?'

So as we liked the 20 so much it seemed like a good idea!!

Chris :rolleyes:

Edited by goose157

Update after i got home from work today me and the wifey popped out for a quick cache!! 7.5 miles later, 6 finds and 3 hours of testing lol! in the feckin' rain! i can say its brilliant, love it, with the maps and the paperless functions it has added another dimension to the game...so much so the Mrs has said she wants another one for herself...(might get her a 10 to play with if she is a good girlie) he he. Seriously though well pleased - battery life is great and it seems a little bit more accurate than the fortrex 301...screen very readable and i am finding my way around the menu...

Cheers,

Chris. :)

Told you the Etrex 20 was a pearl. I know that some people have had 'issues' with theirs, but I can't praise mine highly enough.

I don't know anything about the Etrex 10, but to be honest I've not seen many (if any), complaints about them on this forum.

So fingers crossed that your missus is pleased with the E20's little brother.

... yes i know with the money i have spent on the 10 and the 20 i could have gone a bit up-market,

"Could have gone 'up-market' from an Etrex 20"........ Shocked, Insulted, Gobsmacked, Incredulous...

almost (but not quite) speechless... Tut, tut...you wipper-snapper!

Croesgadwr (still shaking his head!!) :blink:

Edited by Croesgadwr

lol.... its weird really when you think about it...adults wandering around with expensive toys getting excited about finding a plastic box full of plastic toys.... lol... love it!! can't wait till tomorrow... me n' Mrs will get out hands on yet another expensive toy.... me thinks - is this a second childhood, or is it just an extension of the first?

Anyway will get around eventually to posting some pics of the 20 and 10 (when i get it)....

Cheers,

Chris.