Magellan and an Apple

geofitzfamily

My wife just bought a Magellan eXplorist GC, I can not seem to get her Apple laptop to download the caches directly to the Magellan. Was prompted to download a Mac converter for the process but doesnt seem to be working out.

Anyone else using a similar set-up that can give a newbie a hand, got a 7 year old that's going crazy to get out and do some caching!

Thanks,

Paul

I have a mac and a garmin and the way I moved caches to it was to get the pq on the desktop then plug in the garmin when it shows up on the desktop open the garmin icon then open the gpx folder take out the old gpx files and drop them in the trash delet the trash and close the gpx folder so I can still see the folder then drag the new pq to the gpx folder make sure to delet the trash can or what you took out of the gpx folder will go back in there

Paul, I have an eXplorist 710 and a Windows laptop so there are minor differences with the hardware but to transfer Pocket Queries to the Magellan GPS, I have to use Magellan's Vantage Point software:

http://www.magellangps.com/VantagePoint

I have tried the Magellan software, but don't seem to be able to get the Mac to work with it, the software is window's based. Is there a windows to mac thing I need too?

Paul, I have an eXplorist 710 and a Windows laptop so there are minor differences with the hardware but to transfer Pocket Queries to the Magellan GPS, I have to use Magellan's Vantage Point software:

I have tried the Magellan software, but don't seem to be able to get the Mac to work with it, the software is window's based. Is there a windows to mac thing I need too?

The software is for Windows OS machines only. Forget about it.

Connect your eXplorist GC to your mac via the supplied USB cable.

Turn on your eXplorist GC.

After a while you will see, on the eXplorist GC, an option to connect to PC.

Select Connect to PC. (Don't believe the marketing. A mac is a PC.)

After a while you see a new drive on your desktop called MAGELLAN.

Place your PQs in the Geocache folder on the MAGELLAN drive.

Here is a youtube video that someone did.

These same instructions can be found on page 32 of your users manual. If you have misplaced your users manual you can download a PDF version at http://support.magellangps.com/support/assets/manuals/Magellan_eXploristGC_UserHandbook.pdf

The instructions that you can use with your mac are; Installing Geocaches with Drag ‘n Drop, Installing Pocket Queries from E-mail, and Uploading Field Notes and Logs from Receiver. Just substitute the term PC for mac in your head.

Any instruction for VantagePoint or Magellan Communicator are for Windows machines only.

I have a mac and a garmin and the way I moved caches to it was to get the pq on the desktop then plug in the garmin when it shows up on the desktop open the garmin icon then open the gpx folder take out the old gpx files and drop them in the trash delet the trash and close the gpx folder so I can still see the folder then drag the new pq to the gpx folder make sure to delet the trash can or what you took out of the gpx folder will go back in there

I have tried this, has worked on a few of the caches, seems like it takes some but not others. Sooner or later I'll get the hang of this...lol

These same instructions can be found on page 32 of your users manual. If you have misplaced your users manual you can download a PDF version at http://support.magellangps.com/support/assets/manuals/Magellan_eXploristGC_UserHandbook.pdf

The instructions that you can use with your mac are; Installing Geocaches with Drag ‘n Drop, Installing Pocket Queries from E-mail, and Uploading Field Notes and Logs from Receiver. Just substitute the term PC for mac in your head.

Any instruction for VantagePoint or Magellan Communicator are for Windows machines only.

Glenn, thank you for the info. This is the way I have gotten the caches to load, for the most part. Seems like not all will load onto the GPS. I have dragged a few gpx files onto the computer and then drag them onto the Magellan, but when I restart the Magellan, not all of them appear to be loaded. Think I'm going to try just one at a time and see if that helps out.

Glenn, thank you for the info. This is the way I have gotten the caches to load, for the most part. Seems like not all will load onto the GPS. I have dragged a few gpx files onto the computer and then drag them onto the Magellan, but when I restart the Magellan, not all of them appear to be loaded. Think I'm going to try just one at a time and see if that helps out.

What if the Magellan never autoloads onto the MAC? Mine is still not recognizing the GPSr & I've followed the directions above.

What if the Magellan never autoloads onto the MAC? Mine is still not recognizing the GPSr & I've followed the directions above.

Have you ever been able to connect the GPSr to this mac?

Which step are you having trouble with?

If you are getting the message on the GPSr to select Connect to PC are you highlighting it and then pressing down on the joystick to select it.

Have you tried using a different USB cable?

Have you tried connecting your GPSr to another computer?