Cool Geodog Names

I have decided to start searching for a canine hiking/geocaching companion. I have wanted a dog for a very long time but caching alone sometimes has made me think about it more and how nice it would be to have a furry friend along. :)

At the moment I have my eye on a very sweet, somewhat timid, smaller, female Staffordshire bull terrier mix. The rescue named her Vivian. (for now at least)

Vivian was living in a cluster of bushes in the desert near Palmdale, after being used as a bait/breeding dog, and dumped in the desert covered in bite wounds, as well as a wound across her muzzle where it was taped/tied shut to keep her from defending herself.

I have been trying to come up with an interesting possible geo name for her but I have known her as Vivian for a while now and I think it has caused a block!

I know how creative a lot of cachers are with naming and creating their caches as well as their own caching names so I decided to come here and see if anyone had any good suggestions for naming my new Geodog! :)

Here is "Vivian"

308990_266568753382138_216240025081678_744477_1886958262_n.jpg

Well,how about some names for you first...Awesome,wonderful,compassionate,etc. How great that you would think to get this dog and let it feel love,friendship,compassion after all it's been through. All of us dog lovers can just imagine the joy for the dog and you to come. Please keep us posted on the story. THANK YOU!

What a great looking dog! Congrats to you and to her. Poor thing has had a rough start in life, but it sounds like you will more than make up for that. :)

As for Geocaching related names, I'm not feeling especially inspired this morning so all I can think of is Swag.

Keep us updated! She's a cutie. ;-)

It sounds like Vivian's had a very rough start in life. I hope she'll be a great companion for you.

I'm not going to suggest a specific name, just an idea...

You say she has a lot of Staffie in her: How about naming her after one of the towns/villages in Staffordshire, UK?

Ashley? Chebsey? Ellenhall? Madeley? Sheen? Yoxall? (Yoxie for short!)

MrsB :)

That is a good idea... Another caching friend suggested looking up names based on where she was found...out in the desert. I will be looking into both of these ideas. Thank you!

Well,how about some names for you first...Awesome,wonderful,compassionate,etc. How great that you would think to get this dog and let it feel love,friendship,compassion after all it's been through. All of us dog lovers can just imagine the joy for the dog and you to come. Please keep us posted on the story. THANK YOU!

You are so sweet. Thank you. I would never think of ever getting any animal from anywhere else but a shelter or rescue. There are way to many homeless animals out there to be going to a pet store or breeder. I am sure in the years to come this sweet little pooch will be giving me more than I could ever hope to give her. I'll keep you posted and let everyone know what name I end up with.....KEEP THE IDEAS COMING! :) And I will post pics once I go pick her up...it is quite a drive but absolutely worth it. :)

Well, we "rescued" a cat from a pet store while out caching one day. We call him Geo.

Funny, though, the vet calls him George. I guess he thought Geo was just short for George. We can't convince him otherwise :lol:

I have tried to think of names relating to geocaching...because this little girl will be doing her fair share of hiking with me to go geocaching but most of what I come up with sounds more boyish and she is a very sweet little girl. :smile:

What a great looking dog! Congrats to you and to her. Poor thing has had a rough start in life, but it sounds like you will more than make up for that. :)

As for Geocaching related names, I'm not feeling especially inspired this morning so all I can think of is Swag.

Keep us updated! She's a cutie. ;-)

Well, if anything new pops into your head be sure to let me know! :)

I'll just mention that over in OT we have a whole topic dedicated to canines. All doggy posts welcome - knowschad enjoys the company.

The Dog Park.

Thanks! How do I get it moved over there?

I didn't mean that you should get this topic moved over there... after all, this is about your new geocaching partner, so it is geocaching related. ;)

I just thought you might like to know about the other topic for any general dog-related chat.

Well, when a cop stopped me and asked me what I was doing I told him I was geocaching... and he corrected me and told me that hunting cachettes (kash-Ays) was not allowed in that area. Cachette sounds rather girly to me! Not that anyone would EVER associate it with geocaching! :laughing: Or... there's always

Ammo Can ... call her Ammi?

Nano ... Nan? (when you're angry she can be DAMNED NANO!)

Bug? (Love Bug, Silly Bug, Nosey Bug, Hungry Bug... never travel bug!)

I know you'll come up with something cute! Do let us know! :)

How about Film Can? Mostly black with a little grey on top :)

Our dogs are "Wedge the Cacher" and "Nestledin"

Wedge was a pit and we couldn't have asked for a better dog.

We had to put her down yesterday :sad:

So sorry for you. :sad: We had to put our Lab ,Midnight the GEO Lab, down almost two year ago and still miss her. We now have Muttly who is a Pit and very sweet who just showed up at our place and adopted us.

Edited by captnemo

Well....We finally got to pick up our newly adopted pooch yesterday and after reading many great suggestions for a new name for her...We decided to stick with her rescue name. "Vivian" She clearly knows that is her name when every you say it. It also has a pretty fitting name. Vivian comes from the latin word "vivus" which means "alive" or "full of life". Since she would have surely died out in the desert where she was found wounded, dehydrated, and starving...I think she is a very lucky girl and is alive today because of the very patient lady that rescued her. :)

Thanks again for all the great suggestions! And if you have room in your home and in your heart for a great geocaching pet...ADOPT! :)

Here are a few pics of Vivian and my son from the ride home yesterday...

2012-05-05_13-30-15_160.jpg

2012-05-05_14-31-40_155.jpg

Nice walk once we got home. :)

2012-05-05_19-09-41_633.jpg

Well she certainly looks like she has settled in with you quick, time for her lovely life to start :D

Sadly we had to put our lovely chap down a few weeks ago, but those photos remind me of when we brought him home ten years ago. He had been in the 'rescue' home for 2 years, and hadn't been well treated but as soon as he got in the car he knew he was home. Within two weeks he was the handsomest dog in town and everyone who knew him was sad to see him go.

Unfortunately he really didn't like geocaching, if the hunt took too long he would decide to take himself off, not helpful as he was mostly deaf by then and the louder you called him the faster he would run in the opposite direction.

How about Film Can? Mostly black with a little grey on top :)

Our dogs are "Wedge the Cacher" and "Nestledin"

Wedge was a pit and we couldn't have asked for a better dog.

We had to put her down yesterday :sad:

I am so sorry for your loss. :( I don't know what I will do if/when that happens to us but I am sure the great memories Vivian will give us will help when it is finally her time to pass. :)

You know....there are lots of poor pitties sitting at most shelters that would just love to fill (even though they really can't replace your Wedge)your heart a little. :)

Well she certainly looks like she has settled in with you quick, time for her lovely life to start :D

Sadly we had to put our lovely chap down a few weeks ago, but those photos remind me of when we brought him home ten years ago. He had been in the 'rescue' home for 2 years, and hadn't been well treated but as soon as he got in the car he knew he was home. Within two weeks he was the handsomest dog in town and everyone who knew him was sad to see him go.

Unfortunately he really didn't like geocaching, if the hunt took too long he would decide to take himself off, not helpful as he was mostly deaf by then and the louder you called him the faster he would run in the opposite direction.

I know what you mean. :) Vivian had been with her rescue mom for a little over a year. I guess for some reason black/dark dogs/cats are harder to adopt out... :( So much so that this month in a lot of the shelters/rescues in my area are running a campaign called "Back in Black". All the black cats and dogs are FREE to adopt at those places for the whole month. They are really trying to get people to take a chance on these great black animals. I have no idea why it is this way but it is. :(

I know what you mean. :) Vivian had been with her rescue mom for a little over a year. I guess for some reason black/dark dogs/cats are harder to adopt out... :( So much so that this month in a lot of the shelters/rescues in my area are running a campaign called "Back in Black". All the black cats and dogs are FREE to adopt at those places for the whole month. They are really trying to get people to take a chance on these great black animals. I have no idea why it is this way but it is. :(

It's true. BBDs...big black dogs (as our shelter called them), are very hard to adopt. Our local shelter would have black dog specials too.

I guess people think black dogs look mean, and black cats are bad luck.

Edited by JesandTodd

Oh, she's beautiful!! I'm so glad she has a great home with lots of great walks to look forward to with you. :)

I have a friend who's a dog trainer (and generally just doggie-crazy) and she says that the reason black animals are hard to adopt out is because they're perceived as scarier. Which is kind of funny to me; anyone who's met a pittie that's in a loving home would know that the only reason they would get scary is if someone threatened their family. :)

I'm waiting to adopt a pittie myself, when the right one comes along and we're in the right situation. I'd hate to bring a companion animal into a situation where we couldn't care for him/her.

Nice save there. Congrats on your new buddy. You're gonna get the tag to make her trackable right?

I guess so! I have to find out where to get her a trackable dog tag???

Well any ol tb tag will work. If you want her to actuall wear it you could attach the tag to her collar, or have the number from the tag engraved on whatever tag u wanted. I think the website linked above sells them already done up.

1fe0ec5c-9fe4-4216-849d-30866b68ae51.jpg

If you look real close you can see "Thunder"

And if you look even closer, he's thinking, "I ain't going in there, you find the stupid culvert cache on your own"

80200d55-41ff-4bae-adb5-2ec91d2d3ad1.jpg

That is so cute! Hey....I think I saw a post on Facebook today from Groundspeak. they are asking for submissions of our pooches out geocaching....You should send in your pics! :)

It's true. BBDs...big black dogs (as our shelter called them), are very hard to adopt. Our local shelter would have black dog specials too.

I guess people think black dogs look mean, and black cats are bad luck.

WOW! Not around where I live! Black Labs are THE most sought after dog at our shelters. When I got our little Jewl, she was only a pup... but we had to wait ... and wait... and wait... for our turn for a Black Lab! And we weren't PICKY about getting a puppy or an older dog -- just that we wanted a black lab. The shelter TOLD us it would be a wait -- because the LINE was LONG!

Great to hear that you are thinking of adopting a rescue puppy. We adopted ours in early December. She's a mix of golden retriever and something else. We've called her Jenny but when we're out caching, she's Jenny the geodog. Puppies are a lot of work for the first couple of months but they steadily improve as they get older.

Just thought I would give you a little update on Vivian. She has been so great. We have had her for two weeks today. The first few days she spent most of her time in her crate with the door open...which I only bought because her rescuer let me know that the crate was her "safe place" that she was very attached to. But she was still so sweet even though she was scared.

Her walks for the first week were a little stressful for her because so many sounds scared her. Heavy footsteps, cars driving by on the street,other dogs barking etc. Once I got her on the trails nearby she did much better. :)

She adjusted quickly to our adopted 20 lb cat Sampson. She always moves very slowly around the cat so she doesn't scare him and gives a little lick to Sampson when she can get away with it. :)

I have taken her to a regional park not far away that she loved and plopped spread eagle right in the stream that ran through it. I took her to another regional park today and she got to check out her first lake and her first look at ducks and geese.

The crate is a thing of the past now. She hasn't even looked at it for about 5 days now. She is of course spoiled rotten and loving every minute of it.....

AND YESTERDAY SHE FOUND HER FIRST GEOCACHE!!!

We have had a great two weeks with this amazing little pooch and already I can't imagine life without her. She is truly a blessing!

Thanks to everyone for all their name suggestions. I really appreciate it very much and also all your kind words.

I hope everyone has a great time caching this summer....I know we will!!! :)

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg Vivian and Sampson getting a little sun. :)

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg Vivian at O'Neill Regional Park

%255BUNSET%255D.jpgVivian's 1st Geocache! 5/18/2012

2012-05-19_11-54-08_741.jpg Vivian really wishing she could have some duck soup. ;)