Maps and a new Garmin Etrex 20

Spacegras

Hey all,

New around here, new to geocaching as well. Borrowed a buddy's Oregon 200 and I stumbled around the woods with it, didn't locate the cache I was looking for, but me and the missus had a good laugh and are planning on going on more hunts. I've looked around and found that the Etrex 20 has the features I want and is going to be my purchase in a week or so. But it doesn't come with maps, I know that Garmin has the topo maps and there are some backwoods brand, but they don't cover my region, Newfoundland Canada.

My real question is, what would you all suggest for maps? buy the Garmin ones, which I hear aren't the most detailed? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

No need to spend money for maps. I followed the A-Team's advice and got the free open source maps, they are very detailed (at least in our area, they are).

Thanks for the replies and the tips, I'll try the opensource maps when I get the unit. Does anyone know if I can buy a used copy of the Garmin Topo maps and have them work legally? The guy I'm borrowing the oregon from can get me a prev owned DVD of the topo 4.0 canada maps. will it work? or do I need to buy the license? I'm not interested in "skirting" the license, I want to be able to update the software when each becomes available.

Chris

I've got the Canadian one from here installed on my eTrex 20. Works great for caching as well as automotive use.

Nice! thanks for that link Blackrose67

well I downloaded the maps from OSM and they are great, routable and all from what I can tell. Is there any source for maps that provide contour information? free or otherwise.

Chris