Website doesn't remember me

Glenn

Is anyone else having issues staying logged in to Geocaching.com for more than a couple of hours since the Facebook login feature has been added or is it just me?

No, but I'm not using the Facebook option. Are you?

I haven't used the Facebook login and I don't plan on using it. I see no benefit in letting Facebook know I have a Geocaching account and which one. Although Facebook sure could use it push some unwanted location specific advertising my way.

Ever since the Facebook login option showed up I've had to login on my first visit of the day even tho I click on remember me. I'm going to have to remember to check tomorrow before I visit the site and see if the cookies are still there before I login. I assume that the userid cookie is the one I need to watch. It is currently set to expire on May 28th. I am having no issues with staying logged in to the forums but the forums uses a different set of cookies.

Is anyone else having issues staying logged in to Geocaching.com for more than a couple of hours since the Facebook login feature has been added or is it just me?

Yep, I have the same issue. Very annoying. Any luck monitoring the cookies yet?

I dont use facebook and my account wont remain logged in either. Its annoying but livable. Unlike the map problems Im having today.

They updated the site yesterday to fix this problem. I was experiencing it before, but not now. You still can't stay logged in?

I dont use facebook and my account wont remain logged in either. Its annoying but livable. Unlike the map problems Im having today.

They updated the site yesterday to fix this problem. I was experiencing it before, but not now. You still can't stay logged in?

Whatever the issue was it seems fixed now. I didn't do anything on my end. So it must have been something with the website.

I don't use FB, so I can't address that, but GC will not keep me logged in. I also have to go to the "play" page (or some other page) rather than the introductory page to get the "log in" feature to work at all. I cannot log in on the introductory page. Clearing cookies doesn't work.

Having the same issue. If I close Firefox or Safari and then go back to Geocaching.com website doesn't seem to remember even though I checked Remember Me, I have to log back in once again. Getting annoyed with the process.

I was told yesterday that "the developers are aware of this issue and are prepared to have it fixed with our next site release."

The only way you'd be directed to Facebook is if you clicked the "Log In with Facebook" button.

For those who indicate that they are getting logged out when they close down their browser:

• Have you cleared out your browser cache and cookies?
  • Are you logging in on another computer or device in the meantime?
  • Is your browser set to delete cookies upon shutdown?
  • Are you running any anti-virus or Internet security software?
  • What path do you typically take to arrive at Geocaching.com?
  • What browser, version, and OS are you running?

Have you cleared out your browser cache and cookies?

I have tried this but it did not make any difference. I still get logged out.

Are you logging in on another computer or device in the meantime?

Only using one device. I don't even have to close down my browser. I can log in at night and need to log back in in the morning

Is your browser set to delete cookies upon shutdown?

No

Are you running any anti-virus or Internet security software?

Avast Free version 7.0.1426

What path do you typically take to arrive at Geocaching.com?

I type in geocaching.com/my

What browser, version, and OS are you running?

Firefox 14.0 on the beta update channel. Windows 7 Home premium.

I'm having the same problem. I logon from multiple location, my android phone, my android tablet, work computer, home computer, etc. I am finding that I'm having to login much more often(even with the "Remember me" checked).

I also cannot login from certain spots on the webpage at all(any other than the logon in the upper right hand corner), with any of the devices

I use Android, and use the Chrome and Firefox browsers.

For those who indicate that they are getting logged out when they close down their browser:

• Have you cleared out your browser cache and cookies?
  • Are you logging in on another computer or device in the meantime?
  • Is your browser set to delete cookies upon shutdown?
  • Are you running any anti-virus or Internet security software?
  • What path do you typically take to arrive at Geocaching.com?
  • What browser, version, and OS are you running?

I'm now a victim of the same bug. At what seems like random intervals, I'm logged off the site and have to log in again. This happens even when I haven't closed down the browser.

Prior to this bug appearing, I've been able to stay logged in to the site for literally months at a time.

Typical scenario: I access the Geocaching.com Web site using a bookmark that points to my profile page. If I've been logged out by the site, I find myself at the Log In to Geocaching.com page. I can no longer log in from that page (see below).

If I haven't been logged out, I browse a few pages. I then go to CNN.com via another bookmark. The CNN home page replaces the Geocaching.com page. I leave the PC and go water the flowers, or make coffee, or whatever, but I don't close down the browser. An hour later, I check my e-mail and find a new-cache notification in my inbox. I click on the link to take me to the cache page for the new cache. Geocaching.com tells me I'm logged out and have to log in again. Rinse and repeat, several times every day.

The Geocaching.com Web site is the one and only Web site among dozens I access every day that's logging me off when I least expect it. I'm having no other difficulties of this sort with any other Web site.

And as other posters have mentioned, the only method that consistently works to log me back in is the login in the upper right hand corner. When I try to log in from the Log In to Geocaching.com page, after entering my Username and Password, checking the "Keep Me Signed In' box, and clicking "Sign In", the page refreshes (erasing both my Username and Password in the process), and refuses to log me in. I can no longer log in using that page, it never works now.

In case it makes any difference, when the "Login with Facebook" thing was first implemented, just for a lark I logged in from Facebook once to see if it worked. It did work, but the next time I logged in (after the Web site rudely logged me out), I used the "standard" login, and haven't messed with the Facebook login thing since then.

I've cleared my browser cache and deleted all cookies related to the Groundspeak and Geocaching.com sites. Didn't help.

I'm logging in from only one computer, though I do access the servers through GSAK and the API, and through my Android app via the API.

My browser is not set to delete cookies upon shutdown. Perish the thought.

Like all sensible computer users I have anti-virus and anti-malware software running at all times. I use Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials; virus and malware definitions are automatically kept up to date in the background. Shutting down that protection (with some trepidation) didn't help.

When accessing Geocaching.com directly, I use a bookmark that points to my profile page.

My browser of choice is Firefox (version 13.0 at this writing; set for automatic non-beta updates). The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium with all the latest and greatest updates from Microsoft.

--Larry

+1 I have the EXACT same problem. I am running an iMac OSX Lion 10.7.4 with Safari 5.1.7. I have never had this problem until I logged off one day to let a friend log on to log some of her caches. Then I can only login up at the top right login window and it never remembers me. I just deleted all of my cookies and that did not help at all. any suggestions?

I've been having this problem for a couple of days. I'd keep getting logged out, even when the browser (Firefox) was left open. Some times when I tried to re-login nothing would happen and I was redirected to the front page. Logging in through facebook would not work at all.

Just now I deleted all cookies relating to geocaching or facebook and updated firefox (I know it's bad testing procedure to try two fixes at once, but firefox updated itself automatically when I restarted).

Now at least I was able to log in through facebook, which is an improvement. Time will tell if I keep getting logged out. If so I'll report back.

Well...it's been the opposite for me! Usually I can't stay logged into GC.com. Ever. It's always been that way.

But lately I've remained logged in, even after my iPad crashes! It's so....bizarre! On both my iPhone and iPad I'll stay logged in for days at a time...it's great!

Have you tried clearing your geocaching.com cookies entirely from your browser?

The issue has got to be on the server side. After a couple of weeks of not staying logged in, I'm now staying logged in across every browser. Android, home pc, work computers, everything. I changed zero settings, cleared no files. It's been working for a week. What changed?

If it's merely a matter of clearing cookies (doesn't logging in create the cookie?), specific cookie info might be what people need. Not me, mine's fine.

If there's something special about the cookie file, I can post what mine shows, for comparison.

Edited by kunarion

Linking with Facebook should have no effect. This all sounds like a cookies issue, whether something we inadvertently changed or something that has affected older cookies on client machines. Have you tried clearing your geocaching.com cookies entirely from your browser?

Yes. I have cleared out all my cookies several times with no effect. This seems to be the standard answer to this annoying problem. Any more suggestions?

Linking with Facebook should have no effect. This all sounds like a cookies issue, whether something we inadvertently changed or something that has affected older cookies on client machines. Have you tried clearing your geocaching.com cookies entirely from your browser?

Yes. I have cleared out all my cookies several times with no effect. This seems to be the standard answer to this annoying problem. Any more suggestions?

And that is what typically fixes the issue.

I was experiencing this issue with the traditional log in from the time of the update that added the facebook log in to the time of the update after that. Once the update happened I didn't have more issues staying logged in the traditional way.

Do you know how to check to make sure that the cookie files are no longer present? It is a slightly different procedure depending on the browser and OS. Sometimes cookies can hang around after an order to delete all cookies if you are using or the browser "thinks" that you're currently using that website. So it is always a good idea to double check to make sure that that specific cookie is gone.

I'm having the same problem. Previously I stayed logged in for weeks, then all of a sudden, I have to log in any time I visit the site. I'm having the same issues as others above too where I can't login if I go to the Login to Geocaching page - I have to use the sign in at the top right, but even then if I check the box to remember me, it doesn't remember me. I have a ton of other sites that have no issues remembering me. I'm using Safari 5.1.7 on OSX 10.6.8. I've wiped out all cookies, closed the browser, tried everything that was previously suggested. Hope the problem can be identified quickly so this can be resolved!

I can't even login to the website on my android nothing types in the boxes. Samsung Capitavate

You'll get better results by starting your own topic with a title that describes your problem. The title for this topic doesn't describe the problem that you are having and someone that may be able to help you might not even click on this topic because of that.