Explorist 710 and satellite imagery

glennbp

Has anyone managed to get high resolution satellite map images on their Explorist? I have a subscription to Magellan Satellite Imagery downloads, but I can't seem to get the same kind of imagery that I have on my iPhone. The satellite maps on my iPhone are amazing and I want the same on my 710. Is this possible?

There is bound to be a difference, since they are totally different pieces of equipment.

I would expect the iPhone (or any smartphone) to have better resolution imagery since the images are dynamic. That is to say a better image would be available because it only needs to have the area you are looking at in memory. If you scroll to another area, it (the phone) downloads the image for that area.

OTOH, your GPS needs to store the whole thing in it's limited memory. In order to have a useable-sized image, the quality would necessarily need to be less.

There is bound to be a difference, since they are totally different pieces of equipment. OTOH, your GPS needs to store the whole thing in it's limited memory. In order to have a useable-sized image, the quality would necessarily need to be less.

Actually the 710 has an SD slot that could hold a map program no matter how large...as long as you could afford a mini SD large enough to hold the maps. I just got a 710 and think it would be possible.

However big your card is, it's still limited.

The manufacturer would need to provide the extreme resolution images for you to use (I guess), and they probably aren't expecting people to want to count pine cones on trees using their GPSr. :lol:

If they did provide images of that quality, owners would probably be upset that they needed a $100+ card to use them.