Newbie question

Robertyboberty

Hi,

New to this geocache game,when i get started i would like to place caches but do you really have to seek permission from landowner, this would i think be difficult and time consuming.

How do you guys go about it? is common sense all that is really needed?

Regards Rob

Hi RobertyBoberty, welcome to the game.

You are placing something on someone else's private property so yes, you need to get their permission. Especially so since the object you are placing is going to bring others there to look for it.

Looking after and maintaining a cache and checking it if it is reported missing and replacing the logs when they are full is far more time consuming in the long term. So if you don't have the time to seek initial permission, then ... <_<

Hi,

New to this geocache game,when i get started i would like to place caches but do you really have to seek permission from landowner, this would i think be difficult and time consuming.

Regards Rob

Yes, you really need permission from the landowner. If not out of respect for others, then because the guidelines say so.

It's a pretty 'hard-fast' portion of the guidelines. It helps in preventing disasters such as getting folks hurt; getting geocaching banned; etc. and etc.

Common sense is indeed needed -- obtaining permission from a landowner IS common sense.

Hi,

Regards Rob

Yes, you do! How would you like it if someone came and hid some tupperware on your property without asking, and a bunch of other people came to find it?

I'd strongly recommend you find some caches to see how it's done before trying to hide your own. There are many factors that go into hiding a good cache, and you'll want to know the common problems that can arise over time.

Edited by The A-Team

Try and find the policies for local, county and state owned parks. In many cases, geocaching is an acceptable use of the property and no explicit permission is needed. But please do check before you spend the time and effort to find a location only to have it shot down because the land agency requires a permit.

Many thanks for your replies, i will start with finding caches before placing ,i understand the need for asking permission and believe i have shown common sense and concern for the criteria in asking this question. I was thinking that if caches are already in the area i wanted to place then i could possibly take this as being a safe area? Would this be a acceptable conclusion?

Actually, no. Aside from the guideline that states that precedent does not guarantee future placement (ie: just because a certain location was okayed before doesn't mean it will be now), there are plenty of caches placed without permission and you shouldn't follow the flock if you aren't absolutely sure.

We went to place a cache in an area where there were six or seven others along a well-travelled trail. Turns out that the whole trail system is on private land. I'm not going to call out those other cache owners but I didn't want to add our name to the list if there was going to be any trouble. So we are moving it to within park boundaries instead, where we know geocaching is welcome.

Check in with your local caching group - they should be able to tell you where caches have stated permission and where they don't.

Check in with your local caching group - they should be able to tell you where caches have stated permission and where they don't.

This is very good advice. Your local caching club,(if your area has one) would likely know what areas have caching policies in place.

Some parks and public properties have policies in place, and it would save you a lot of time if you knew them.

Also, just because there are caches there, do not assume it is OK to just go hide one in that area. An example might be the state parks around here. There are a lot of caches hidden in our state parks. However, the state parks have a prossess you need to go through to hide one. If you don't your cache likely will not be approved.

Yes, and be prepared FOR IT to take some time! It took me 3 weeks to get permission to place my first cache, and then the first spot I had picked out was too close to another cache, so I had to go choose another spot... and choosing a good spot actually takes longer than FINDING a hidden cache! Those good spots hide themselves quite well! :lol:

Hi,

Just an update i have found website listing all the local areas i would like to use with email contacts.All that is required is location of proposed cache to be given, and await permission. I am getting there. :)

Emails are fine for initial contact..... but NOTHING takes the place of face-to-face discussion when making a request for permission.

Questions will arise. Face-to-face discussions allow for prompt and immediate response to questions. Email just plain.... lacks.

Take some of these printable handouts with you: http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochures/EN/EN_Geocaching_BROCHURE_online_bw.pdf

It also is a perfect three-fold to carry with you while caching.