Sterilite ultra+latch

bpwilldo

I've read some poor opinions of the Sterilite containers in the forums. Most of the posts are pretty old. I am still relatively new to this geocaching. I picked up 4 of the above subject today at my local store. I was going to get the Plano "tackle" box with the waterproof seal. I used one of the Planos on a previous hide. Anyway, I have started painting 2 of the Sterilites, the other 2 I filled with water and left upside-down for about 4 hours. They did not leak. Could it be they have been improved? Will primer and paint help with UV issues? Or, did I just waste money trying to save money? If you have experience with the exact subject item, please let me know your opinion...

Thanks

Sterlite is a long established company, which wouldn't put out any garbage. I have one of these things out in the field, and it looked like a mighty fine gasketed container in the store, so I bought it. Problem is, I've gone on a bit of a cache placing frenzy (by my standards) in 2012, and I can't remember which cache it is. Don't go by my stats on this website, I've placed several on an alternative site. But as soon as I figure out which cache I used it for, I'll get back to you. :o

I don't care for the Sterlite, or any of the models where the latch hooks under the rim. They seem to slip off too easily. I've had a few Sterlites and similar containers,and they had problems with leakage.

Anyway, I have started painting 2 of the Sterilites, the other 2 I filled with water and left upside-down for about 4 hours.

Not the best test. It's not close to what will occur in the wild. Just because it keeps water in doesn't necessarily mean it wall keep water out. Ask anybody who has used a PVC pipe cache about that.

Some people submerge their container and declare it a success when it doesn't leak. But what happens is that the water pressure can create a better seal than the cache will have in the wild.

The most realistic test I know of is to put the cache in the shower and alternate hot and cold water and frequently change the position of the container putting it on its side, and upside down. The heat and cold will mimic the expansion and contraction of air that happens in a cache as the temps change.

I don't care for the Sterlite, or any of the models where the latch hooks under the rim. They seem to slip off too easily. I've had a few Sterlites and similar containers,and they had problems with leakage.

Anyway, I have started painting 2 of the Sterilites, the other 2 I filled with water and left upside-down for about 4 hours.

Not the best test. It's not close to what will occur in the wild. Just because it keeps water in doesn't necessarily mean it wall keep water out. Ask anybody who has used a PVC pipe cache about that.

Some people submerge their container and declare it a success when it doesn't leak. But what happens is that the water pressure can create a better seal than the cache will have in the wild.

The most realistic test I know of is to put the cache in the shower and alternate hot and cold water and frequently change the position of the container putting it on its side, and upside down. The heat and cold will mimic the expansion and contraction of air that happens in a cache as the temps change.

There is no test like the 'real world' test.

Put a piece of tissue paper in it and toss it in the bushes in your back yard.

Go out there and open/close it several times a day for six months.

If the tissue is still in good shape (no water damage) after that, you could consider using that type of container for a cache.

I will say that ANY type of plastic container is destined for failure within a year here in the low deserts of Arizona. The heat and UV rays destroy nearly everything that isn't made of metal.

What I have found is that a container must be Air-tight (as opposed to just water-tight).

I have seen lots of containers with considerable liquid water inside that were in dry locations where no water could ever get to them.

Air gets sucked in from cooling and the moisture condenses, but when it expands out when heated it doesn't take the liquid water with it. Repeat this daily for a month and you can have a considerable amount of water inside.

I have seen an inch of water in a peanut butter jar after a few months that was under a roof where no rain or other water could possibly get to it and everything around it was bone dry.

Nothing will stay completely dry out here if it doesn't have an air-tight seal.