Egyptian Scarab Geocoin

CW88

I’ve been planning and designing this coin on and off for a few months now and am finally happy with the design, and am just starting production on it.

The coin is based on the Egyptian God Khepri (meaning to emerge or come into being).

A God of creation, the movement of the sun, and rebirth - and would often take the form of a scarab beetle.

The ancient Egyptians believed that the scarab/dung beetle was special, as it would lay its eggs in a ball of dung and push it along the ground, and the young beetles would eventually emerge from the ball as if created from nothing.

Believing that these beetles were created from dead matter, the dung beetle was strongly associated with rebirth, renewal and resurrection, and scarab amulets would often be buried with the dead the ensure the rebirth of the deceased in the afterlife. The Egyptians also made a connection between the movement of the sun across the sky and the movement of the ball of dung pushed by the beetle.

One myth suggests that Khepri pushed the sun across the sky ahead of him, and that this movement was constant.

Every night, Khepri would push the sun down into the underworld, and every morning the sun would emerge again and travel across the sky.

This will be a shaped coin. With a detailed 3D design on one side (around 10mm thick at its thickest point) and about 2 inches in diameter.

To start with I’m planning on 100 coins in 4 versions (all trackable with icon), but will most likely order a few hundred more afterwards.

It’ll probably take a couple of months to get these made and get samples, but will keep updating here when I can.

For now here is a look at the basic design - I'll upload a picture of the front design again once the blueprints or samples are done.

scarabpreview2edt.jpg

I’ve been planning and designing this coin on and off for a few months now and am finally happy with the design, and am just starting production on it.

The coin is based on the Egyptian God Khepri (meaning to emerge or come into being).

A God of creation, the movement of the sun, and rebirth - and would often take the form of a scarab beetle.

The ancient Egyptians believed that the scarab/dung beetle was special, as it would lay its eggs in a ball of dung and push it along the ground, and the young beetles would eventually emerge from the ball as if created from nothing.

Believing that these beetles were created from dead matter, the dung beetle was strongly associated with rebirth, renewal and resurrection, and scarab amulets would often be buried with the dead the ensure the rebirth of the deceased in the afterlife. The Egyptians also made a connection between the movement of the sun across the sky and the movement of the ball of dung pushed by the beetle.

One myth suggests that Khepri pushed the sun across the sky ahead of him, and that this movement was constant.

Every night, Khepri would push the sun down into the underworld, and every morning the sun would emerge again and travel across the sky.

This will be a shaped coin. With a detailed 3D design on one side (around 10mm thick at its thickest point) and about 2 inches in diameter.

To start with I’m planning on 100 coins in 4 versions (all trackable with icon), but will most likely order a few hundred more afterwards.

It’ll probably take a couple of months to get these made and get samples, but will keep updating here when I can.

For now here is a look at the basic design - I'll upload a picture of the front design again once the blueprints or samples are done.

scarabpreview2edt.jpg

Nice idea and I like the quote on the back. Have you seen avroair's recent coin?

The blueprint designs are nearly done now. It just needs a few minor adjustments but it should look like the picture below, and hopefully I can finalize the design within the next week or so and get started on the samples :D

Scarabcoin.jpg

how do i go about purchasing these? i absolutely LOVE them!!!

Thanks. It will still be a while until these will be available (maybe around August?) but I'll probably sell most of them through my online store.

I might do reservations for some versions too, but I'll wait until I get the samples before maybe setting that up.

Am I mistaken or the black version has more enamel on?

If it really does was it an intentional feature?

The shiny part of black one appears to just be the finish of the metal, it does not look to be enamel. I could be wrong of course. But that's what it looks like to me...

Thanks for the comments on this so far :D

The black nickel one has the same amount of enamel as the others just now - I just always get lots of reflections when I take photos of the black nickel coins.

But I'm trying to see if I can have a bit more added to the back, so that the globe, text and winged scarab stand out a bit more.

Cripes! I knew they would cost a bit with the exchange rate! :yikes:

But it looks like I'll be heading to e-bay to sell a couple of my traders, so I can offset this purchase for my little addiction :laughing:Just to clarify I was talking about other coins, not these on ebay

Can not wait to see them in hand, as they look stunning in the photos :wub:

Edit: To set the record straight, I did not grab extras, none to trade or sell

Edited by AlliedOz

Thanks for all the orders - I'll try pack them up tonight/tomorrow and hopefully send them all out Monday or Tuesday.

I am going to try and do a remint of the red/green/blue versions (hopefully quite soon but at least before the end of the year), so if you missed out on those I can set up a reservation list for them.

I'm probably also going to have a couple of new versions as there were some other finishes I wanted to try.

There will be 20 of the blue/silver, red/gold, green/copper versions available to reserve, limited to 1 set/ 1 of each version per person for now since quite a few people missed them.

Nearly half of those are already reserved so if you want any let me know. I should have them in the next 4-6 weeks. There will also be some new versions which will go on sale from my webstore again.

Does the glow in the dark version only glow at the back side ? or is ther an minting mistake ?

Only the back side glows. I did want the front to have glow too, but the glow enamel didn't work well on the 3D shape of the coin, so a white soft enamel was used instead.

Edited by CW88

I am going to try and do a remint of the red/green/blue versions (hopefully quite soon but at least before the end of the year), so if you missed out on those I can set up a reservation list for them.

I'm probably also going to have a couple of new versions as there were some other finishes I wanted to try.

Interested in being on the reservation list for future re-mints.

TY