Facebook login

Glenn

I may be wrong, but with THIS iteration, I think all the login is doing is authorization and login. Markwell on Geocaching.com=Kelly Markwell on Facebook, and if Kelly Markwell is logged in on Facebook on this particular device and I click the Facebook login, it logs in the Markwell account.

Anyway, that's all I'm seeing happening.

Personal choice. Do you want your caching activities to be posted seamlessly on facebook? If so go it, if not don't.

I don't.

Is this new integretion actually doing that?

No, it doesn't. There is a setting somewhere in your geocaching account that you can check if you want to share your logs via facebook or twitter. That existed before this update, and linking your geocaching account and facebook account does not appear to change that setting automatically. All I'm seeing is what Markwell said--it's an alternative way to login to the site. That may change in the future, but for now, that's all it is.

"There is a setting somewhere....."

The "somewhere" is one reason I stay away from facebook.

IMHO the settings should be as tight as possible as a default and let those who are willing to let all 5000 of their close friends on facebook see their information.

"There is a setting somewhere....."

The "somewhere" is one reason I stay away from facebook.

IMHO the settings should be as tight as possible as a default and let those who are willing to let all 5000 of their close friends on facebook see their information.

The "somewhere" I was referring to is actually on the geocaching.com website. Okay, I found it again: From the main screen, from the "Your Profile" menu, select "Quick View". Scroll to the bottom of the page, and along the right-hand side of the screen is the heading "Share Your Geocaching Experience." Click on the "Send Updates to Facebook and Twitter" link, and then check (or un-check) the box as you wish. Like I said, this setting existed before the recent update, and linking your accounts does not appear to change that setting. Mine was unchecked before I linked my accounts, and it is still unchecked.

IMHO, facebook has actually improved greatly in the past year with the privacy settings and controls that they offer. The bigger problem I see is that most people don't bother to take the time to learn how to properly use the controls. The help files are actually quite helpful, if you take the time to read them.

I've changed my mind.

I think I'm going to go sometime soon and do the entire "Oklahoma Land Run" power trail, enabling facebook integration and sharing of my geocaching experience, so that all my FB friends list can see hundreds of "TFTC" logs from me.

Payback for all the FB game related posts from people over the years... :ph34r:

(Note: Dear geocaching.com, please add a special cache type that allows me to pester the crap out of my FB friends list by sending requests to come help me find geocaches. Hell, I don't even care what it does - it just needs to be annoying and to spam them for help. Thanks! :anibad: )

I've changed my mind.

I think I'm going to go sometime soon and do the entire "Oklahoma Land Run" power trail, enabling facebook integration and sharing of my geocaching experience, so that all my FB friends list can see hundreds of "TFTC" logs from me.

(Note: Dear geocaching.com, please add a special cache type that allows me to pester the crap out of my FB friends list by sending requests to come help me find geocaches. Hell, I don't even care what it does - it just needs to be annoying and to spam them for help. Thanks! :anibad: )

You do realize, don't you, that hiding game alerts in facebook is a very simple process? Similarly, hiding the facebook app that posts geocaching finds should also be easy. In fact, (if it works the same as the game apps), your friends can hide everything from the geocaching app, or just posts from you from the geocaching app, and still get geocaching posts from others. Facebook controls are your friend! Learn them, use them, love them.

I've changed my mind.

You do realize, don't you, that hiding game alerts in facebook is a very simple process? Similarly, hiding the facebook app that posts geocaching finds should also be easy. In fact, (if it works the same as the game apps), your friends can hide everything from the geocaching app, or just posts from you from the geocaching app, and still get geocaching posts from others. Facebook controls are your friend! Learn them, use them, love them.

Yes... yes... yes... Yes!!

:anicute::unsure:

Thank you, BuckeyeClan :D

I have a couple of facebook friends who started posted "XXXX found Geocache Whatevername" regularly... how very boring. <_<

A quick click on the drop-down by the any one of the posts was all it took to block them. (Just those posts, not the other posts from the friends.) Same goes for any other annoying, unwanted, stuff on facebook. I use facebook daily and I'm probably one of the oldest posters on these forums... If I can learn how to control it effectively then anyone can! :D

MrsB

Allowing a FB sign on means you don't have to remember your password. I do that for some websites I visit. Of course, my computers & ipad all remember the password for Geocaching.com, so I'm usually logged on when it opens up anyway.

This is something that been done long before Facebook existed. It's a method of "single sign on" or authentication delegation. Essentially, Groundspeak (and other sites which allow Facebook logins for authentication) link an account name on their system with an account on Facebook. It's a "trusted login" mechanism that basically means that the Groundspeak authentication mechanism trusts that if someone provides valid credentials (username/password) to the Facebook site that the person trying to get into the Groundspeak site is who they claim to be.

Furthermore, Authentication is not the same as Authorization. All authentication means is that the credentials that a user provides are valid. In other words, when I log into the Groundspeak site as "NYPaddleCacher" I have to provide a password to authenticate that I am, in fact, NYPaddleCacher. Authorization is what is done to determine what "NYPaddleCacher" can do once it's determined that I have been authenticated. For example, the Groundspeak site knows that NYPaddleCacher is a premium member, thus it includes links to premium member features when I access the site.

If only Groundspeak and Facebook had a trusted login relationships it wouldn't be all that useful. However, if one uses any *other* sites which allow Facebook Logins, when you go to that site, you might click on a "Facebook Login" button, the site will contact Facebook, determine that you have already logged in (typically your credentials will only remain valid for a specific amount of time), and connect you to the site without asking for your username/password again.

Yes, you can configure your computers or iPad to remember the password for the geocaching sites (as well as pretty much any other site which requires a username/password). What that means is that if you try to connect to Facebook, it will retrieve the username/password from a "cookie", populate a form element with those values, then send them over the wire to log you in. When you connect to the geocaching site it will do the same thing. The difference between this method and using a single sign on mechanism is that you only send your username/password across the wire to the SSO system once (until your credentials expire). Once you're authenticated the SSO system does *not* send your username/password to the system you're trying to get to. Instead, it negotiates with the system you're trying to get to by sending a token which indicates that a specific userid has been authenticated. It's typically a lot more secure because you don't have to maintain a username/password on every system which requires a login and they're not being sent across the internet every time you need to login.

I was being facetious - I do not like facebook for a lot of reasons. I really, really, really dislike the game spam, and the fact that I periodically have to do stuff to kill it. I would like, JUST ONCE, to show the people who primarily inflict this on me just how annoying it is - that's all I was getting at. (People on my friends list play an enormous number of FB games.)

Yes, I hide game alerts. They come back from time to time as people play new games. I recently got notifications of several game posts from two friends at the same time. There didn't seem to be a way to block those, or rather I couldn't tell if I was blocking *all* posts from those two friends, or just the game related posts.

I find the controls difficult to navigate, confusing, and then about the time I learn them, they change them. If I loved facebook and were really motivated to learn this stuff, I'd likely just re-memorize this all. (I'm good at things like that.) However, I barely tolerate it as it is now, and only really check it when people bug me "hey, did you see my FB post!?!" It is difficult to be motivated to learn stuff when you dislike nearly every second you are involved with it.

I dislike the political chatter. I dislike the endless, endless streams of unfunny and repetitious internet memes. I dislike the clippings from about 99.999999% of the websites my friends post. (Most of my FB friends are actually family members so I'm stuck with them.) I hate the messaging system(s). Nothing like having to apologize to someone in real life for not seeing the FB message they sent you.

I do like the actual tidbits about someone's life, a photo they've taken themselves and not copied from some website, or even where they are right now. Were it not for that stuff, I'd delete my account there. Unfortunately, the stuff I like is only about 10% of the stuff I see.

I deeply, deeply resent the fact that it is difficult to totally ignore facebook without real-life social consequences. I've tried to like facebook - I've tried really hard. I don't like it.

I deeply, deeply resent the fact that it is difficult to totally ignore facebook without real-life social consequences. I've tried to like facebook - I've tried really hard. I don't like it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, I have totally ignored facebook for a long time. I have never noticed any real-life social consequences because of it.

Of course it may be because I don't have a real-life. :P

I'm not sure what you mean by this, I have totally ignored facebook for a long time. I have never noticed any real-life social consequences because of it.

Of course it may be because I don't have a real-life. :P

As i posted in another thread,, Most of the cachers around our area use facebook to talk about geocaching. What's bad is that we have a dedicated geocaching website. Unfortunately, it doesn't get used much therefore i miss out on some things geocaching because i don't use facebook. Guess this could qualify as a real-life social consequence. :o

Edited by Mudfrog