updating pocket queries as needed for updated info(explorist GC)

Mushroom420

Hi, im sure this has been covered, but im new to forums.

I got a 1 month premium membership with my explorist GC. I made like 6 pocket queries to cover my general locale. im thinking of purchasing another year premium membership....

Now, how is the best way to download updated info (new caches, tb updates @ caches, logs, etc)

Do i hook up to pc and delete the gpx files then redo as i did to originally to them on there, or do i DL and throw the new files into the cache folder on gps and let it sort it all out?

I dont wanna lose my found/dnf stats on my device.

I hope this all makes sense.

Also, how does one get the scoop on new caches in my area? Is there a notification system, or no?

Also, off topic, my TB has been in the hands of a member for 5 weeks w.o. moving. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance, I love this hobby :-)

I got a 1 month premium membership with my explorist GC. I made like 6 pocket queries to cover my general locale. im thinking of purchasing another year premium membership....

Now, how is the best way to download updated info (new caches, tb updates @ caches, logs, etc)

Do i hook up to pc and delete the gpx files then redo as i did to originally to them on there, or do i DL and throw the new files into the cache folder on gps and let it sort it all out?

The best way would be the first option: delete and replace with fresh versions. Having the same cache in multiple files on your GPS can often lead to unexpected behaviour.

I dont wanna lose my found/dnf stats on my device.

I believe the Explorist GC keeps it's found stats in a separate text file. In case you weren't aware, you can upload this file to the website to more easily log your finds. As long as you don't delete this file, it should remember your stats. I don't use this GPS, though, so I may be wrong.

Also, how does one get the scoop on new caches in my area? Is there a notification system, or no?

Notifications. Set up one for the "Publish" logs to get notified of new caches.

Also, off topic, my TB has been in the hands of a member for 5 weeks w.o. moving. Is this normal?

Yes it is. With the massive proliferation of micros and nanos these days, it can take a while to find a cache large enough to accomodate a TB. I usually try to get them back out of my hands within a week or two, but sometimes it just takes longer. I'd wait a bit longer before bugging them.

Great!

Thanks for the quick reply, Mr T :-)

Ill do just that and hope for the best. My finds are still low enough to go thru and manually "refind" them on my device if I need to.

That link to the field notes you posted, i need to read into it more tomorrow, but hopefully thats designed to 'tell me' what caches i need to log online. Currently i just have to remember their names and hope i get em all while online logging the days finds. It gets tough when youh find more than a few on a given day having to remember which ones you found.

Im really digging this, a lot!

Really hoping i learn to utilize the correct tools to get the most out of all of it.

Thanks again. Any more tips to help me based off of my little issues would be welcomed.

And sorry to double post, but when I do my PQs there has to be SEVERAL dozen/hundred(?) "overlapping" caches, due to the radius' needing to overlap to cover all the ground in a given area. Is this ok/safe/wise/normal?

I wish I could just do the 100 miles radies but have ALL the caches, instead of the limited 1000 or whatever the # is.

Currently I just look at the PQ results map, choose a city that looks like the 1000 cache/100 mile radius would cover the missing cache patches. (Confusing? Lol, sorry..i dont have the vocab to correctly articulate what im referring to)

And sorry to double post, but when I do my PQs there has to be SEVERAL dozen/hundred(?) "overlapping" caches, due to the radius' needing to overlap to cover all the ground in a given area. Is this ok/safe/wise/normal?

See this site for a good description of pocket queries. If you go to the "Tips and Tricks" section, Markwell describes a way to cover a large area without any overlap.

What I was referring to earlier about duplicating caches is meant more for the cases where you have 2 different versions of the same cache. If both are the same (such as if you've just run all new PQs), it doesn't matter which one the GPS gives you. If they differ, who knows which one it will give you. The way you're doing it now should be fine, but Markwell's method is the best way to eliminate overlap.

Gotcha! Ill read thru this tomorrow and give er a go.

As of now, I plan on deleting all my gpx and waypoint files on my gps, and running the 2-5 PQs needed at the same time and uploading to my device before we head out.

So, since my finds are up to date, if I use that field note link you provided, would it try to relog my current finds? Im thinking id need to delete my current text file, go caching, have my gps create a new text file, and use the new data created to log...and then repeat every time.

Glad I made this post, very helpful!

So, since my finds are up to date, if I use that field note link you provided, would it try to relog my current finds? Im thinking id need to delete my current text file, go caching, have my gps create a new text file, and use the new data created to log...and then repeat every time.

That would be the best way to do it. After you've uploaded it once, you don't necessarily need to delete it. When you upload your field notes, the site remembers the last time you found a cache, and will only use field notes created after that date. My Garmin has a similar file, and I haven't deleted it in a long time. I may delete it soon, only because it's probably starting to get fairly large!

Went ahead and did everything you suggested. Worked GREAT!

Deleted to old gpx files, replaced with new PQs, uploaded the text file, deleted it off the gps.

Everything seems to be spot on. Thanks brotha, A LOT!

My only concern is (still) the radius option on the PQ perhaps missing a chunk of land or something. But I think I can manage :-)

I need to get a little better system of which coords to PQ before I head out, but that, again, I can manage.

Youve been a great help

edit, and I also signed up for new cache notifications too :-)...maybe I can snag a F2F someday

Edited by Mushroom420

I have had my GC for just over a month now.

I hit the 1k file limit and sat there scratching my head trying to figure out how the heck i was going to fix that.

Created some PQ but they never seemed to load with all the info.

I wiped all the GCs off the explorist (hooked to a pc went int geocaches and deleted all the generic named, left the 999 caches and the 2 other files that get updated.

then i deleted all waypoints.

Go to magellan and download vantagepoint.

You can connect directly to geocaching.com and load your pocket queries into vantage point and then you can sync onto your explorist.

SWEET!!!

You can also sync stuff off the explorist, like tracks so you can see what you have been doing.

This is nice, i now set up a 20 mile radius query ignoring found caches, that falls just under 1000 caches (PQ limit)and have it run daily.

then i can sync the gps every night.

I just save 4 PQs that are near me and I run em before I head out...

I hook to PC, delete the old files, redownload and put em on my GC

I just really hope Im getting all the caches near me and that there arent some Im missing.

I love this little GC.

I had an etrex legend before that I got off of ebay and it SUCKED having to manually input ALL the coordinates.

Geocaching (how does this site try to spell check 'GEOCACHE, lol) has become soooo much funner with this unit