cops and cache

reds184

Ran into some cops while searching for a cache today - right after I interrupted two people I think were havin sex in their car. Has anyone been near the navy base in whitestone? I was unable to find the cache. Anyways the cops pulled up and just stared at me. I paid them no mind and kept searching. They finally asked "what are you doing" I just told them "looking for treasure" with a smile on my face. they asked what I meant and said "you know, like a treasure chest with gold in it". the cop laughed and then I gave him the real explanation, he said "ok, finish up and get out of here". not a bad experience.

I found out about geocaching a few years ago and never had participated - even after registering - until a few days ago. I've been pretty successful finding most of them. I'm not sure what the procedure is when I can't find one even after looking really hard. At what point do you guys usually decide that the cache is gone?

Hehehe... I've only been caching for two months myself, and three times I've had "cop experiences" -- one was less than friendly... the other two knew what geocaching was and just said "oh okay" and went on their way! As for deciding a cache is gone? NEVER! When you don't find it, you log it as a DNF (did not find). If that happens several times in succession, the cache owner will go check on their cache and post whether it was missing or still there. MOST of the time it's there. It's just WELL hidden! You'll learn MUCH more the longer you cache... and I'm still learning too -- EVERY DAY! Welcome to the sport/game! ENJOY it! :)