Where oh where has the Hippo List gone?

The link that Joegeodetist so kindly gave us, doesn't work and I cannot seem to be able to bring it up by searching on the NGS site. The Hippo List was a great way to see all the different types of settings or stations. It would be a great shame to have this information gone or non-accessible.

Can anyone give us a currant link or is it really gone this time?

Thank you,

Shirley~

The link that Joegeodetist so kindly gave us, doesn't work and I cannot seem to be able to bring it up by searching on the NGS site. The Hippo List was a great way to see all the different types of settings or stations. It would be a great shame to have this information gone or non-accessible.

Thank you,

Shirley~

She didn't ask me where it is, but I will provide the correct link anyways!

Hippo List PDF

Starts on page I - 2 of the document.

John

Thank you,

Shirley~

She didn't ask me where it is, but I will provide the correct link anyways!

Hippo List PDF

Starts on page I - 2 of the document.

John

Well, will wonders never cease? Thank you Mr. Oldfart.

But wait!!! Where is the Hippo? That is very UN-Hippo like. Is the Federal Government against Hippos? Was it not politically correct?

Darn! I really miss the cute Hippo!! :(

Shirley~

After looking at that list I've come up with a GSAK Macro that copies the setting info (where present) into a custom field called Setting. (Have to manually make the field yourself as is though.) It will pad the single digit settings so they get sorted properly. (I set my Setting field up as a string field so that it can have an empty default value, so entries without a properly listed setting entry will show up with a blank setting. Like CORS installations or intersection stations.)

If anyone is interested in it, I can post it here.

After looking at that list I've come up with a GSAK Macro that copies the setting info (where present) into a custom field called Setting. (Have to manually make the field yourself as is though.) It will pad the single digit settings so they get sorted properly. (I set my Setting field up as a string field so that it can have an empty default value, so entries without a properly listed setting entry will show up with a blank setting. Like CORS installations or intersection stations.)

I would be. I need to start using my GSAK for my benchmarks. Logging the 200+ that I've found at this point that I didn't log in GSAK before now is going to be a pain.

EdrickV, is the macro anything similar to Klemmer & TeddyBearMama's or Bullygoat29's macros?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=214523&st=0&p=3834263entry3834263

EdrickV, is the macro anything similar to Klemmer & TeddyBearMama's or Bullygoat29's macros?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=214523&st=0&p=3834263entry3834263

I guess the basic concept is similar, but the actual method of operation is different. (I hadn't seen that thread before.) The data put into the Settings custom field would be just the setting number.

#*******************************************
# MacVersion = 1.5
# MacDescription = Setting Finder
# MacAuthor = EdrickV
# MacFileName = Setting Finder.gsk
# MacUrl =

$recno = 0
Transaction Action=Begin
While not($_Eol)
$recno = $recno + 1
IF frac($Recno/10) = 0
  ShowStatus msg="Processing record $recno of $_count"
endIf 
$base = $d_LongDescription
$part1 = Extract($base,"SETTING: ",2)
$part2 = Extract($part1," = ",1)
if Len($part2) = 1
$part2 = "0" + $part2
endif
$result = CustomPut("Setting",$part2)
GoTo Position=Next
EndWhile
Transaction Action=End
Goto Position=Top

If I had seen the RegExData() function I might have used it instead, but I saw Extract() first. (Note that my macro could easily be adjusted to do Marker or Stability just by changing text in the first Extract function call, changing it for Stamping or something else would be a little more involved.)

Hmm, I downloaded and looked at the Hippo List, but it doesn't really mean anything to me. What is it exactly?

It lists some of the codes used in NGS datasheets (in particular the Marker and Setting codes) which one could use to search datasheets for specific types of benchmarks. For example, if you're tired of discs and want to find a bolt or nail then you could look up the code and search for them. If you want to find a marker set into a boulder then you could look up that code and search for it.

And in this vein, I've played around with my macro and created 3 new ones. A Marker code finder that works much like the Setting finder, and two versions that, instead of returning the code, will actually return the text associated with the code. (So instead of returning a setting of 80 it would return "SET IN A BOULDER" instead.) These three all should be used with NGS-GPX created files that have the option of converting newlines to <br> codes enabled. The Marker finders also require a user created Marker field while the Setting Finder uses the same Setting field as the previous version. (I like the text versions so I don't have to memorize the codes, but the code versions would be simpler for quick mfilter sorting and use less screen space.)

Marker Finder 1.5 (returns marker code)

# MacVersion = 1.5
# MacDescription = Marker Type Finder
# MacAuthor = EdrickV
# MacFileName = Marker Type Finder.gsk
# MacUrl =

$recno = 0
Transaction Action=Begin
While not($_Eol)
$recno = $recno + 1
IF frac($Recno/10) = 0
endIf 
$part1 = Extract($base,"MARKER: ",2)
$part2 = Extract($part1," = ",1)
if Len($part2) > 2
$part3 = Extract($part2,"<br>",1) #Requires NGS-GPX option: Convert all newlines to <br>
endif
$result = CustomPut("Marker",$part3)
GoTo Position=Next
EndWhile
Transaction Action=End
Goto Position=Top

Setting Finder 2.0 (returns text associated with code)

# MacVersion = 2.0
# MacDescription = Setting Finder V2
# MacAuthor = EdrickV
# MacFileName = Setting Finder V2.gsk
# MacUrl =

$recno = 0
Transaction Action=Begin
While not($_Eol)
$recno = $recno + 1
IF frac($Recno/10) = 0
endIf 
$part1 = Extract($base,"SETTING: ",2)
$part2 = Extract($part1," = ",2)
#if Len($part2) = 1
#	$part2 = "0" + $part2
#endif
$part3 = Extract($part2,"<br>",1) #Requires NGS-GPX option: Convert all newlines to <br>
$result = CustomPut("Setting",$part3)
GoTo Position=Next
EndWhile
Transaction Action=End
Goto Position=Top

Marker Finder 2.0 (returns text associated with code)

# MacVersion = 2.0
# MacDescription = Marker Type Finder V2
# MacAuthor = EdrickV
# MacFileName = Marker Type Finder V2.gsk
# MacUrl =

#Alternate output version
#Requires NGS-GPX option: Convert all newlines to <br>

$recno = 0
Transaction Action=Begin
While not($_Eol)
$recno = $recno + 1
IF frac($Recno/10) = 0
endIf 
$part1 = Extract($base,"MARKER: ",2)
$part2 = Extract($part1," = ",2)
$result = CustomPut("Marker",$part3)
GoTo Position=Next
EndWhile
Transaction Action=End
Goto Position=Top

Edited by EdrickV