Chain link fence caches

There are several local chain link fence caches that are driving me bonkers. They are NOT in the cap on the fence posts, nor in any kind of "sticker" magnet. Can't find any fake bolts or magnetic nano cylinders. Is there a secret to chain link fence caches that I don't know? Some of the log entries say things like "easy find," which does nothing for my self-esteem.

I've found some chain link caches where the cache was in the post. Either a magnet on a string or a hook to pull the cache up. There are some that you need water to float the cache up to the top to retrieve the container. Don't worry about your self-esteem, I DNF easy caches every once in awhile. Make sure you log your DNF and then ask the CO for another hint. You never know the cache could be missing. Good Luck.

The hardest chain-link fence caches for me to find are the ones hanging on the fence between two posts, with a bush in front of the fence. I search near the posts. I search the base of the bush and all the branches of the bush. But I usually neglect to search the fence itself.

But the4dirtydogs had good suggestions too.

Here is one of my chain link caches . Read some of the logs and you wont have a self-esteem problem. This hide gave most people a hard time. The cache was hidden in a U channel fence post. Open on one side. I tied a fishing line on a 1/4" metal cable that ran on the top link of the fence to hold it up between poles. The cable sat about 2" from the top of the post so you couldn't see the line. I then tied a bison tube to the other end and when I lowered the bison tube down the channel, the cache sat below the dirt so you couldn't see anything. Everything was concealed within the U channel and you pretty much had to feel for the line. I used like 4lb test line so it was real hard to feel. Oh the evil things I used to do to cachers. :laughing:

For some reason the link wont work for me but Pup Patrol has the link working down below. Thanks Pup Patrol.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

cache could be a bison or something at the base of the post. I have seen caches partly buried in the grass under the fence not even associated with a post. It can be hanging anywhere on a post, especially if magnetic. Lots of places, depends on what the fence has. Have seen some inside the top metal support beams, you just have to unscrew them a bit. Lots of places.

cache could be a bison or something at the base of the post. I have seen caches partly buried in the grass under the fence not even associated with a post. It can be hanging anywhere on a post, especially if magnetic. Lots of places, depends on what the fence has. Have seen some inside the top metal support beams, you just have to unscrew them a bit. Lots of places.

It could also be some other camo'd object (without getting into specifics) hidden at the base of the fence.

we had a number of caches attached to a fence by fishing line and then thrown over the top. Those were hard to find until you started looking for them, even then can take a while. Some were above micro size too. This obviously works if the other side of the fence has dense tree and leaf cover and you do not have access to the other side.

You have to go to my profile to see the cache page because the cache is archived if you want to read the logs. It's called DD#4 Channel Guppie

A link is faster:

GC23ZR7 D.D. #4: Channel Guppie

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5d945115-dfe8-423a-8f61-47777693fc3b

B.

When I first linked the page it didn't work. Thanks.

It could be a common object in plain sight. Something you would overlook.

There are several local chain link fence caches that are driving me bonkers. They are NOT in the cap on the fence posts, nor in any kind of "sticker" magnet. Can't find any fake bolts or magnetic nano cylinders. Is there a secret to chain link fence caches that I don't know? Some of the log entries say things like "easy find," which does nothing for my self-esteem.

You could hit the ignore button but that really wouldn't help with the self esteem issue. :unsure:

Here is one of my chain link caches . Read some of the logs and you wont have a self-esteem problem. This hide gave most people a hard time. The cache was hidden in a U channel fence post. Open on one side. I tied a fishing line on a 1/4" metal cable that ran on the top link of the fence to hold it up between poles. The cable sat about 2" from the top of the post so you couldn't see the line. I then tied a bison tube to the other end and when I lowered the bison tube down the channel, the cache sat below the dirt so you couldn't see anything. Everything was concealed within the U channel and you pretty much had to feel for the line. I used like 4lb test line so it was real hard to feel. Oh the evil things I used to do to cachers. :laughing:

Wow, I hadn't thought of fishing line. I did read about the "floater" caches but don't think that's the case here. Well, I'm not giving up yet, at any rate. I'm reasonably certain one of them MUST be on the fence because the description says its accessible from the other side too. The other is at a locked gate. I even spent some time examining the lock and chain.

Every time I get stuck on searching some object, it turns out not to be on that object at all.

I've spent eons on multiple trips, searching one fence and come to find out it's in the plants nearby.

Try taking some other cachers with you. More eyes are usually better. It always makes me search harder too for some reason. Maybe the self-esteem thing again.

I am having trouble with a micro hidden around a fenced in power system/generator for a housing development. I have looked in this area about 5 times. The GPS is bouncy and takes me around the side of the fence-but I'm not seeing anything. There are so many hiding places in this small area-the fence, guard rail, trees, bushes. There are also big pipes with lids (septic) AND a telephone pole with a ton of wires and things. I am not about to start pulling on wires or taking lids off pipes. Driving me bonkers when others have said P&G. I am wondering after over a month (last person who found), if it's missing. The CO won't give me a hint. I will say one of the fence post lids looked crooked-haven't checked that. Ahhh....found a bison in a piece of wood at the end of a fence in the corner the other day-so I do look around well. I swear I'll take photos to show this place and post.

Edited by DianneCC

I am having trouble with a micro hidden around a fenced in power system/generator for a housing development. I have looked in this area about 5 times. The GPS is bouncy and takes me around the side of the fence-but I'm not seeing anything. There are so many hiding places in this small area-the fence, guard rail, trees, bushes. There are also big pipes with lids (septic) AND a telephone pole with a ton of wires and things. I am not about to start pulling on wires or taking lids off pipes. Driving me bonkers when others have said P&G. I am wondering after over a month (last person who found), if it's missing. The CO won't give me a hint. I will say one of the fence post lids looked crooked-haven't checked that. Ahhh....found a bison in a piece of wood at the end of a fence in the corner the other day-so I do look around well. I swear I'll take photos to show this place and post.

Well, you are persistant!! I would probably throw in the towel on any micro by my 3rd trip and DNF. Why can you not have a hint? That's kind of strange. Sure, post some pics, but be advised what you describe doesn't exactly sound like a high quality caching experience, and you'll probably get some disparaging remarks. Not from me though, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. :lol:

If the fence post cap looks crooked, take a good look at the pole, especially the side where the cap is higher. If it is shiny, the cap has probably been recently removed and replaced crooked. If it is the same weathered color as the rest of the fence, it's probably been like that for a long time.

sometimes i like to gently shake the fence and listen for a jingle of the bison hitting the chain link. This sometimes works on posts too, if the container is inside hanging from a string. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a great feeling.

Amazing that I never would have thought of that! Great idea. I'll bet I've found less than 10 bisons on chain link fences, but I will definitely remember that. Hmm, I might even have to start shaking some pine trees. :)

I was stumped for a few minutes by a blinkey that was stuck to the inside of a rail bracket. You had to use the braille method, since it was sitting in the shadows. See link for a sense of the bracket I'm talking about. Loop Cap

You have an extra http in your link. Can you fix it please.

Actually, its missing the colon following the "http", but this is what he was talking about:

steel_loop_sml.jpg

If the fence post cap looks crooked, take a good look at the pole, especially the side where the cap is higher. If it is shiny, the cap has probably been recently removed and replaced crooked. If it is the same weathered color as the rest of the fence, it's probably been like that for a long time.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the cache is in the fence post. It could just mean that someone else thought the cache was in the post and had removed and replaced the cap. I'm surprised that the CO wouldn't give a hint too. It's a micro hidden around a fenced in power system/generator for a housing development. Is it really worth another visit?