New Feature Request

GT.US

I would like there to be a way for "Guests" who don't have, and don't want to have, a Waymarking.com logon to log a visit or send a message to the waymark owner.

Sometimes people have somthing to say about a waymark, and really don't want to create a logon just to pass on a message. If you aren't logged into Waymarking.com, you can't even click through to see the waymark owners profile.

I prefer that they need an account to log or send emails. I get enough spam without opening this up. At least now if someone starts spamming through their account which has happened a few times it can get shut down fairly easily.

Though I do wish more of the search options were available to people who do not have an account.

Edited by BruceS

I prefer that they need an account to log or send emails. I get enough spam without opening this up. At least now if someone starts spamming through their account which has happened a few times it can get shut down fairly easily.

Though I do wish more of the search options were available to people who do not have an account.

The best solution to that would be to add an opt-out to guest generated comment emails.

The value of getting input would outweigh the risks of removing one step to a spammer. Now days, most spam filters center on IP addresses, and not logons [which could be created over and over by a determined spammer].

My impression is that the original logon requirements may have been a result of counting visits. If one doesn't desire a smiley, the count issue is moot.

You can opt in anytime you want, just add your email address to the bottom of all of your waymarks. Then anyone can email you that wants to.

The only way a person would be aware that the email address they opted in to provide in their profile isn't visible to anyone but registered Groundspeak members is to log out an look at their own profile. How many of us do that? It seems that if you have already opted to show your email it would be logical that you would have the choice of your profile being visable to non-signed in users. Edited by GT.US

You can opt in anytime you want, just add your email address to the bottom of all of your waymarks. Then anyone can email you that wants to.

The only way a person would be aware that the email address they opted in to provide in their profile isn't visible to anyone but registered Groundspeak members is to log out an look at their own profile. How many of us do that? It seems that if you have already opted to show your email it would be logical that you would have the choice of your profile being visable to non-signed in users.

I did not say to put the email address in your profile... I said you could opt in by putting your email on the bottom of all your waymarks. Thus they would all be aware of your email address and not have to access your profile at all.

I have received numerous emails from non-waymarkers (usually a couple a month). If a person really wants to contact you they will have no problem signing up for an account.

I guess the bottom line is there value in the information or opinions of people who don't have a Groundspeak logon?

My original feature request was that a guest without a Groundspeak login could leave a visit comment or note

The value provided would be:

• Feedback to waymark creaters that people value their work
  • Increased quality of waymarks
  • Increased interest in Waymarking

Potential Drawbacks would be:

• Increased spam
  • Increased volume of emails to the waymark creater

Have I summarized this issue and comments correctly? Anybody else have an opinion on the subject?

and the question is: Which is most likely?

You never can tell with the internet! So I would prefer the blue balloon and keep everything as it is right now. :)

When somebody has to create an account first, there is also more time to think about the content and if it's really worth it.

Here is just another thought.

would it be viable for groundspeek to create just the ability to log into waymark and create a waymark only account that way people could do only Waymarking if that so suited them and not have to worry about geocaching this is an option that would appeal to the photographers and not affect the Tupperware hunters amongst us and they the could visit and comment on waymarks.

Here is just another thought.

would it be viable for groundspeek to create just the ability to log into waymark and create a waymark only account that way people could do only Waymarking if that so suited them and not have to worry about geocaching this is an option that would appeal to the photographers and not affect the Tupperware hunters amongst us and they the could visit and comment on waymarks.

If I understand your question correctly, you are suggesting that waymarkers that don't geocache should be able to have an ID on Waymarking that won't work to log them in on geocaching?

If this is so, I see the shared geocaching / Waymarking logon as a courtesy, and one less password and userid to remember.

and the question is: Which is most likely?

You never can tell with the internet! So I would prefer the blue balloon and keep everything as it is right now. :)

When somebody has to create an account first, there is also more time to think about the content and if it's really worth it.

I do see people creating an account so that they can report a waymark is no longer there, or otherwise give feedback, even though they have no intent in ever posting a waymark or actually playing the game (caring about a grid or count). I had one create an account to tell me they liked my waymark, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

With Facebook showing everything my friends read or like, I have found myself creating an account to leave a comment on a site I will never go back to again. In those cases, if I do go back, I end up creating a new account every time, because I can never remember what the userid or password was that I used.

I recently saw a milestone waymark referenced in a genealogy forum on facebook where they were asking what it was to the forum, as it was easier that trying to contact the waymark poster.

Putting myself in the shoes of someone who stumbled across a waymark through a google search or a forum post, I would find value in being able to log a note as a guest.

I view it this way. The person that posted a note on facebook created an account there and they also joined the facebook group where they posted their note. You can't post a comment on photo at flikr without an account, you can't post a comment on wikipedia without an account there. You can't post a note on the catfishing forum (yes there is at least one of those) without creating an account. That is the way it is with the internet... if you want to comment you create an account.

I view it this way. The person that posted a note on facebook created an account there and they also joined the facebook group where they posted their note. You can't post a comment on photo at flikr without an account, you can't post a comment on wikipedia without an account there. You can't post a note on the catfishing forum (yes there is at least one of those) without creating an account. That is the way it is with the internet... if you want to comment you create an account.

I can post on CNN as a guest. I can post of NPR as a guest.