Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Treatment

BCandMsKitty

I didn't think it was available in Canada. When I looked a couple of years ago it apparently hadn't got approval from health Canada (or whoever looks after these things) except for the military.

I'll check out the store when I am downtown Vancouver tomorrow as I have been wanting to get some for when we explore BC's Interior.

A bit of Googleing (?) revealed a few things to look at... try Permethrin for one key and from within those sources came one that points out that there is the trade name Permanone which seems to be (or was) available. I see it on REI etc.

Canoe Forums seem to say that can be had in Canada as far back as 2004, but I didn't find anything on current sources.

Interesting that the chemical was a synthetic version of something from Chrysanthemums... maybe wearing flowers while caching and other outdoor activities will do it naturally!

Good luck

Doug 7rxc

A bit of Googleing (?) revealed a few things to look at... try Permethrin for one key and from within those sources came one that points out that there is the trade name Permanone which seems to be (or was) available. I see it on REI etc.

Canoe Forums seem to say that can be had in Canada as far back as 2004, but I didn't find anything on current sources.

Interesting that the chemical was a synthetic version of something from Chrysanthemums... maybe wearing flowers while caching and other outdoor activities will do it naturally!

Good luck

Doug 7rxc

Yeah .. I saw all that too. I guess I'll have to order it from the store In Vancouver..

Thanks

Loris

Yeah .. I saw all that too. I guess I'll have to order it from the store In Vancouver..

Thanks

Loris

One good thing is the number of different websites including one at least from the feds that recommend the use of the stuff when travelling... sort of implies that it would be Okay in Canada. Some importers and store chains probably shy away from anything that is controversial as store goods. California is a fussy state that way, so since they don't seem to have any problems with it I don't know why anyone else would, although Europe seems to have restrictions. There is also a big difference between the crop insecticide and the repellent version. Repel product line seems to be the most often mentioned, I did note that the label does say mosquito repellent, but is still the 0.5% permethrin advertised on the ingredients.

Myself the only bugs that seem to annoy me are blackflies and earwigs. Loathing spiders at close range is another thing, mostly me!

Doug 7rxc

I've wanted to grab some Sawyer's spray in the US since it doesn't seem to be available here, but I don't want to have it confiscated at customs for being a restricted item. That being said, there's a cacher in my area that uses this stuff. It's actually designed for use on horses, but works just as well on clothes apparently, and as a bonus, he was able to buy it in Canada. I'm told that it comes in regular 0.1% permethrin and an "Ultra Strength" 0.5% formulation, and it can be found at Tack Shops and other places where farm animal care products are sold.

I've wanted to grab some Sawyer's spray in the US since it doesn't seem to be available here, but I don't want to have it confiscated at customs for being a restricted item. That being said, there's a cacher in my area that uses this stuff. It's actually designed for use on horses, but works just as well on clothes apparently, and as a bonus, he was able to buy it in Canada. I'm told that it comes in regular 0.1% permethrin and an "Ultra Strength" 0.5% formulation, and it can be found at Tack Shops and other places where farm animal care products are sold.

Sounds interesting, but I keep coming back to the thought that Permethrin has been used on US military uniforms for 20 years, and is approved by the EPA in the States for such use. Also, it will bond with the clothing for a while. There are a couple of other chemicals in the stuff for horses and it's anyone's guess if it will leach into one's skin.

Thanks for the info

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Too late now but I'm pretty sure you can get some at Mountain Equipment Coop. It is the kind that you dilute with water so you have to soak your clothes in it, then allow them to air dry.

Thanks for the info ... I'd rather have had that .. I'll have to look into it for the future.

Too late now but I'm pretty sure you can get some at Mountain Equipment Coop. It is the kind that you dilute with water so you have to soak your clothes in it, then allow them to air dry.

Thanks for the info ... I'd rather have had that .. I'll have to look into it for the future.

Nope .. I went online .. couldn't find anything, so I called, and they definitely don't sell it.

Just FYI.

I got the first bottle from Vancouver, but it was way too expensive from them.

Now we get ours from the US. I haven't tried to find a Canadian source since.

Whenever friends or family go over, (which is quite often) they pick us up a bottle. I think they get it at REI and it's only around 16.00

Permethrin

It works GREAT! I've seen ticks get onto our clothing and they immediately fall off, apparently dieing.

And it even keeps mosquitoes away.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Great, thanks for the info.

Have to see if I can find some in Ogdensburg when we head down there.

Good to know about the mosquitoes as well...my wife is a mosquito magnet....this might be just what she needs.

Pay close attention to the instructions. It's quite toxic in liquid. and/or mist and can kill cats or dogs if they're around when treating the clothing. I do mine outside on a calm day. We have a set of clothing that we treat and then keep just for caching.