Is this a 'replacement' ?

Bill93

The data sheet for LD0470 (NGS) LD0470 (GC) calls for a disk, but what is found is a nail or pin with stamping in apparently the right spot. I would guess that somebody found a hole where a disk had been removed and put in a new marker within a few hundredths of a foot of the right elevation. What would you report, POOR?

623658d8-ae89-4e18-9fc2-5f5a0fc1ce88.jpg

Or would you assume the description is wrong, and it was originally a bolt like one a few miles away at LD0468, although the carved letters are U*S vs US*BM ?

Edited by Bill93

Bill93,

My vote would be for a Data Sheet clerical error(s).

GSAK filters out 15 "BOLT"'s placed by DOD. Didn't pull up all the DS's but suspect that most have an 'UNK' date and were actually part of, or incorporated into, the late 1890's Mississippi River Commission Survey.

I see no evidence of a disk impression and the stamping & leading technique fits the above time period.

Does anyone know of an on-line link for a full MRC list? kayakbird

A bit later:

Pinned all the DOD, MRC & MORC with DSWORLD and came up with this GEO LOGGED W/PHOTO (thanks Kurt)

MRC (not morc) 1898 (not 1931) HUBBARD

b094a9e9-fa9c-410c-9213-e586bb510d0c.jpg

Edited by kayakbird

I might agree on datasheet error. BM 7 was set in a nearby hotel, and was bolt with USPBM chiseled near it. This may have been set because the hotel was torn down or it was more convenient to a survey being done. It also doesn't look like there is room for a disk between the U and S, nor does there appear to be evidence of the disk in the stone.

Bill93,

My vote would be for a Data Sheet clerical error(s).

GSAK filters out 15 "BOLT"'s placed by DOD. Didn't pull up all the DS's but suspect that most have an 'UNK' date and were actually part of, or incorporated into, the late 1890's Mississippi River Commission Survey.

I see no evidence of a disk impression and the stamping & leading technique fits the above time period.

Does anyone know of an on-line link for a full MRC list? kayakbird

A bit later:

Pinned all the DOD, MRC & MORC with DSWORLD and came up with this GEO LOGGED W/PHOTO (thanks Kurt)

MRC (not morc) 1898 (not 1931) HUBBARD

b094a9e9-fa9c-410c-9213-e586bb510d0c.jpg

You are welcome Mike, for the photo! I wish I could have found more MRC monuments. How are things, I have been very busy and have not made it into the forums lately.

Kurt

Thanks mloser & AZcachemeister,

Don't think that any in that tabulation have current PID status. A quick scroll up the river found two with matching names, LYONS, USE 162/3 P. 101, and ELK RIVER, USE 162/3, but the descriptions don't work.

The above pictured HUBBARDis about the correct distance below Dubuque for USE 177/3, but the elevation is two hundred feet too high.

I think that the pipes w/caps were moved in 1931. Would be nice to get verification that the underground stone w/bolt was moved also. MEL