Palmable Geocache Data NOW

teamwsmf

There are so many solutions to the problem the question is not "whats the offical word" but is more "what suits my needs best"

If an offical PDA soltion becomes available I will look at it then. But for now I am able to get all the data I want and need right onto my Palm.

The only thing that would make this solution not works is if DELIBERATE actions were taken to stop it.

In that case I or someone wlse would code ANOTHER solution around whatever blockaes where in place.

I think what we Really need is a list or a page somewhere that lists all the cool solutions, who maintains them, and what platforms (palm,ce,etc) they work for.

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

quote:
Originally posted by TeamWSMF:

The only thing that would make this solution not works is if DELIBERATE actions were taken to stop it.

There's another problem with publicly available solutions to this problem, if you take that "To use the services of geocaching.com, you must agree to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer" bit on every cache page seriously. Among other things, it says

quote:
This website is for personal and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, excerpt, distribute, transmit, publish, license, create derivative works from, or sell any information, or services obtained from this website.

I read that as saying that my personal scripts that extract information are okay, because they're for personal use, but if I start letting other people use them I might be crossing the line. (Actually, it doesn't even say it's okay for my personal use, but I think that at least falls within the spirit of the law.)

That said, I have a wonderful set of scripts that downloads cache pages and builds a database of images (aerial photos from Terraserver) and waypoints for GPSPilot Tracker, plus a CSV file of cache descriptions that I can import into Palm Desktop. Unfortunately, it's not available to the public (mostly because the web server it lives on is a slow computer on the wrong end of a smallish ADSL connection, but also because I agreed to the above terms.)

I could probably make the scripts themselves available for personal use, though, if there are enough people who'd find them useful. I don't think that's a violation of the above terms, and it mostly solves my problem of bandwidth.

Before y'all go asking, though, note that they're designed for use on a webserver running Linux, Perl, and Apache, and they require a few extra Perl modules (XML::Parser, Archive::Zip, HTML::FormatText, HTML::TreeBuilder, Palm::PDB, and Palm::Raw) and a couple of extra applications as well (the netpbm utilities.) If your environment does not meet these requirements, the scripts will not do you any good except as templates for writing your own.

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on April 05, 2002 at 08:35 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

Some of us don't even know what scripts are ... but we still own Palm Pilots and would like to use them in a convenient way.

I can understand that position, believe it or not, but unfortunately that's the way the disclaimer is written: anyone republishing the data is in violation of the agreement (and probably in violation of Jeremy's collection copyright: while individual cachers own the copyrights on their cache descriptions, Jeremy can legally claim copyright on the collection as a whole.)

As far as I can tell, the only way around the disclaimer is to make the code available, but not put it online for just anyone to use. If I were more motivated, I might rewrite it so you could just run a Windows executable and have it update your Palm directly, but I'm not that motivated since what I have works for me and my caching partner.

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

Some of us don't even know what scripts are ... but we still own Palm Pilots and would like to use them in a convenient way.

Write to Jeremy... the more people that ask about it, the quicker it might pop into the "need to do" queue.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

As was said in another thread by other PAYING users, including myself, I certainly hope that the Groundspeak crew doesn't continue with this obstructionist attitude towards the Palmable caching site. It is a great idea, and VERY helpful. Sure we can use avant go and directly DL stuff from the site, but it doesn't look so hot on the Palm, the Palmable site sets stuff up so it looks GREAT on the palm, and is VERY easy to use.

I don't understand why the folks at Groundspeak don't team up with the Palmable Caching site, and make this utility available RIGHT HERE on this site. It would be helpful.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

[This message was edited by RAD Dad on April 09, 2002 at 08:58 AM.]