Geo-Income?

Ok I just googled that - I figured it was just a joke address.

Learn somethin new every day!

They're OK. They just have a couple controversial practices that somehow (I don't even remember how) came to light here in the forums. Then a bunch of them came here and told us off. It was pretty funny. It was only about 6 months ago.

Ok I just googled that - I figured it was just a joke address.

Learn somethin new every day!

They're OK. They just have a couple controversial practices that somehow (I don't even remember how) came to light here in the forums. Then a bunch of them came here and told us off. It was pretty funny. It was only about 6 months ago.

Logging event if you view their event cam, even you live tousand miles away!! :ph34r:

And telling a well like forum member that he doesnt know what he was talking about.

Edited by SwineFlew
And telling a well like forum member that he doesnt know what he was talking about.

There are many well liked forum members that are less than knowledgeable on some topics. If I could ever earn the 'well liked' bit, I would qualify as well, as there are an endless and ever growing list of things for which I remain woefully ignorant. The motto? If you ever tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, you would probably be right,

Swell. You guys do realize that if they come back, they're going to blame me for this. Let the record show I said "they're OK". And that the Craig's List ad is funny. :laughing:

You might wanna remove one of your sig line!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Little known fact. Groundspeak got a complaint about that 4th line, and I had to edit it. It contained an acronym that begins with Rear Echelon, and ends with two other words. But hey, I see the F.U. thread is still active, but that cache is OK. :ph34r:

Why would anyone pay money for that? It is really funny but that doesn't make sense. It is like paying someone to watch TV for you. What is the point of geocaching if you aren't geocaching? I wounder if anyone is actually paying them money to geocache for them....

You know what? Never Mind.. *palm face*

Who says you can't earn a living geocaching? :lol:

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/crs/2975077274.html :huh::blink::rolleyes:

I read the thread before I clicked the link. Eh the link was funny but I expected more considering who posted the ad.

Funny, but I'm reminded of all the hype about Shrek 2 being the greatest comedy of all time and me waiting for it to come out on DVD. I just about split my sides laughing at the menu screen with Donkey suggesting alternate sequel titles.... Then I watched the movie and the menu screen was the funniest part.

Little known fact. Groundspeak got a complaint about that 4th line, and I had to edit it. It contained an acronym that begins with Rear Echelon, and ends with two other words. But hey, I see the F.U. thread is still active, but that cache is OK. :ph34r:

That's an acronym I haven't heard since Desert Storm. A bunch of Airborne Rangers came to my gate (I was an MP) and started giving me crap about being a REMF, leg, pog and about 10 other names. I told him that I have the keys to the kingdom and control who gets through or not. They started running their mouths and rather than just wave them through, I gave them and their vehicle an hour long inspection to ensure there weren't any bombs or contraband. Boy, was their CSM pissed. I had to constantly remind him not to confuse his rank with my authority.

That's an acronym I haven't heard since Desert Storm. A bunch of Airborne Rangers came to my gate (I was an MP) and started giving me crap about being a REMF, leg, pog and about 10 other names. I told him that I have the keys to the kingdom and control who gets through or not. They started running their mouths and rather than just wave them through, I gave them and their vehicle an hour long inspection to ensure there weren't any bombs or contraband. Boy, was their CSM pissed. I had to constantly remind him not to confuse his rank with my authority.

:laughing:

Good for you.

Don't type out the "R" acronym!! :) I'm quite sure it was coined in Vietnam. My brother (63 years old) knew it from there. He called me it, as a matter of fact, when I joined the Army almost 20 years after him.

I like the story. Why would you give an MP crap about being "that" and the other names? Knuckleheads. :D

Don't type out the "R" acronym!! :) I'm quite sure it was coined in Vietnam. My brother (63 years old) knew it from there. He called me it, as a matter of fact, when I joined the Army almost 20 years after him.

I like the story. Why would you give an MP crap about being "that" and the other names? Knuckleheads. :D

Infantrymen are kind of bone-headed sometimes. They think that you aren't squat unless you're lying in a dirt bed engaging the enemy in close-quarters combat. However, we all know that without the other soldiers "in the rear with the gear", the Army would cease to function. I used to be a tanker and my best friend is in the infantry and we used to fight like cats and dogs, but deep down, we both have a deep appreciation for what the other does for the Army. After I left Germany, I was an MP, then Signal Corps. Over the years, I quickly learned not to insult those who hold the keys to something that you want or need.

Infantrymen are kind of bone-headed sometimes. They think that you aren't squat unless you're lying in a dirt bed engaging the enemy in close-quarters combat. However, we all know that without the other soldiers "in the rear with the gear", the Army would cease to function. I used to be a tanker and my best friend is in the infantry and we used to fight like cats and dogs, but deep down, we both have a deep appreciation for what the other does for the Army. After I left Germany, I was an MP, then Signal Corps. Over the years, I quickly learned not to insult those who hold the keys to something that you want or need.

The one mission of the military is to kill as many of enemy and destroy as much of his stuff as you can as quickly as you can while preventing him from doing the same. If you're not the one putting the rounds down range, then you are the one passing him the ammo. It's that simple.

The point of the spear doesn't work if the spear is not being supported.

Who says you can't earn a living geocaching? :lol:

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/crs/2975077274.html :huh::blink::rolleyes:

I read the thread before I clicked the link. Eh the link was funny but I expected more considering who posted the ad.

Funny, but I'm reminded of all the hype about Shrek 2 being the greatest comedy of all time and me waiting for it to come out on DVD. I just about split my sides laughing at the menu screen with Donkey suggesting alternate sequel titles.... Then I watched the movie and the menu screen was the funniest part.

Save your money and skip Drek the T[h]ird.

I thought it was a joke, first I saw then read more of the thread and see these (very small number of people) are serious. The game means different things to different people. I'm sure there's even more bizarre things to come.

I am from nc and know some of the dirtbags and they are good people. A lot of military, with a military sense if humor but they good family people. The videos they post, the forums they like to visit and offer a darker humor, is just that, all in fun. They are very good for geocaching in that they are helpful and put out some very good quality caches and hold tons of really fun events. And they are very inclusive of any and every cacher - i.e. they do not form cliques and private clubs that shun new cachers.

The craigstlist post is obviously a joke and a really good one. You all need to remember, if it is from a dirtbag, it is probably all in good fun. Dont take everything so seriously.

And no, i am not a dgs member

Edited by nthacker66

The topic of this thread is "can you earn a living geocaching?" and the particular Craig's List posting. It's not a discussion about military personalities or military service. It's neither a fan club nor a whipping post for the DGS. Kindly stay on topic.

Like how the thread on the glbt cachers thread stayed on topic?

So what's worse, their idiocy or your handling of it.. I always struggle with questions like that. :ph34r:

Can't decide which is worse:

- offering this service

- purchasing this service

Neither. It proves that there's a market and an audience for everything.

I too think it's lame but I am wondering why any of you care?

Apparently this was a joke. I guess I didn't pick up on it because I've seen enough practices in the game now that made me wonder "huh? Are we playing the same game, even?" So while this seemed ridiculous, it didn't seem impossible that someone would think of this. Also, this type of thing happens in a number of online games.

BTW - offering a service doesn't prove there is a buyer for it...

Did anyone email them asking about the terms for their service? Perhaps the joke goes on further...

Also, this type of thing happens in a number of online games.

Yep. For those that think that there are some that take this game a little too seriously do a little search about World of Warcraft factories in China.

I've never played WoW but I understand that in order to progress in the game one can obtain virtual gold (by playing the game) that can be used to purchase virtual weapons and other items. So apparently there are now large factories (primarily in China) where young people (called Gold Farmers) are hired to sit in front of a computer for 10 or more hours a day playing the game to obtain gold to buy virtual weapons that can be sold to other players. Apparently most gold farmers love their jobs and when they *do* get a break they spend that time playing WoW with their own characters.

I also heard of a story where a player of a similar game "loaned" a virtual weapon (some kind of valuable sword) to a friend. Apparently the friendship deteriorated and the friend sold the sword to someone else for "real" money, which prompted to player that loaned the weapon to pay a visit to the "friend" and killed (with a real weapon) him.

Apparently buying/selling of virtual weapons in role playing games has become a multi million dollar business. In some other role playing game someone paid $35,000 in real money to buy a virtual island.

Yep. For those that think that there are some that take this game a little too seriously do a little search about World of Warcraft factories in China.

I've never played WoW but I understand that in order to progress in the game one can obtain virtual gold (by playing the game) that can be used to purchase virtual weapons and other items. So apparently there are now large factories (primarily in China) where young people (called Gold Farmers) are hired to sit in front of a computer for 10 or more hours a day playing the game to obtain gold to buy virtual weapons that can be sold to other players. Apparently most gold farmers love their jobs and when they *do* get a break they spend that time playing WoW with their own characters.

I have, and you just have no idea - you can't possibly imagine how seriously some people take this game.

WoW involves levelling a character from a weak and ineffectual level 1 to an awesome and powerful level 85. (Or wherever the level cap is.) People can reach this level cap after a reasonable amount of time, however, not everyone enjoys this process, especially if they've done it a few times. Most of the activity in the game is focused on people at the level cap, and they progress via improving their gear. It is not unheard of for the person who leads your guild (the group you play with) to tell you "we have too many people playing your type of character - level a priest - we need healing." Meaning that you get to start over again at level 1. (Why someone would feel they could tell you this, and why you would listen to it is another story, but it happens.) To help with this process, there are services that will, for a fee, perform this task for you, leaving you with a character already at the maximum level, quite similar to what is being described in the craigslist ad.

I believe the situation has improved in the game and going from 1 -> max level is not nearly as lengthy of a process as it used to be, but still, this type of thing certainly happens.

People buy gold to keep from having to earn it in the game. (This is absolutely FORBIDDEN, by the way.) It isn't difficult to earn gold in the game, however, the process can be tedious, and some activities in the game are actually pretty expensive. (They've tried to improve this too - for a while, though, many activities that were actually quite lucrative were soul-crushingly monotonous.)

Edited by Mr.Benchmark

Also, this type of thing happens in a number of online games.

Apparently buying/selling of virtual weapons in role playing games has become a multi million dollar business. In some other role playing game someone paid $35,000 in real money to buy a virtual island.

I heard of this. Didn't that fake island turn out to be a wildly successful investment?

Possibly. I had heard someone talking about successful business started that were basically virtual game piece brokers and that some people were making a lot of money doing it.

I think it's pretty obvious that the craigslist ad was nothing more than a joke but I suppose if enough people were really serious about the FTF game or totally into caching for the numbers there would be a market for a "Geocache Finding Service". It could be called something like "geoharmony.com".

Are you sure it's a joke?

Has anyone replied and asked what he charges??? Dare ya...

Here's the ad, since this thread will live on forever, but the ad won't.

Don't have the time to go Geocaching?

High gas prices got your Geocache find ratio down?

I am a professional Geocacher and I will do the Geocaching for you. I guarantee to boost your Geocaching stats with a zero DNF rate.

Just choose the number of smileys you would like per day in a certain area and watch your numbers go through the roof. I also provide

a First To Find service that is unmatched.

So, remember, It's all about the numbers...otherwise, they wouldn't keep score!

Cheers!