Printing location maps

KeithH

I am a newbie. I have worked out how to download sites and store them on my Garmin Etrex Vista HCx but how can I print an area map (say 2 mile radius from home) that shows not only the icon locations but gives the waypoint name.

Is it possible to somehow get the waypoint names to display on the Garmin screen and is it possible to get the hints onto the Garmin so that I can work without paper

If you become a premium member you can download some additional (limited) information to your unit using the EasyGPS software (easy and free) or GSAK - Geocaching Swiss Army knife (powerful software but not free). You can also use GSAK to convert the Geocaching data into POI files and store them on your unit.

I am a newbie. I have worked out how to download sites and store them on my Garmin Etrex Vista HCx but how can I print an area map (say 2 mile radius from home) that shows not only the icon locations but gives the waypoint name.

Is it possible to somehow get the waypoint names to display on the Garmin screen and is it possible to get the hints onto the Garmin so that I can work without paper

I have printed maps with the icons and cache names on them, but I was using high-end GIS software. Not sure if any of the free tools will allow this. You could try the Google Earth Viewer though. If you go to your profile page (Your Profile/Quick View) and scroll down to the "Geocache Google Earth Viewer" section you should find the link to download the viewer. You may find more options there for printing out the kind of map you are looking for.

What I would recommend instead is that you become familiar with the Map screen on your GPS. Once you have loaded a few caches on there, you can zoom in and out on the map to see where the caches are, and click on them to get the details.

Check the settings page on your GPS. You may have an option in there to display either the cache name or the GC Code. I know I can switch between the two on my Garmin Oregon, and I would think you could do the same on the eTrex.

Premium membership ($30/yr) will allow you to create Pocket Queries. Basically, you can download a file containing up to 1000 caches in a given area. You can filter these to include only the caches you want to find. For example, you could ask for 500 Traditional caches within 10 miles of your home coordinates that have a Difficulty/Terrain rating of 2/2 or less.

This makes it easier to load a bunch of caches on your GPS at once. As StarBrand mentioned, there are programs like GSAK that can help you take your pocket query file and send things like the hint to your GPS along with the other data.

If you have a smart phone (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.) there are other tools that you can use to be able to view the cache pages in the field. Even an old style PDA can be loaded with the data from your pocket query.

A great way to learn about all these tools is to try to attend a geocaching event. You will find lots of friendly people with lots of experience and advise to help you get started.

If you are going to do any amount of caching at all, it will pay you to become a premium member. With that you can bookmark the caches you want to do. Once you have the list, you can download and open a Google Earth KML which puts all the caches in your list on a map with each cache named. Just print the Google Earth map and there you go.

I don't know ... can a free member bookmark the caches? Been so long that I can't remember.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

[What I would recommend instead is that you become familiar with the Map screen on your GPS. Once you have loaded a few caches on there, you can zoom in and out on the map to see where the caches are, and click on them to get the details.]

I have downloaded and installed the UK GMAPSUPP file and uploaded it to the 4gb SD card I have put into my Etrex. I have uploaded about 30 locations but none of the show on the map except the one that appears when I enter a waypoint to be searched for and its name is provided if I move the pointer onto it

The fact that the current one displays on the map tells me they are all on the system somewhere and I am guessing I have not got a particular setting correct but I can't spot which one. Can anyone spot what I have done wrong.