Transfering my Geocache App from IPhone to new Magellan 510

melissa236

No you cannot. The Magellan is not a phone, it doesn't need or want an app.

I'll take that back (some 'gadget wizard' may be able to do that)-- so maybe you can, but why would you want to?

Aside from not going live, the Magellan already does everything else. It is a receiver only, I doubt that it could be turned into a transmitter, as a phone.

No you cannot. The Magellan is not a phone, it doesn't need or want an app.

I'll take that back (some 'gadget wizard' may be able to do that)-- so maybe you can, but why would you want to?

Aside from not going live, the Magellan already does everything else. It is a receiver only, I doubt that it could be turned into a transmitter, as a phone.

Even a gadget wizard couldn't do it. The geocaching app on the iPhone is a native application that runs on Apple IOS. The Magellan hardware just can't support running mobile operating system such as IOS. There *is* a GPS called an "All Sports GPS" that runs the Android operating system and conceivably the geocaching app for the Android could be ported to run on it, but it would probably take a gadget wizard to do it.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense. I like that the app allows me to map my location anywhere and find caches in that area. My GPS came with 1000 pre-loaded caches, can you download more?

As a Premium Member, you can perform Pocket Query (PQ) searches. You can run 5/day, up to 1,000 per query. You do not have to run it for 1,000 though.

Load them directly into the Magellan and you are set to go. I do not know how many caches that particular unit will hold (obviously, at least 1,000).

Take a look at this tutorial: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Find a link to make PQ's on your Profile page under the heading of Premium Features. You can play a lot with them -- just leave the 'date to run' unchecked and [submit]. You will the be allowed to view just what it is that you would have ran. Like the results? Then check the date to run and run it.

Load them into the GPSr and all the info is there, just like a cache page. No photos, however.