1st time GPS Purchaser

Ksawey

I'm looking at purchasing a GPS for hiking and geocaching with my kids. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I want something reliable and with enough features for geocaching. I've looked at several but the Garmin Etrex 20 seems to fit what I'm looking for. I would like some opinions on this model and is it worth the additional $75.00 to get the Etrex 30. Thank You

You can find great reviews specifically for your etrex and geocaching right on the geocaching.com website.

eTrex20: http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps_garmin_etrex-20

eTrex30: http://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps_garmin_etrex-30

We have a cacher in our local geocaching group that has just purchased a used eTrex 20. He mentioned that things were a little farther off than he thought was normal. We mentioned that he should check to make sure that the device had the latest firmware on it to see if that helps. We haven't heard back to see if that was successful.

I hope that this helps.

Just recently bought a etrex20.At first I struggled to set it up but kept at it. Downloaded the latest updates and a UK map on sd card from Martain at talkytoaster.I could not be more pleased. After having to use paper or work with my android phone as well as old model gps,this is a joy to use.

I'm looking at purchasing a GPS for hiking and geocaching with my kids. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I want something reliable and with enough features for geocaching. I've looked at several but the Garmin Etrex 20 seems to fit what I'm looking for. I would like some opinions on this model and is it worth the additional $75.00 to get the Etrex 30. Thank You

Thank you all for the replies. I will purchase the Etrex 20.

The main difference between the E20 and E30 is the barometric altimeter and the compass.

You say you want it for geocaching, but remember, you are also buying a handheld device suitable for more than just geocaching.

My take on the two options. Note, I own the eTrex HCX Vista which shares many of the same features as the E30.

Barometric altimeter: A nice to have. I find the altitude provided by the satellites and barometric altimeter to be quite accurate. I just like knowing the elevation. I haven't found much practical use for it on the hikes I've done. Others may.

Electronic comass: Nearly a must have, unless you want to carry another compass with you. The GPS can point you in the direction based on your movement, but if you are still and need to guage a reference to where you need to go, the compass is essential. There have been many times when I haven't been able to pinpoint ground zero because of interference. So, I walk 50-90 feet away, use the compass to guide me to the cache (while standing still) and walk a number of steps right to it.

I've also encountered a multi-cache where it required me to walk along a bearing. I needed the compass for that.

I'd go with the E30. Yes, a little more money now, but its better than wishing you had it later. For me, I bought the Vista HCX before the E30 came out. If I were to choose now, I'd go for the E30. BUT...I have no plans to upgrade to the E30 because the Vista has all the basic functions the E30 has (less paperless caching, but I have a iPAQ for that). You are entering the market without having one, I'd go for the E30.

The main difference between the E20 and E30 is the barometric altimeter and the compass.

You say you want it for geocaching, but remember, you are also buying a handheld device suitable for more than just geocaching.

My take on the two options. Note, I own the eTrex HCX Vista which shares many of the same features as the E30.

Barometric altimeter: A nice to have. I find the altitude provided by the satellites and barometric altimeter to be quite accurate. I just like knowing the elevation. I haven't found much practical use for it on the hikes I've done. Others may.

Electronic comass: Nearly a must have, unless you want to carry another compass with you. The GPS can point you in the direction based on your movement, but if you are still and need to guage a reference to where you need to go, the compass is essential. There have been many times when I haven't been able to pinpoint ground zero because of interference. So, I walk 50-90 feet away, use the compass to guide me to the cache (while standing still) and walk a number of steps right to it.

I've also encountered a multi-cache where it required me to walk along a bearing. I needed the compass for that.

I'd go with the E30. Yes, a little more money now, but its better than wishing you had it later. For me, I bought the Vista HCX before the E30 came out. If I were to choose now, I'd go for the E30. BUT...I have no plans to upgrade to the E30 because the Vista has all the basic functions the E30 has (less paperless caching, but I have a iPAQ for that). You are entering the market without having one, I'd go for the E30.

I agree....go with the 30. I started geocaching using units that had no electronic compass and have about 12 of them. About in 2004 we began using units that had 3 axis electronic compasses and never looked back. First let me say I carry a military compass and DON'T need a compass. When you have a cache loaded as a destination your units pointer will always point right at the cache even if you are moving slowly or standing still. Where I cache, because of terrain, there are times you can't move very fast and other times its great to stand still and get a nice lock on the cache location. Next to mapping I think the electronic " pointer " is the most important thing on a GPS for geocaching. Of all the topics on these forums this one puzzles me the most. I can only assume the vast majority of folks who say you wouldn't benefit from an electronic " pointer " have never used a good tri axis one for any length of time......if they did they would never want to be without one.

Every now and then I grab a few with my Meridian Color or Gold or my Etrex and I remember how to do the drunk walk but I can't wait to get back to my 62S or Platinum.

I have 2 eTrex Vista HCX gps'r that I use for hunting/hiking, and for my geocaching unit I bought the eTrex 20. If someone offered the 30 at the same price as the 20, I would have taken it, but for the extra $70 for the compass it just wasn't worth it to me. I would make the same decision today. But if you have an extra $70, go for it.

Phizy, did the cache require you to walk along a bearing, or did it require you to project a new waypoint at a certain bearing and distance from your original position? The eTrex 20 can do the latter, very easily.