Placeholders

There is a CO in my area that is notorious for not maintaining his cruddy pill bottle hides. He ignores all NM posts until his caches get archived, but then he jumps right on them and gets them reinstated, usually within a day or two. This normally wouldn't even be a concern for me except there is a spot that I really want to hide a cache in but it is too close to one of his hides.

I know it's only a matter of time before it needs maintenance and gets archived again (it's been archived twice before) and I am a patient person. I know I could swoop in and hide one the next time his gets archived, however, since he is so quick to get his caches unarchived, I'll likely miss the opportunity when it arises, especially since I'm not premium and do not get the notifications.

My question has to do with placeholders. I know that unsubmitted listings can block new placements when they show up on the reviewer's proximity search (had it happen to me back when I was on a team). If I were to create a listing with my desired coordinates but not send it up for review, I know it would show up on a proximity search, but would it block his from being reinstated the next time it gets archived or would his automatically win out because it has a lower GC number?

There is a CO in my area that is notorious for not maintaining his cruddy pill bottle hides. He ignores all NM posts until his caches get archived, but then he jumps right on them and gets them reinstated, usually within a day or two. This normally wouldn't even be a concern for me except there is a spot that I really want to hide a cache in but it is too close to one of his hides.

I know it's only a matter of time before it needs maintenance and gets archived again (it's been archived twice before) and I am a patient person. I know I could swoop in and hide one the next time his gets archived, however, since he is so quick to get his caches unarchived, I'll likely miss the opportunity when it arises, especially since I'm not premium and do not get the notifications.

My question has to do with placeholders. I know that unsubmitted listings can block new placements when they show up on the reviewer's proximity search (had it happen to me back when I was on a team). If I were to create a listing with my desired coordinates but not send it up for review, I know it would show up on a proximity search, but would it block his from being reinstated the next time it gets archived or would his automatically win out because it has a lower GC number?

I believe the holds are a couple weeks only. another thing is is the CO within the reviewers clique? if so, FORGET about ever scooping the spot!

Hard to tell what could happen.

Your un-reviewed cache would hold the spot under 'normal' circumstances,and it would hold the location for an indefinite time unless someone else came along (to hide a cache nearby) and there was a conflict. In that case, the potential cache with the lower GC ID would have precedent.

In this situation, it depends on the reviewer.

The reviewer may be fed-up with these antics, or the reviewer may see a need to allow the archived cache to get fixed before publishing any others nearby. If the reviewer has had extra work to do thanks to this person, I'd bet they would probably welcome a CO who wants to take care of their cache(s) without being told to.

Hard to tell what could happen.

Your un-reviewed cache would hold the spot under 'normal' circumstances,and it would hold the location for an indefinite time unless someone else came along (to hide a cache nearby) and there was a conflict. In that case, the potential cache with the lower GC ID would have precedent.

In this situation, it depends on the reviewer.

The reviewer may be fed-up with these antics, or the reviewer may see a need to allow the archived cache to get fixed before publishing any others nearby. If the reviewer has had extra work to do thanks to this person, I'd bet they would probably welcome a CO who wants to take care of their cache(s) without being told to.

Before unarchiving an archived cache, the reviewer is supposed to re-review it using all of the current guidlines. An interesting question is if his lower ID number would stand up in a proximity issue. If he is simply creating new listings, you would have the lower ID and the reviewer would contact you regarding your intentions.

I will never understand why ACTIVE cachers will ignore reviewer warnings and force the reviewer to archive their caches. This wastes everyones time, particularly the reviewer's

If I were to create a listing with my desired coordinates but not send it up for review, I know it would show up on a proximity search, but would it block his from being reinstated the next time it gets archived or would his automatically win out because it has a lower GC number?

Interesting question. I agree with Briansnat, ie, write it up. Wait, watch the other cache - (which you can do without being Premium) and the INSTANT you see an archived log, enable yours. At that moment, yours is publishable.

If you miss that moment, it's hard to say exactly what happens next - ie, the cache is archived, the owner requests unarchive - your cache is "there" but not enabled.... you really can't use a listing to dibs an invalid location. So your placeholder isn't "holding" anything - until the cache is archived. And then it's golden.

I believe the holds are a couple weeks only. another thing is is the CO within the reviewers clique? if so, FORGET about ever scooping the spot!

Are you suggesting that reviewers give favorable treatment to friends?

Submit your cache but leave it unactivated. Put the cache in question on your watch list. The moment you see it archived, submit your cache.

Don't you get notified automatically if you submit a cache, even unactivated, that violates the proximity rule? I thought this was one of the ways you can test a spot before you actually put a container out.

Don't you get notified automatically if you submit a cache, even unactivated, that violates the proximity rule? I thought this was one of the ways you can test a spot before you actually put a container out.

Nope. If that were allowed, people could "battleship" the locations of multi and puzzle finals. Reviewers have to check each and every cache for proximity issues. There's no automatic function.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll create a listing and wait. Thanks for mentioning the watch list Briansnat, I didn't even think about that. The team I used to cache with shared a premium membership so we got notifications for everything. Now that I'm on my own with a basic membership, I wasn't expecting any notifications. I totally forgot that basic members get notifications for watch list caches. Thanks again.