Geocachers discovered a body

They have found several bodies on long island which do not match a single killer. The police have speculated that there is a few different serial killers working the area.

A big story is going to break on Monday regarding those Gilgo Beach murders. You heard it here first!

Its Tuesday now.

and....?

It never broke! So I don't know. Either it was a simple rumor or they're still keeping it quiet.

Long story short, there was a guy out here who killed himself during his company's Christmas party. Up until now, people figured he was having money issues, etc... But a buddy of mine heard from a LEO that the real reason he did it was because they were starting to get close to him. But then, even the papers didn't come out and say "suicide" they said "found dead in his car." The police say suicide.

But even my mother heard that rumor, from a guy who doesn't even live in the state anymore. So who knows what's really going on. I'll sit back with a bucket of popcorn and keep watching all the drama out here :laughing:

We were competing in a national numbers competition called Cache League and didn't want to get tied up there so we found the cache and moved on without calling the police.

... but you did notify the police soon afterwards, didn't you?

They wrote CALL 911 BODY NEARBY in sharpie on the cache container for the next cacher.

:)

Well, it's ironic that I've been participating in this discussion, and then a dead body turned up near me tonight. To keep this on topic: I've been working on placing an Earthcache at this spot. :unsure:

Every year, we go on a church retreat to the Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory, which is next to Deception Pass in Washington State. This evening when we pulled in, we noticed that a Coast Guard helicopter kept circling around the area. After we were done unpacking and having dinner in our little cabin by the water, everyone went up to the main building for worship.

It had been cloudy and windy all day, and just as I was going up for worship, the sun came out and lit up the coast and the waves. So I went out on the beach to take some pictures. I would have spent more time on the beach, but I wanted to join everyone else, so I left.

About 20 minutes later, several church members started leaving worship and they said that they had found the person the Coast Guard had been looking for. My husband didn't know if the person needed help, and since he had been an EMT, he left to join the group. I would have gone too, but I feel in those situations, less is more, and I felt sorry for the pastor because a third of our group (mainly teenagers) left as well.

It turned out that someone had jumped off Deception Pass Bridge about two hours earlier. He had washed up on the beach below where we were, on Rosario Beach at Deception Pass State Park. I realized that he had to have been there when I was taking all my pictures, and sure enough, when I looked through them I could see him on the beach. I was so focused on my camera and being in a hurry, that I didn't see him there clearly in front of me. Also, my children had wandered down the beach even farther than me before heading up to the main building, and were fairly close to the body. I can only think that they didn't see him because it was so cloudy and gloomy at the time.

Here's the view, you can see the orange Coast Guard helicopter flying over the trees, missing the body even though the helicopter had flown nearly over it seconds before (I hope I'm not offending anyone, you can't really see him in this small of a shot):

6998147170_243126bd1f.jpg

Searching 2 by Ambrosia_apples, on Flickr

What an odd coincident! I was working out in North Bend(small town that adjoins Coos Bay), almost 1000 miles from my home base, during this same time frame and I did do a little geocaching while I was there. Small world. Glad I didn't find him/her but glad that they were found for the sake of the family.

Edited by jaroot

What an odd coincident! I was working out in North Bend(small town that adjoins Coos Bay), almost 1000 miles from my home base, during this same time frame and I did do a little geocaching while I was there. Small world. Glad I didn't find him/her but glad that they were found for the sake of the family.

Interesting!

It was good that he was found so quickly, so they didn't have to search for very long and the family didn't have to wait. The whole thing is very sad.

There's actually an Earthcache right on the Deception Pass Bridge, as well. I found it a few years back, one of the requirements was to get your picture on the bridge.

Well, it's ironic that I've been participating in this discussion, and then a dead body turned up near me tonight. To keep this on topic: I've been working on placing an Earthcache at this spot. :unsure:

I wonder if there is some sort of curse here with thread participants...

I didn't discover a body, but today, when I was about to set off on a hike, park rangers at the trailhead were turning people away, because someone died on the trail an hour ago. He died of an apparent heart attack, but the park district closed the park so that emergency vehicles could get there easily. Just as I was about to leave for a different trailhead, they re-opened the park.

I totally can't see the body in the photograph.

Is it on the waterline? That's where it looks like to me...

If you look at the original photo size, you can see him at the waterline (also zooming in gives more detail). I don't know if it's appropriate to go into it anymore in the forums. It's not like he's totally obvious, but once I noticed him, he sticks out to me in every picture I took.

Edited by Ambrosia