Moderately Ignorant Question

BaylorGrad

Ok, I know this sounds dumb, and I'm not sure how to word it any better... But how far is the exact distance from one coordinate point to the next in feet? I'm not sure if I'm explaining that correct. Basically, what I'm asking is--what would the distance be between, for example:

N 35 42.011 W 082 32.132

and

N 35 42.012 W 082 32.132

Notice that the only difference is one numeral at the end of the Northern coordinates. What would the exact difference in feet be?

Thanks!

BaylorGrad

Ok, I know this sounds dumb, and I'm not sure how to word it any better... But how far is the exact distance from one coordinate point to the next in feet? I'm not sure if I'm explaining that correct. Basically, what I'm asking is--what would the distance be between, for example:

N 35 42.011 W 082 32.132

and

N 35 42.012 W 082 32.132

Notice that the only difference is one numeral at the end of the Northern coordinates. What would the exact difference in feet be?

Thanks!

BaylorGrad

I like the online Ed Williams Great Circle Calculator too. If you use Windows, and would like an offline solution, check out FizzyCalc

One decimal digit of N (or S) coordinate is almost exactly 6 feet anywhere on the planet. One decimal of W (or E) coordinate is 6 feet at the equator, 3 feet at 60 degrees Latitude, and 0 feet at either pole. Test it on the coord calculators.