[FEATURE] Allow an unfound cache to be a favourite

KrispyDuck

Some of the caches I've enjoyed the most have been challenging and interesting even though I've failed to find them. It's a shame a great cache can only be recognised when you defeat it! A worthy opponent is surely deserving of respect. Would it be unreasonable to allow a favourite point to be awarded alongside a logged DNF?

Some of the caches I've enjoyed the most have been challenging and interesting even though I've failed to find them. It's a shame a great cache can only be recognised when you defeat it! A worthy opponent is surely deserving of respect. Would it be unreasonable to allow a favourite point to be awarded alongside a logged DNF?

I had this idea also, since one of my most memorable hunts ended up being a DNF. But when I thought about it further, I can see why it's not allowed. Internationally "popular" caches would start getting favorite points from people who never came close to actually hunting for them, as has happened with some virtuals.

I tried logging a "found it", giving a favorite point, and then changing back to a DNF, but it takes away your favorite point.

1. log the cache as a find
  2. click add to Favorites
  3. Edit log to change it to a DNF

or if you are concerned about the cache owner getting a Fount It email

1. Log the cache as a DNF
  2. Edit log to change it to a Found It
  3. Click add to Favorites
  4. Edit log to change it back to DNF

Although we didn't get our geocache smiley we walked away with a smile on our face. The historical house was closed for tours but the caretaker approached us & we spent a great amount of time talking with him. He started telling us a lot of the history of the house and about it being haunted.

I understand about the potential for abuse but we ran into a favorite this weekend that ended up being a DNF (the caretaker verified it was missing).

We'll definitely go back

1. to go through a tour that they offer

2. to find the cache once it gets replaced (hopefully it does)

I had this same thought today. There was a cache that was placed near the end of a very nice trail. The spring flowers were beautiful and the wife and I had a great time walking down. It turned out that we missed a side trail somewhere and I wound up climbing a very steep hillside to get to ground zero. I looked for a while and had to abandon the search since it was getting late in the afternoon and we had a hike back to the car.

In this case, I very much liked the location and was glad that the cache took us out there. I would like to add a favorite vote, so that other people will go there (since you can easily see on both geocaching.com and on the various apps which caches have favorite votes). My not having found the cache in no way removes the fact that it was a favorite of mine!

Please allow favorite points on any kind of log!

I had this same thought today. There was a cache that was placed near the end of a very nice trail. The spring flowers were beautiful and the wife and I had a great time walking down. It turned out that we missed a side trail somewhere and I wound up climbing a very steep hillside to get to ground zero. I looked for a while and had to abandon the search since it was getting late in the afternoon and we had a hike back to the car.

In this case, I very much liked the location and was glad that the cache took us out there. I would like to add a favorite vote, so that other people will go there (since you can easily see on both geocaching.com and on the various apps which caches have favorite votes). My not having found the cache in no way removes the fact that it was a favorite of mine!

Please allow favorite points on any kind of log!

Add it to a public bookmark list titled "todpike's favorite caches (and DNFs)".

As soon as you change it to a DNF, your favourite point will be removed from that cache, since you haven't found it.

Really? Have you tried it?

I have a favourite point on one of our own caches which I put there ages ago.

I transferred the cache to my daughter's ID logged a find, gave it a favourite, transferred it back and deleted the find.

The favourite point is still there!

(I only did this to see if it could be done)

As soon as you change it to a DNF, your favourite point will be removed from that cache, since you haven't found it.

Really? Have you tried it?

I just did. I found an old archived cache that has a known-MIA owner. I logged a find, awarded it a point, confirmed my point was correctly registered, then changed the log to a DNF. As soon as I went back to the listing, the point had been automatically removed, as it's designed to. I also tried changing my log back to a find, added the point again, then deleted the find log. As expected, the point was removed. I suspect the procedure you described is a loophole (read: bug) that actually allows you to have a point awarded to a cache that isn't currently listed as found by you. That certainly isn't the way the system is intended to work.

I'd like to award a Favourite point to a cache where I logged a DNF but that option doesn't seem to be available. I loved the location and had a great time there and the small matter of not finding the box shouldn't deprive the cache owner of another fav point.

My only restriction would be that you have to have made an attempt to find the cache.

That's certainly a possible restriction, but since "attempt to find" is not clearly defined while "have found" has an official meaning, I consider the existing restriction less arbitrary. As it happens, I also think it makes the most sense. It doesn't make sense for me to allow someone to declare a cache a favorite if they haven't had the entire experience. Beyond the possibility of abuse mentioned in the other thread, it just opens up the possibility of the actual container or hide being a universal turn off, yet the favorite points by people that didn't find it will not reflect that problem.