Geocaching in Europe from USA

Weatherkid11

I will be traveling to Greece for two weeks from Chicago, IL. I have an iPhone with Verizon, and I use the Geocaching app on there. I have downloaded the caches offline in Athens, so I have an offline list and maps saved. Am I able to navigate to those offline caches in Greece, since I wont have a data/internet connection, or does using the GPS require a data connection? I am just curious if anyone else has used their iPhone to geocache overseas without any data or internet connection, and if the GPS still worked or not. Thanks!

I have used my iPhone and the geocaching app in Singapore, Tokyo, Bermuda, Mexico, Canada and the Dominican Republic.

As soon as you leave the continental United States, roaming data is billed at $19.97 a megabyte so make sure your data roaming is OFF.

One major issue with the geocaching.com app is that it currently requires wifi access to display previously saved log pictures. You can use the phone for geocaching without data or wifi if you save the Pocket Queries to the device, but if you have any indication you may need photos from the cache pages or the cache logs, save them as screen shots on your device while you still have wifi available.

Edited by Wreck Diver

I will be traveling to Greece for two weeks from Chicago, IL. I have an iPhone with Verizon, and I use the Geocaching app on there. I have downloaded the caches offline in Athens, so I have an offline list and maps saved. Am I able to navigate to those offline caches in Greece, since I wont have a data/internet connection, or does using the GPS require a data connection? I am just curious if anyone else has used their iPhone to geocache overseas without any data or internet connection, and if the GPS still worked or not. Thanks!

I've done some testing with Data turned off using a local pocket query saved in the official geocaching app. If you use the compass screen for navigating to the cache it actually works reasonably well. That said, I haven't used my iPhone when caching abroad as I also have a dedicated handheld GPS and use the Garmin OpenStreetMaps on it. It's really handy having a GPS with good base maps, probably more so just for getting around than for geocaching. That's worked for me in 13 different countries.