Difficulty Ratings

KaiserKlan

I like the idea of an averaged finder difficulty rating in addition to the owner's rating.

I don't think the owner's rating should ever be adjusted except by the owner.

I think finder opinions would certainly give a more accurate rating from the finder point of view. I think it's possible that sometimes a cache is easier or harder to find than the owner intended or thinks.

Good idea!

If you don't agree with the cache owner's ratings, mention what you think they should be in your log.

My experience has been that on average, cache owners tend to underrate the terrain by about 1/2 star while also overrating the difficulty by 1 or more stars.

After you have done a couple of caches by any particular cache owner, you learn what their tendencies are.

I agree with the above. The cache owner should have ultimate control. I have adjusted my caches because of posts by the finders.

With that said. It would be neat to have a difficutly tally by those who have found the cache.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

I like the idea of an additonal difficulty rating based on finder feedback.

In fact, I'd support almost any idea that encouraged more feedback. I'd love a built-in "Rate this cache" option -- though that would be more controversial, since there are so many different aspects to caching. Still, I think it would tend to improve caches overall.

-BB

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

I like the idea of an additonal difficulty rating based on finder feedback.

In fact, I'd support almost any idea that encouraged more feedback. I'd love a built-in "Rate this cache" option -- though that would be more controversial, since there are so many different aspects to caching. Still, I think it would tend to improve caches overall.

-BB

Every time you log a cache we have the opportunity to provide feedback on a cache and at the same time you can rate the cache. We definitely do not need the above mentioned option on a cache page.

I will often comment on the cache difficulty if it is under/over rated, sometimes they are changed other times they are not. Personally, I really don't care one way or the other. I will update the ratings on my own caches if I get feedback about my ratings from more than one or two cachers. I feel the system works just fine.

-Wily Javelina