Collecting advice

Nomesquad

Hello geocoin lovers :) Been lurking around here reading as much as possible for a while now, but I have a few questions about starting our geocoin collection. We've bought a few and admired/discovered/moved a couple in our caching adventures, and really admired some collections at the event we've been to. There are some awesome artists out there!

We're at the point that we want to mint our own personal geocoin. I've drawn my design and am in the process of getting quotes from a few minters listed in the stickies. We want to have them to start a collection with by trading for other personal geocoins, and geocoins involving gnomes or cats (or both! lol), and then of course have a pile of them for doing whatever else. Of course it'll be trackable and have a custom icon.. I know that's what I'd like for a collection so that's what I want to do with ours.

Having said all of that, can I expect anyone from the geocoin forums to want to trade with me, and how many should I plan on? Is it common for people to want to buy instead of trade? Is it common to post a design and show it off at any stage of the minting process? I realize its probably dependent on the design, I know it would be for me.

Silly questions I'm sure, but thanks for taking the time to give advice. I appreciate it!

Having said all of that, can I expect anyone from the geocoin forums to want to trade with me, and how many should I plan on? Is it common for people to want to buy instead of trade? Is it common to post a design and show it off at any stage of the minting process? I realize its probably dependent on the design, I know it would be for me.

Silly questions I'm sure, but thanks for taking the time to give advice. I appreciate it!

Hello Nomesquad,

there are no silly questions, only silly answers! Here are my answers to your questions and I hope they will help you.

- I also would trade with our personal coin.

- we ordered 100 and I have still a few left so I think this is a good number to start with

- regarding buying versus trading i would say that trading personals is very common (our coin was a trade only coin too)

- yes, it is very common to show the design before the minting process to get an idea how many would like to have thsi coin but of course this is up to everyone else

Good luck for your project and I'm looking forward to see your design sometime in the future...

First off, welcome to the forum. Second, you may need to padlock your wallet and throw away the key as it becomes almost impossible to say "NO" to the new coin just made :laughing:

I too have just started designing and producing geocoins. My first, "Gator ate my Cache" Geocoin, has just come out and already I have 2 more designs on the go.

A huge part of the fun is trading what you have with others, in fact a big selection of my collection came through trading.

I have found it a good idea to post my designs once I have the mint art as it gives a good idea of the final product. Oh and I would be happy to trade with you for one of your coins :)

Good luck with your first coin and I look forward to seeing a design in the near future.

Edited by jpbarr
can I expect anyone from the geocoin forums to want to trade with me, and how many should I plan on?

Yes people like to trade.

Is it common for people to want to buy instead of trade?

Yes, more people buy than trade.

Is it common to post a design and show it off at any stage of the minting process? I realize its probably dependent on the design, I know it would be for me.

As long as you stick to the one coin = one thread rule you can post your artwork at any and all stages. I usually post when I have artwork drawn up from the mint or I have samples.

Hello geocoin lovers :) Been lurking around here reading as much as possible for a while now, but I have a few questions about starting our geocoin collection. We've bought a few and admired/discovered/moved a couple in our caching adventures, and really admired some collections at the event we've been to. There are some awesome artists out there!

We're at the point that we want to mint our own personal geocoin. I've drawn my design and am in the process of getting quotes from a few minters listed in the stickies. We want to have them to start a collection with by trading for other personal geocoins, and geocoins involving gnomes or cats (or both! lol), and then of course have a pile of them for doing whatever else. Of course it'll be trackable and have a custom icon.. I know that's what I'd like for a collection so that's what I want to do with ours.

it might help to post a few things along with your geocoins design...is your coin trackable on geocaching.com, will it have its own icon?

i'm currently waiting on the third of my personal coins...my first two coins were trade only. although you'll get some trades through the geocoin forum, i think you'll enjoy trading coins more at geocaching events...the mega events i've been to all had a time and place for showing and trading coins (you'll get to meet face to face with people that frequent the geocoin forum, and the more sain collectors ( <_< ) that attempt to keep their geocoin addiction to themselves.)

i look forward to seeing your coin or design, and hopefully a trade once i receive my coins !

ILYK

Hi,

Yes, I would also like to trade for your personal. All of our personal coins have been for trade only. A few time I have made suggestion of coins that are available at stores for people that do not have any traders. I think making your own is a good way to start a collection.

Please keep us up to date on your progress.

Thank you so much for the advice and answers to my questions. I can't wait to get the coin made and as soon as I've gotten my mint quotes and designs approved I'll definitely share it with everyone. I'm so excited!

In the meantime, I'll be reading and learning... :)