Magellan GC - worst purchase ever

I thought my research was pretty good but I am VERY unhappy with my new Magellan GC. It's going back to the store first thing tomorrow.

Here are a few of my issues:

1. The text on the screen is barely large enough for me to see. (And I have the 1.6 update.)

2. It's too easy to accidentally push the joystick button while navigating.

3. The Magellan Communicator doesn't work at all. (I tried everything.) Because of this I can't use the "Send to GPS" feature.

4. It's extremely difficult to close the back case.

5. The little rubber cover over the mini USB port keeps popping open. I can't keep it closed.

6. But worst of all, after finally getting a pocket query transferred over, the GC now just crashes when I turn it on. (Some sort of buffer overrun error in the compass.) Nothing works -- I can't even turn the power off. I suspect there's a problem with my pocket query but it won't let me access the device to delete any files. Finally took the batteries out and that shut down the screen, but after a reboot it's still doing the same thing.

Sorry if I'm sounding sort of angry but my daughter is coming for a visit tomorrow so we can all go geocaching as a family, and I've been messing with this thing for over 4 hours.

I thought my research was pretty good but I am VERY unhappy with my new Magellan GC. It's going back to the store first thing tomorrow.

1. The text on the screen is barely large enough for me to see. (And I have the 1.6 update.)

3. The Magellan Communicator doesn't work at all. (I tried everything.) Because of this I can't use the "Send to GPS" feature.

5. The little rubber cover over the mini USB port keeps popping open. I can't keep it closed.

6. But worst of all, after finally getting a pocket query transferred over, the GC now just crashes when I turn it on. (Some sort of buffer overrun error in the compass.) Nothing works -- I can't even turn the power off. I suspect there's a problem with my pocket query but it won't let me access the device to delete any files. Finally took the batteries out and that shut down the screen, but after a reboot it's still doing the same thing.

Sorry if I'm sounding sort of angry but my daughter is coming for a visit tomorrow so we can all go geocaching as a family, and I've been messing with this thing for over 4 hours.

My GC works fine (Compass ?), my 610 had similar problems, Mitec replaced it in two days after a phone call.

Jim

Edited by jmgazer

1. I'll have to admit the text is pretty small. And I just turned 49, and have been rolling with reading glasses for 3 or 4 years. But I usually have no problems reading it. Maybe you've chosen one of the harder to read text on backgrounds?

2. Not too many problems with the joystick here, but I agree, I have accidently pushed while trying to move.

3. There is a known issue with Magellan communicator, and "send to GPS" Keeps asking you if you want to upgrade to a newer version, right? Just say no, that pop-up will go away, and use the communicator as it's intended to work. Supposedly this is all on Magellan to fix, not Groundspeak. This doesn't mean Magellan sucks for all eternity, there have been problems with Garmin Communicator in the past. :)

4. Yes, the back case can be difficult!! But I've actually "practiced", and I think I have it down. :lol:

5. No major issues with rubber cover here.

6. Most importantly, try registering and asking at this explorist forum for your unfortunate buffer overload issue. It's very active, although I'd doubt they can help you resolve your issue quickly today. You never know though.

There wasn't a more die-hard Magellan fan on these forums than me but since the Meridian line was dropped its been downhill. I still use my Meridians ( I have at least one of all of them )....I carry Platinums for backup.

I would recommend a Garmin 62S.....my wife likes her Oregon but I don't care for the touchscreen.

There are times when these units are on sale and its not unusual to save $100 or so.

It sounds like you weren't able to test drive any GPSrs out in the store. That is a shame. If you don't mind me asking. Why are worried about the Send to GPS feature when you use PQs?

I apologize for my emotion-fueled post last night, but I was very frustrated and it was way way past my bedtime. ;-) This morning, I tried to change the title to something a little less histrionic but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. So, my apologies.

To be clear, most of my complaints were minor annoyances; but downloading my first set of caches basically "bricked" the unit, and that was supremely frustrating. I Googled "Magellan GC buffer overflow compass" and found a post from someone who had the same problem. He managed to track the crash to a single cache description, speculating that perhaps it was the use of three exclamation points in one of the text fields. Unfortunately, his trick to reset the device (so he could use his computer to delete caches) didn't work for me... at all. I tried every combination of button presses I could think of, but I was never able to access the unit with my computer.

Figuring I would have to use my smartphone's GPS today, I left it charging while I returned the Magellan GC to REI. The store was closed when I got there, and my phone was at home, so I had no idea what time it was. I had set the GC's clock, before the crashes, so I turned it on. Unfortunately, the error occurs *before* it shows the time. (So it failed me one last time. <sigh>).

Anyway, I traded the GC in for a slightly more expensive eTrex 20. Had no trouble transferring the same PQ to the new device and it seemed to work pretty well! (Still getting used to it.)

Sorry to hear about this. I do like the Explorist, which I received as a gift, but I certainly can't argue the Etrex20 is a better unit.

If you would like some help with this, please feel free to email me at Zukicacher@gmail.com and we'll see what we can do about getting this unit to work. There is a way to get the unit into USB mode by holding the Joystick up while holding the menu button down at the same time, but time is extremely important. Have the unit connected to your computer and while holding the joystick up, menu button down then press and hold the power button down and hold the power button in unit the radar icon on the screen stops spinning and then let up on the power button and then after a second or two, then let up on the joystick and menu button. Once you've done this you should then delete all of the gpx files within the Geocaches directory. Unfortuntely this problem is sometimes cause by corrupt HTML that has been placed in the Geocache description on GC.com and is being passed to the GPS through the GPX file.

If you need any help, please feel free to contact me.

David

Magellan Insider

Sorry to hear about this. I do like the Explorist, which I received as a gift, but I certainly can't argue the Etrex20 is a better unit.

If you would like some help with this, please feel free to email me at Zukicacher@gmail.com and we'll see what we can do about getting this unit to work. There is a way to get the unit into USB mode by holding the Joystick up while holding the menu button down at the same time, but time is extremely important. Have the unit connected to your computer and while holding the joystick up, menu button down then press and hold the power button down and hold the power button in unit the radar icon on the screen stops spinning and then let up on the power button and then after a second or two, then let up on the joystick and menu button. Once you've done this you should then delete all of the gpx files within the Geocaches directory. Unfortuntely this problem is sometimes cause by corrupt HTML that has been placed in the Geocache description on GC.com and is being passed to the GPS through the GPX file.

David

Magellan Insider

I tried the Up/Menu/Power trick 50 times (along with every other combination of buttons and joystick presses I could think of), but could never access USB mode. (Though I wasn't as careful about releasing the buttons in any particular order.)

It's too late now. I already returned the unit and traded up to an eTrex 20. Thanks for trying to help, though! As I said, I would have changed my Subject the next day but I don't seem to be able to do that. It's not that I actually hated the GC, I was just frustrated when I found I couldn't use it.

Fortunately, the same PQ that killed the GC worked fine on the eTrex.

There wasn't a more die-hard Magellan fan on these forums than me but since the Meridian line was dropped its been downhill. I still use my Meridians ( I have at least one of all of them )....I carry Platinums for backup.

I would recommend a Garmin 62S.....my wife likes her Oregon but I don't care for the touchscreen.

There are times when these units are on sale and its not unusual to save $100 or so.

Those Meridians are still the best.

I, too, bought a 62s and am desparately trying to like it. I am thinking of purchasing a few Meridians for backup

David

Magellan Insider

Hello David. Excellent forum. I've probably referred 5 people from here over there in the last few months, although I only lurk, and haven't even created an account. I do actually have something on the "Add Geocache" averaging function I can't figure out, so I will get off my butt and de-lurk. Right after this, as a matter of fact. :lol:

I noted this shortly after I got my GC, about a year back.. Yep, I'm 48, coming up on 49 myself.. It's a bear, when you have to keep donning/dofting reading glasses once you get close to a cache. the GC's Micro-Type was always a pain! Hence why I kept going back to Garmins.. at least the screens were easier to read, and not requiring the back-lighting the Magellans always seem to need.

I'm on my 4th replacement of my GC. I've gotten one drop shipped to me everytime by support and it was from the same thing you found a bad PQ, or description or what-not. I'm careful about filtering my pq's now through gsak before I transfer it over. I never transfer pictures or anything else. It also helps if you disable tracks it picks up the speed. Anyways glad you were able to trade yours in for a etrex I bought mine through amazon and thats the last time i buy something like that over the internet.

.... There is a way to get the unit into USB mode by holding the Joystick up while holding the menu button down at the same time, but time is extremely important. Have the unit connected to your computer and while holding the joystick up, menu button down then press and hold the power button down and hold the power button in unit the radar icon on the screen stops spinning and then let up on the power button and then after a second or two, then let up on the joystick and menu button. Once you've done this you should then delete all of the gpx files within the Geocaches directory. .....

David

Magellan Insider

Thanks, this was very helpfull for me.

Rolf

I have owned both devices and am currently rolling the etrex 20. It too has some issues with GPS files and while it does not "brick" itself, it does occasionally load up with all its caches gone.. gone.. gone. :(

These things do feel like running around with a Palm Pilot sometimes.

I hope you are happier with the etrex, I know I am.

Shaun

I have owned both devices and am currently rolling the etrex 20. .... it does occasionally load up with all its caches gone.. gone.. gone. :(

IF this is occuring after sending new cgeocache.gpx files, there is a simple fix.

BEFORE sending new geocache.GPX, delete existing geocache.gpx, reboot GPSr, then, AFTER, load new geocache.gpx files.

i own the magllean explorist 310 and i have no issuses with it. my 310 and the GC work the same way. i have no problem reading the text. i had the same issue with the comunicator and it was my computer that was screwing it up. so i tryed it on another computer in my house and it downloaded in about 3 miniuts. i agree ity is very difficult to close the back cover but how many times are you going to change the batteries? i hope this will help and if u have any questions just send me an e-mail.

Edited by klausms0436

I'm on my 4th replacement of my GC. I've gotten one drop shipped to me everytime by support and it was from the same thing you found a bad PQ, or description or what-not. I'm careful about filtering my pq's now through gsak before I transfer it over. I never transfer pictures or anything else. It also helps if you disable tracks it picks up the speed. Anyways glad you were able to trade yours in for a etrex I bought mine through amazon and thats the last time i buy something like that over the internet.

There is a new firmware release coming for the GC very soon,which should fix this.

David

Magellan Insider/Beta Tester

There is a known issue with Magellan communicator, and "send to GPS" Keeps asking you if you want to upgrade to a newer version, right? Just say no, that pop-up will go away, and use the communicator as it's intended to work. Supposedly this is all on Magellan to fix, not Groundspeak. This doesn't mean Magellan sucks for all eternity, there have been problems with Garmin Communicator in the past. :)

This problem was resolved some time ago;however, the problem is that the version of the software with the problem will not update so the user is stuck with the problem. If you are seeing this problem, please go the MagellanGPS.com and download the newest version and this problem will go away. Also, if you are continuing to see problems with the communicator, also download the newest version.

David

Magellan Insider/Beta Tester