Sale on fake sprinklers

I was just browsing one of my favorite websites to get neat and interesting gadgets, ThinkGeek. I came across a fake sprinkler intended for use as a hide-a-key. It can easily be used as a cache container, and only for $1.99. Grab them while you can! Link

That is indeed a good price for a phony sprinkler head. And not unlike Forest Gump, that's all I have to say about that. :ph34r:

can easily be used as a cache container

There's no mention of an o-ring seal -- maybe one can be added? [EDIT: One description of maybe the same thing on ebay mentions a "rubber gasket"]. I've seen a fake sprinkler that slid from a separate sleeve, this one seems to be all one piece (although the CO could have specially designed that sleeved cache container). If cachers pull it from the dirt, replace it in the dirt, that might create a maintance issue. As for using it as a handy Geocache container, it seems a little roomier than a match tube. So that might be useful somewhere.

Think Geek also has their "Bonzai Kitten" on sale! But the DIY Guitar Pick Punch is not on sale (actually that could make some very cool Swag or Sig Items).

Edited by kunarion

I like the containers but the majority of the time the are placed in landscaping causing seekers to damage and trample flower beds etc.

If we can find them from the walkway we'll make the grab but if it means stepping in we move on. I think if you hid it close to a walkway and said in the description not to leave the walkway it would ALMOST work.....too many folks don't read cache pages.

There's no mention of an o-ring seal -- maybe one can be added? [EDIT: One description of maybe the same thing on ebay mentions a "rubber gasket"]. I've seen a fake sprinkler that slid from a separate sleeve, this one seems to be all one piece (although the CO could have specially designed that sleeved cache container). If cachers pull it from the dirt, replace it in the dirt, that might create a maintance issue. As for using it as a handy Geocache container, it seems a little roomier than a match tube. So that might be useful somewhere.

Think Geek also has their "Bonzai Kitten" on sale! But the DIY Guitar Pick Punch is not on sale (actually that could make some very cool Swag or Sig Items).

put the log in a little ziplock bag :ph34r:

I like the containers but the majority of the time the are placed in landscaping causing seekers to damage and trample flower beds etc.

If we can find them from the walkway we'll make the grab but if it means stepping in we move on. I think if you hid it close to a walkway and said in the description not to leave the walkway it would ALMOST work.....too many folks don't read cache pages.

ones by the walkway could be real - damage to real ones is okay? but don't damage the flowers?

Except that the power cachers work from PQs and don't read the descriptions unless they have problems finding the cache. Consider the fact that most of them don't care about other people landscaping, it's still a bad idea.

I realize that this is a result of bad habits on the finder's part. I just don't think that it is a good idea to encourage them.

put the log in a little ziplock bag :ph34r:

I have found that ziplocks fail rather quickly, especially if the bag is being folded across the seal. I agree with the idea that if you are depending on a baggie to keep your log dry, you have chosen a poor container to use for a cache.

I think the damage potential is over-rated. I've found several of these and pulled on some real ones while hunting them. You have to put some muscle into it to pull up a real one. The fake come right up with very little pull. If you have to try to wrestle it from the ground shame on you for not using common sense.

I've pretty much decided not to hide any more micros or I would get some of these.

I think the damage potential is over-rated. I've found several of these and pulled on some real ones while hunting them. You have to put some muscle into it to pull up a real one. The fake come right up with very little pull. If you have to try to wrestle it from the ground shame on you for not using common sense.

I've pretty much decided not to hide any more micros or I would get some of these.

I can't count how many times ive seen a flooded lawn due to a cache being hid where sprinklers are.

my opinion its just a bad idea in an urban setting.