20 digit code?

Team Tismon

Just as usual, I'm sure that this has already been discussed, but I am not able to find the answer.

I just was given a coin from a CITO I went to today and it seems to have an alpha-numeric, 20 digit code on it. I'm not sure what exactly to do with it and the park that ordered them (300 of them) isn't sure of the specifics of TBs, let alone the details about the code.

Any ideas?

Just as usual, I'm sure that this has already been discussed, but I am not able to find the answer.

I just was given a coin from a CITO I went to today and it seems to have an alpha-numeric, 20 digit code on it. I'm not sure what exactly to do with it and the park that ordered them (300 of them) isn't sure of the specifics of TBs, let alone the details about the code.

Any ideas?

I thought maybe I could find information on the event cache page, but I don't see it listed on your profile. Have you not logged the event cache yet?

Any ideas?

Was it GC3D1B6? The description said "There (should) be Lost River Cave trackable path tags available", then the Cache Owner made a note that "Lost River Geocoins are in". So now I'm confused, too. What you may do (if any of this sounds familiar), is to contact the CO.

Edited by kunarion

Sorry, I haven't had time to do a proper log, but yes that is the right one.

And I'll check out the pathtag site even though it says "Trackable at geocaching.com" right above the code. I can get a hold of the one who ordered them so I might try to contact the company as well. I'm really hoping that they didn't pull one over on a state park. Especially one that places their own caches and has tried to integrate with the hobby/sport as much as they have.

Sorry, I haven't had time to do a proper log, but yes that is the right one.

Why don't people do even the slightest logs (present company excluded, of course :P)?! The cache page mentions pathtags, Geocoins, people wanting both, yet has zero logs about anybody getting either coin, nobody seems to have activated any coins, and there don't seem to have been any coin photos posted anywhere.

I wonder why nobody knows what the coin's code means? B)

Edited by kunarion

If you wouldn't mind then, please explain how this 20 digit code is used? There aren't any breaks or dashes and the field for entering a trackable code won't accept ones this long.

Thank you

Try this page:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/activate.aspx

I'm able to enter well over a 100 character code. Is there a cache log, or a coin page, or a photo? Anything that details the kind of coin you have might be helpful. It's tougher having to guess the coin you're asking about.

I'm able to enter well over a 100 character code. Is there a cache log, or a coin page, or a photo? Anything that details the kind of coin you have might be helpful. It's tougher having to guess the coin you're asking about.

I had tried it on my Android browser, and seemed to have no limit to code length. Tried again on a Win XP PC (IE8), and there's a 10 character limit to the tracking code. So that sure doesn't allow the entry of a 20 character code.

Is there any other code on the coin? Around the edge?

Edited by kunarion

Solved! So this was actually pretty basic, just poorly constructed.

With a 20-digit code (or anything larger than 12), the first 6 digits are the tracking code, the second 6 digits are the activation code, and the remaining 8 digits (in this case only numbers), don't seem to mean anything at all. Perhaps the remaining is something internal to the manufacturer like a batch or order number.

I'm really not sure why this was done and how they expect that every cacher that finds this coin will be able to figure that out (though just using the first 6 to log it isn't that bad), but it at least is now registered.

And for the record, since the OP, I've had some time to do proper logs for that trip. :)

Solved! So this was actually pretty basic, just poorly constructed.

With a 20-digit code (or anything larger than 12), the first 6 digits are the tracking code, the second 6 digits are the activation code, and the remaining 8 digits (in this case only numbers), don't seem to mean anything at all. Perhaps the remaining is something internal to the manufacturer like a batch or order number.

I'm really not sure why this was done and how they expect that every cacher that finds this coin will be able to figure that out (though just using the first 6 to log it isn't that bad), but it at least is now registered.

And for the record, since the OP, I've had some time to do proper logs for that trip. :)

Excellent! Thank you for teaching us all about the code. It might come in handy some day.

With a 20-digit code (or anything larger than 12), the first 6 digits are the tracking code, the second 6 digits are the activation code, and the remaining 8 digits (in this case only numbers), don't seem to mean anything at all.

That's exactly what I was just about to say. .... NOT! :P

Congratulations on deciphering the code! If you can post a photo of the coin (code itself should be obscured), I'm sure it will help others when they find something similar -- or if they find one of those coins in a cache.

Does it have only numbers? Trackables lately have mostly letters, which creates a problem for people who'd like numbers. One recent post topic was a request for a TB with (I think) the number "23" in it, for a trackable tattoo.

It sounds like they had a coin made without clear instructions to the mint. If you have more than one coin is the activation set of numbers the same?

I agree. I don't think that the activation code should have been on the coin itself. Someone made a mistake along the way I'd guess.

I don't have more than one, but I might be able to get a hold of someone else who has one.

Though once it is activated, is that an issue any longer? Can it be re-activated to another account?

And this was done by a park trying to be extremely supportive of geocachers coming to help clean up the area. There should have been no expectations from the mint of the customer of what is normally seen in these situations. In my opinion, the mint caused this one.

The pattern is as follows: (Number Letter)

LLNNLNLLLNLLNNNNNNNN

And I'm not sure what more a picture might do, but since you asked...

LOL the 20-digit code is what you get from Groundspeak when ordering trackingcodes :D

LLNNLN = trackingcode

LLLNLL = activationcode

NNNN NNNN = reference number for icon and coin, you can find number looking at filename of the custom icon. If you order an icon later, filename will be "NNNN.gif", otherwise generic icon is "23.gif"

For example my Platons Atlantis 4755.gif has #4755

Usually all 4 blocks divided by a separator (";" or "," ... not sure) when getting codes from Groundspeak.

Do not know why you get the reference number 2 times, maybe first one is reference for coin design and second for icon.

Like one design but two icons (because of two different versions) it would be 12341234 and 12341235

Edited by wenzelbub

Thank you for giving us the final answer.

I've never seen one like this and honestly, why does Groundspeak do this? Perhaps that was the original way, but nowadays the 6-digit code is by far more recognizable.

Either way, thank you for closing this mystery completely.