careless cache finder

I have been doing a maintenance run of all our caches, and have gotten the first 10 or so done so far. I've been finding caches re-hidden by the same cacher, that was the last log, in a very haphazard way. One was just out in the open, when it should have been evident that it was intended to be covered. This cache is in a reasonably out of the way location, but there is some traffic in the area from time to time.

The other (a lock & lock) was nicely hidden under it's camo stuff, but the lid was sort of half sitting on the box. Not snapped shut. Luckily there had been no rain between them finding the cache and my maintenance run. There was no evidence of critter gnawing on the box, and I find it highly unlikely that a critter would unsnap 3 of the 4 tabs, which would have to have been done to remove the lid.

My question is should I say something to the cachers(s) in question, or simply go out to each cache after they find it and check that all is ok? There is always the remote possibility that someone else is geocaching and not logging.

My question is should I say something to the cachers(s) in question, or simply go out to each cache after they find it and check that all is ok?

The first one (the cache out in the open) could be a result of cachers "rehiding as they found it". A cacher some time ago may have left it exposed, and later finders left it how they found it. Most would probably try to hide it a bit better, but some will put it back exactly as they found it. How are they to know how the owner intended to have it hidden? How do they know it isn't supposed to be this way? That's probably not the case here, based on the other behaviour you've seen from them, but something to keep in mind.

The second cache with the unlocked lid, that's just laziness. Are they an experienced cacher that should know better, or a new cacher that just doesn't realize what they're doing? Either way, I'd probably send them a friendly note reminding them to make sure the container is closed when they put it back. You'll have to be very careful with your wording to not sound accusing, but there should be a way to make them aware without attacking them.

You could:

1. Ignore it.

or

2. Send a polite e-mail stating the problem and a gentle reminder to try and remember to replace the cache as they found it and in case it was found in an obviously un-hidden state to contact the CO (you) and inform you of the issues.

or

3. Send an e-mail starting with "You Bloody Idiots!!! ..."

The choice is yours.

Cheers,

Panda Inc

Yeah. Whenever 'a' or 'b' find one of my caches, I know I have to watch what happens next. Nice cachers. But they don't seem to understand the concept of 'rehide'. I'll guess that they are either lazy, or trying to make it easier for the next cacher. But if you don't put the rock back in front of the cache, it's liable to become a bear chew toy.

Cheers,

Panda Inc

That's hilarious. One thing my dad taught me: when writing to someone to get a result, don't start the letter with "Dear Idiot".

It sounds to me like they are just being careless. Someone needs to set them straight (in a nice way, of course). :lol:

Edited by Max and 99

I have been doing a maintenance run of all our caches, and have gotten the first 10 or so done so far. I've been finding caches re-hidden by the same cacher, that was the last log, in a very haphazard way. One was just out in the open, when it should have been evident that it was intended to be covered. This cache is in a reasonably out of the way location, but there is some traffic in the area from time to time.

The other (a lock & lock) was nicely hidden under it's camo stuff, but the lid was sort of half sitting on the box. Not snapped shut. Luckily there had been no rain between them finding the cache and my maintenance run. There was no evidence of critter gnawing on the box, and I find it highly unlikely that a critter would unsnap 3 of the 4 tabs, which would have to have been done to remove the lid.

My question is should I say something to the cachers(s) in question, or simply go out to each cache after they find it and check that all is ok? There is always the remote possibility that someone else is geocaching and not logging.

No.. Dont bother them. I had someone that did that to me and I reported on that person and GS put a stop to it. Its harassment. You never know if the last finder hidden the way it was found, or some muggle found it after them and moved it.

No.. Dont bother them. I had someone that did that to me and I reported on that person and GS put a stop to it. Its harassment. You never know if the last finder hidden the way it was found, or some muggle found it after them and moved it.

The jury is still out on whether or not it's them and I'll be checking more caches doing my maintenance and see if any more turn out the way the others have after they have been around the caches. I'm certainly not going to just outright accuse them! Don't know what your experience was, but simply asking a question or opening a discussion with the view of educating isn't harassment!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

The jury is still out on whether or not it's them and I'll be checking more caches doing my maintenance and see if any more turn out the way the others have after they have been around the caches. I'm certainly not going to just outright accuse them! Don't know what your experience was, but simply asking a question or opening a discussion with the view of educating isn't harassment!

Yeah, this is a really tough subject, and I can imagine if swineflew reported someone, he'd get that sort of response. You can just never prove it's them in this sort of game. Even though there's a well known high numbers duo in my area who are said to do this. Actually, they're not from my area, but they're so high number they come here all the time. Forget that, never mind I said that. :lol:

Anyways, I suppose sending the most kindly worded, diplomatic email you can come up with?

The last person to sign the log book, or log online, may not be the last person to find the cache...

Some cachers dont write in the log, or log online.

It may have been re-found by a cacher who has already logged a 'Found' on the cache previously.

The cache may have been found by a muggle, or moved by an animal.

Don't think that the last to sign the log, or log online WAS the last person at the cache.

It is not harassment! I'm sure there is more to your story than a single email from somebody. If they repeatedly bug you about it after you've asked them to stop, then you might have some claim about harassment. But to send one email, polite or otherwise, to somebody is hardly worthy of that word or of taking action against them.

I was checking up on one of my caches not long ago. Three of the tabs on the lock & lock were not fastened at all. I checked the log to see who the "idiot" was... and was shocked to see the name of a highly respected local cacher as the last one to sign the log. He isn't the sort to be known to cache and dash, so I was rather surprised. But then, as I glanced through the other log entries, I saw that three times, the cache had been found by non-cachers. I concluded that it was very likely that a forth found it most recently, except that they did not sign the log like the previous muggles did.

Yeah. Whenever 'a' or 'b' find one of my caches, I know I have to watch what happens next. Nice cachers. But they don't seem to understand the concept of 'rehide'. I'll guess that they are either lazy, or trying to make it easier for the next cacher. But if you don't put the rock back in front of the cache, it's liable to become a bear chew toy.

I have a cacher like that but i think they're stealing it because the next log is always a dnf.

2. Send a polite e-mail stating the problem and a gentle reminder to try and remember to replace the cache as they found it and in case it was found in an obviously un-hidden state to contact the CO (you) and inform you of the issues.

Cheers,

Panda Inc

Send the email but send it to the last five or finders. It will get the point across without pointing a finger at one person.

You could:

1. Ignore it.

or

or

The choice is yours.

Cheers,

Panda Inc

4. Invite the cacher to go caching with you and set a proper example.

Our group did this with a new cacher. A good majority of the caches he found as a newbie were disappearing shortly after he found them. After going out with us, the problem was solved without anyone having to say a word. Saved us the angst and saved him the embarrassment of being admonished.

This is a small community, and I'm sure I'll run across them sooner or later at a local event, or on the road. I'll be able to have a conversation about finding and hiding. I've checked a couple more caches where they were the last loggers, and I'm pretty sure it's them. From their logs I don't think it's out of malice at all. I think it's highly unlikely there is someone following them around that are doing the deeds without logging, but it is possible. Contrary to some comments in this thread, I'm not going to accuse anyone! Believe me, I know how to approach a delicate subject without ruffling feathers and have to do exactly that regularly in my job.

In fact, as I type this, I think I'll just let it go. More than likely they cache with a kid, or kids that are given the task to rehide, and are not being watched closely enough. Who really knows! I'll just monitor closely and see what develops and take it from there. At least they're writing logs!

You could:

1. Ignore it.

or

or

The choice is yours.

Cheers,

Panda Inc

4. Invite the cacher to go caching with you and set a proper example.

Our group did this with a new cacher. A good majority of the caches he found as a newbie were disappearing shortly after he found them. After going out with us, the problem was solved without anyone having to say a word. Saved us the angst and saved him the embarrassment of being admonished.

I think thats the best one and u got a friend as well. It does go a long way not to accuse anyone.

This is a small community, and I'm sure I'll run across them sooner or later at a local event, or on the road. I'll be able to have a conversation about finding and hiding. I've checked a couple more caches where they were the last loggers, and I'm pretty sure it's them. From their logs I don't think it's out of malice at all. I think it's highly unlikely there is someone following them around that are doing the deeds without logging, but it is possible. Contrary to some comments in this thread, I'm not going to accuse anyone! Believe me, I know how to approach a delicate subject without ruffling feathers and have to do exactly that regularly in my job.

In fact, as I type this, I think I'll just let it go. More than likely they cache with a kid, or kids that are given the task to rehide, and are not being watched closely enough. Who really knows! I'll just monitor closely and see what develops and take it from there. At least they're writing logs!

Good for you. I like it :)

My question is should I say something to the cachers(s) in question, or simply go out to each cache after they find it and check that all is ok?

The first one (the cache out in the open) could be a result of cachers "rehiding as they found it". A cacher some time ago may have left it exposed, and later finders left it how they found it. Most would probably try to hide it a bit better, but some will put it back exactly as they found it. How are they to know how the owner intended to have it hidden? How do they know it isn't supposed to be this way? That's probably not the case here, based on the other behaviour you've seen from them, but something to keep in mind.

The second cache with the unlocked lid, that's just laziness. Are they an experienced cacher that should know better, or a new cacher that just doesn't realize what they're doing? Either way, I'd probably send them a friendly note reminding them to make sure the container is closed when they put it back. You'll have to be very careful with your wording to not sound accusing, but there should be a way to make them aware without attacking them.

I agree. It's like a trickle down effect. One cacher may have put it back a few inches off, the next a few more, etc. Should you blame the last person when they may have only put it back where they found it? The other one well there still could be many reasons for it. Maybe they did put it on only someone saw them and went to see what they were looking at, or they thought they got it all snapped on right, but the weather made the partial snap pop off. There could be many things. You just have except some are careless and some are just unlucky to find a cache not in the original state it was placed in.

Inconsiderate cache hunters is why I stopped hiding caches. When I hid them they would be well off the beaten path but also completely covered so if someone were to pass through it would not be noticed. Yet I would go to check on them they would be sitting out in the open or somewhere other than where they were originally hidden.

Unfortunately it finally happened to the one I had hoped it would never happen to, GCB6. 11 years old, that one hurt.

I always leave a cache better hidden than when I found it, but in the same place. Little bit of extra ground cover, rock, stick whatever. May take the next hunter a little while to find it but better than a non cacher seeing the box and taking off with it.

I have two caches with a considerable number of DNFs. These are both rated about 2D and shouldn't be difficult finds, but often become more challenging because the caches migrate around a bit. Each time I've visited, ready to replace what I thought was a missing cache I had my hands on the very original container within seconds. Some visits I have had to look a little more, but no more effor than I would expect from the average geocacher. In both cases the caches have migrated less than 3 feet.

Inconsiderate cache hunters is why I stopped hiding caches. When I hid them they would be well off the beaten path but also completely covered so if someone were to pass through it would not be noticed. Yet I would go to check on them they would be sitting out in the open or somewhere other than where they were originally hidden.

Unfortunately it finally happened to the one I had hoped it would never happen to, GCB6. 11 years old, that one hurt.

I always leave a cache better hidden than when I found it, but in the same place. Little bit of extra ground cover, rock, stick whatever. May take the next hunter a little while to find it but better than a non cacher seeing the box and taking off with it.

That's how I've always played. Hide the cache better at the location you found it, and leave the area cleaner than you found it.

I will say that one time I hid a cache better than I found it, and I was the last person to get a smiley on that one. After a few DNF's, it was archived. Sometimes I think about to go back and see if it's there still and I just hid it too well. There were two TB's that I placed into it.

Edited by gustav129
I will say that one time I hid a cache better than I found it, and I was the last person to get a smiley on that one. After a few DNF's, it was archived. Sometimes I think about to go back and see if it's there still and I just hid it too well.
Yeah, I once found a cache that had been archived because the owner couldn't find it, after someone had "hid it better than they found it". It was only a foot or two from its intended hiding place, but it was harder for others to find (a sudden string of DNFs), and the owner couldn't even find it. He assumed that it had been muggled and archived it.

I'm a fan of replacing caches exactly as I found them, unless I'm convinced (e.g., by the decrypted hint, or by finding a D2+ cache lying out in the open) that it wasn't in the right place when I found it.

I will say that one time I hid a cache better than I found it, and I was the last person to get a smiley on that one. After a few DNF's, it was archived. Sometimes I think about to go back and see if it's there still and I just hid it too well.
Yeah, I once found a cache that had been archived because the owner couldn't find it, after someone had "hid it better than they found it". It was only a foot or two from its intended hiding place, but it was harder for others to find (a sudden string of DNFs), and the owner couldn't even find it. He assumed that it had been muggled and archived it.

I'm a fan of replacing caches exactly as I found them, unless I'm convinced (e.g., by the decrypted hint, or by finding a D2+ cache lying out in the open) that it wasn't in the right place when I found it.

Thank you!

I have had a FTF'er hide one of my caches better than he found it. Why? As FTF, he found it exactly as it was intended. After the next three cachers DNF'ed it, I went to check. It took me 45 minutes to find my own cache.

I had another FTF'er apply cammo tape to one of my D 1.5 caches because it was too easy for him to find. That was the point. I didn't want people to DNF the cache after hiking six miles to get to GZ.