Moved Cache

crabhunter

On the top right of your cache page, click on Edit Listing, then scroll down to the link that says:

modify your cache coordinates via a log entry.

Assuming that you are only moving less than 528 feet.

The OP stated the new coords were on the other side of the trail, so by that statement I thought the distance would be fairly close.

Actually, changing the coords to a distance much less than 528 feet could still be too close to another cache.

On the top right of your cache page, click on Edit Listing, then scroll down to the link that says:

modify your cache coordinates via a log entry.

Assuming that you are only moving less than 528 feet.

The OP stated the new coords were on the other side of the trail, so by that statement I thought the distance would be fairly close.

Actually, changing the coords to a distance much less than 528 feet could still be too close to another cache.

I thought the same thing when I read about the other side of the trail but I've also learned that what one says and what one means may be two different things. :)

The "other side of the trail" was almost 1,000 feet away, so I made the change for the CO in response to an email he sent me at the beginning of the week. In an area that is not cache-dense, and where the essential geocaching experience is the same, a reviewer will often assist with making a move of this distance. In this example the recent appearance of "no trespassing" signs was a valid reason for the move, and both the old spot and new spot are along the same rails-to-trails path. In cache-dense areas or where the new hiding place is totally different in character than the old location, the reviewer in their discretion may ask the CO to archive the old cache and submit a new listing for the new spot/new experience.

Updating coordinates in these circumstances is a low-priority task for volunteer cache reviewers, taking a back seat to urgent things like angry land managers, "needs archived" logs, etc. Reviewing new cache submissions also has priority because of our 72 hour service goal for an initial review.