What's the point of stealth?

Sykotron

On many caches I see notes saying stealth is required... I don't understand why. You're not doing anything wrong by fumbling around in bushes and looking up and down a tree. There would be no negative consequences of being spotted whilst looking for a cache unless it's Medusa that sees you.

The more stealthy you look, the more guilty you look.

If anyone asks, I usually tell them I am geocaching. The main issue is trying to protect the cache though. If you look too suspicious, others will be drawn to go check out what you were doing, and then the cache might go missing.

If I am in a park, I will look around to make sure no one is around before going in for the cache. If I am spotted off in the woods, I pretend to be looking at birds or flowers or whatever.

If I am in an urban area - I typically just walk right up, get the cache, sign it and put it away. If you start lurking around waiting for the right moment, you just look more suspicious and will have more eyes watching to see what you're doing. If you just go about your business, you'd be amazed how much poeple just ignore you.

On many caches I see notes saying stealth is required... I don't understand why. You're not doing anything wrong by fumbling around in bushes and looking up and down a tree. There would be no negative consequences of being spotted whilst looking for a cache unless it's Medusa that sees you.

The general idea is to protect the cache from being easily discovered by muggles. I think it often means "wait until nobody is nearby" to find this cache. In practice, IMHO - it just draws more attention to yourself.

The general idea is to protect the cache from being easily discovered by muggles. I think it often means "wait until nobody is nearby" to find this cache. In practice, IMHO - it just draws more attention to yourself.

Usually these are micros stuck to benches and such. I'll usually "case" the area by walking by, then try to spot it while "texting" or tyeing my shoe, before sitting down and grabbing it.

Some places are full of people who will mess with a cache or steal it when they're made aware of it. A cache in such a place may not be active very long unless it's hidden in a very creative way. One warning sign is when you see the text "use stealth". As with every other style of cache, some people love the "stealth" kind, some don't.

And the problem with Medusa is not when she sees you, but when you look at her. :anicute:

I always think of stealth as hiding in plain sight. I am doing nothing wrong so I don't really act like I am doing anything secretive. The most one could conclude from looking at me is that I am looking for something. The people watching me might think I lost something.

If they ask I usually tell them what geocaching is. If I am in a hurry or don't feel like explaining I say scavenger hunt. I guess if a muggle caught me with a cache I would just explain what it is. I wouldn't want them to think I was doing something more suspicious (being college aged I might look like I am up to no good)

Why not put a note in a cache telling what a cache is? That way if muggles pick it up and go home, then when they open it up they know to put it back, and we just introduced them to something cool :D

A very good idea that has been in place for many years. :)

Sorry, new here :D

Stealth to me means camoflaguing yourself into the enviroment around you so you are unseen. Creeping around the bushes is NOT stealth - unless everyone else is doing the same!

Stealth may mean taking on the guise of taking photos at a scenic spot while you're really looking around for the cache. Or talking on the phone, or breaking out a sandwich at a picnic table in a busy park while casually looking at the underside of the table as you reach for your can of drink in your bag underneath it.