How long are reviews?

DahliaMilloy

Hey guys I'm not sure if this topic is in the right section, so frel free to bump it. Anyways, I had submitted a cache for review on monday night, and I was just wondering if there is a reason my cache might not have beeb published, without a reviewer note having beeb left. Im not impatient, just curious. It would be nice to have it ready for all the weekend cachers. Thanks in advance.

Brag

Hey guys I'm not sure if this topic is in the right section, so frel free to bump it. Anyways, I had submitted a cache for review on monday night, and I was just wondering if there is a reason my cache might not have beeb published, without a reviewer note having beeb left. Im not impatient, just curious. It would be nice to have it ready for all the weekend cachers. Thanks in advance.

Brag

I submitted one yesterday around 2 in the afternoon and the reviewer got back to me within hours and the cache was published at 6pm same day. Big props to the SD North County reviewer team. They're all over it.

Brag

Make sure the 'enable listing' box has been checked, or it wont even be available for review.

Edited by Arndtwe

Only 5? I'm down for being a reviewer. It can't be that hard. Look at the co-ordinates, make sure they fit the guidelines. Easy as pie. I feel bad that only 5 reviewers have all of Ontario to review. Let's have a reviewers fair across the board. Anywhere that needs reviewers have a notice posted, and then people will know that they can apply or whatever the process is.

Only 5? I'm down for being a reviewer.

That isn't how it works: Becoming a Volunteer Cache Reviewer

3 finds and a week of experience isn't enough to qualify for a reviewer position. Reviewers are very experienced cachers and highly-regarded by their community.

As for there being 5 reviewers for Ontario, that's a lot. There are 30000 caches in Ontario, and 5 reviewers. There are 25000 caches in BC, and 2 reviewers (which seems about right, they aren't overworked AFAICT).

Hi Braggirtine,

I am also in Ontario and I know that our reviewers are particularly busy this time of year. There are several events coming up which people are busy hiding caches for. In Ottawa, we have the GAG17 (Go and Get 'em) event. All the caches are reviewed then placed on hold for publishing on a certain date.

I'm sure the reviewers will get to it as soon as they can. We have a great review team here. In the mean time, you might want to make sure that you have read the guidelines fully. If there are issues with your cache, they might just not have had time to write a lengthy reviewer note, which could account for the hold up.

Things to watch for/common mistakes:

- Make sure your home coordinates are entered

- Is your cache at least 161 meters from an existing cache? If there are puzzles or multi-caches near your cache, they might interfere too.

- Make sure your cache is not located too close to a school, military installation, airport, etc. The guidelines will have a list of places to avoid.

- If you rated it with a terrain 1, is is handicap accessible? If so, you should use the attribute

- Reviewer notes are a great way to let them know what and where your caches is. What type of container, how it was hidden, what type of area (trail/park/etc.) If they have to guess about certain things, there's a better chance that you're cache will be sent back for more information.

If all else fails, try sending a polite message to one of the reviewers to ask them to look into it. Be sure to include the GC Code to help them look it up. I'd give them at least 2 or 3 days though before I started hounding them. As I said at the beginning, they are being kept pretty busy lately.

Remember they are all volunteers with real lives/jobs/families to try to juggle as well.

Good luck and welcome to geocaching!

Hey guys sorry for the late reply, I am having to tether up here to get internet. Thanks for the respectful and non-condesceding reply, junglehair. Others should follow your example. Anyways, to the point. After reviewing your post carefully and making sure I have done or understood everything, I still don't know what to do. It seems 4 caches have been published in my area that were hidden After mine, not before. So any reason they would be published in a day and mine take 4 days with no explanation? Thanks again, and take care junglehair. (rhymed)

Hey guys sorry for the late reply, I am having to tether up here to get internet. Thanks for the respectful and non-condesceding reply, junglehair. Others should follow your example. Anyways, to the point. After reviewing your post carefully and making sure I have done or understood everything, I still don't know what to do. It seems 4 caches have been published in my area that were hidden After mine, not before. So any reason they would be published in a day and mine take 4 days with no explanation? Thanks again, and take care junglehair. (rhymed)

Did you check your spam folder? Sometimes the spam rules are strange and your reviewer might have sent you an email that got filed. I probably would have picked one of the local reviewers and sent them an email instead of poking the frog at this point. Also, what is the GC # of the ones that got published? My understanding is the review queue is ordered by GC # so perhaps the ones that got published had a lower GC # than yours.

I will check my spam folder, good suggestion. As for the GC code, I suppose that very well may be the case. It just doesnt make sense to me that the other ones would be lower. Mine are literally 4 days old and the ones published already have a find 1 day after being hidden, or the same day. Any queue-jumping suggestions?

Ok. It's waiting time. Sometimes I jump the gun, I'll admit it. I am just so eager to spread my cache-love to other cachers. Not in the STD kind of way though. Contribution - it is the only way I can think of to return what Caching has made for me and the family. Thank you junglehair, StarBrand and jholly for making the forum board experience a pleasant one, I don't get on here often and trolls seem to just want to jump on the new guy for no reason. We all have to start somewhere, sometime.

I hope you didn't consider my post to be condescending. I certainly didn't mean it that way, so if my wording made it sound that way, I apologize. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the procedure of becoming a reviewer. I thank you for contributing to the game. People seem to be enjoying your existing hides, so you must be doing something right! I've been in the same boat, waiting for my cache to be published, so I know how you feel. As long as the reviewers haven't contacted you about any problems, it's likely it will be published very soon. Keep up the good work!

My post wasn't condescending at all.

Straight facts, given without any smilies...hardly rude or condescending.

Have you checked to see if there were any Reviewer Notes that need your response?

Have you checked your "caches waiting for review"?

There's a couple of articles in the Help Center that may help:

4.2. Publication of Caches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=81

4.5. Working With the Reviewer: communication

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=74

And, yeah, you jumped the gun by going directly to Groundspeak. Contacting your local reviewer first is the protocol, which GS will probably suggest.

B.

Let's jump on the new guy, who says he isn't anxious, but obviously is! :rolleyes::ph34r:

82 hides later, I'm still anxious! I'm still trying to claim the record at 21 days because my reviewer eloped and went to visit the Lily Pad. Finaly got reviewed by a frog at HQ.

Sometimes things get in the way. As someone mentioned, a number of events in Ontario might do that. I find the staff to be very helpful and conscientious. The Frog Pond is good about adding more reviewers when necessary (except in Texas). Had one reviewer who only published caches here on Thursdays. Reviewer was added. They're actually pretty darned good!

Assuming that you have checked the advice offered by others above, sometimes an anomaly occurs. Then you say to yourself "Oh, well." The reviewer will get to it as quickly as possible.

Let's jump on the new guy, who says he isn't anxious, but obviously is! :rolleyes::ph34r:

82 hides later, I'm still anxious! I'm still trying to claim the record at 21 days because my reviewer eloped and went to visit the Lily Pad. Finaly got reviewed by a frog at HQ.

Sometimes things get in the way. As someone mentioned, a number of events in Ontario might do that. I find the staff to be very helpful and conscientious. The Frog Pond is good about adding more reviewers when necessary (except in Texas). Had one reviewer who only published caches here on Thursdays. Reviewer was added. They're actually pretty darned good!

Assuming that you have checked the advice offered by others above, sometimes an anomaly occurs. Then you say to yourself "Oh, well." The reviewer will get to it as quickly as possible.

I know this may come as a shock, but there are now two reviewers in Texas.

Edited by jholly

Lessee here.... two of three placements were on a holiday, the third the day after that same holiday. By the way, they have been published (and found).

During that interval of time, being springtime, probably 150+ caches were also placed during that same time within the reviewer's area of concern.

Reviewers are volunteers, and have lives of their own to work through plus families to take care of and be responsible to.

I try not to be condescending, but sometimes I have to bite my tongue enough to make it bleed.

Asking GS to intercede and "rattle cages" is simply out of line IMO. [Remainder deleted prior to posting.........]

I'm from Ontario as well, and I've always had great response time from them. The longest If I remember was 3 days.

Others have given good advice as to what things to check with your submission to make sure things are correct.

If you've done all that, then the only other thing I can think of is that possibly there is some concern as to the location of your cache. Sometimes with a difficult (unusual) location, or something questionable, the reviewers will talk between themselves, which will delay it some.

Good luck.