[FEATURE] Attribute Highway

Blohminator

Hello,

very often I plan cache tours with the function along a route. The problem is, when you configure the search radius left and right on the road you will get in the PQ caches they are not possible to visit because they are out of the highway and not accessible. So if there are caches on a parking-area, resting place, gas-station or exit's they can be marked as an highway cache. With this attribute we have a perfect PQ with caches where are able to visit at the tour on the road.

Hello,

very often I plan cache tours with the function along a route. The problem is, when you configure the search radius left and right on the road you will get in the PQ caches they are not possible to visit because they are out of the highway and not accessible. So if there are caches on a parking-area, resting place, gas-station or exit's they can be marked as an highway cache. With this attribute we have a perfect PQ with caches where are able to visit at the tour on the road.

I would also appreciate this feature. Combined with the "Cache along a route" PQ, a "Highway Attribute" would be perfect. At the moment, I have to select the caches, I want to find during a highway / Autobahn drive, by hand.

Edited by FerrariGirlNr1

Even better, people who place a cache near to the highway - but not accessible from it - could add the "crossed out" version of the icon to their cache.

I really like this idea.

I do not care about such an attribute. I definitely would not add the crossed out version. Highways are in my opinion a perfect place for the bogus coordinates of mystery caches.

Cezanne

Highways are in my opinion a perfect place for the bogus coordinates of mystery caches.

I have seen newbies searching for a cache at the posted coordinates of mystery caches. Some have even subsequently logged DNFs. :anicute:

While that is certainly rare, I would never place the bogus coordinates in any location that could cause someone to break the law, or worse, get injured or even killed, while attempting to search this bogus area.

The middle of a lake is a much better idea, IMO. Most newbies don't own a boat :laughing:

Highways are in my opinion a perfect place for the bogus coordinates of mystery caches.

I have seen newbies searching for a cache at the posted coordinates of mystery caches. Some have even subsequently logged DNFs. :anicute:

While that is certainly rare, I would never place the bogus coordinates in any location that could cause someone to break the law, or worse, get injured or even killed, while attempting to search this bogus area.

The middle of a lake is a much better idea, IMO. Most newbies don't own a boat :laughing:

I owned four of them before I started geocaching but have since sold one of them. When I first started someone put out for unknown caches which had similar location for the final locations. After solving and finding of them I though I might be able to brute force the find without solving the puzzle if I could find the same kind of hiding spot nearby. When I got to the published coordinates I discovered that they were in the middle of a university womens dorm building. Probably not the best place for a 50 something male to be snooping around carrying something that might appear from a distance to be a camera.

I have never heard of such an incidence in my area and my caches are definitely not the ones a newbie will look at anyway.

A stupid person might think that he should search on a rail track, but stopping in the middle of a highway is not even possible.

There are not many lakes around, but many highways.

Cezanne

I could see where the attribute might be useful, but I find it just as easy to, as I approach the cache location while driving, to say "Oh well, that one isn't at a rest stop, it appears to be on that county road so I'll just keep on driving and not worry about it."

Hello,

Maybe we add the european word for the Highway = Autobahn

I could see this attribute being very confusing and/or not 'used' by cache owners. The attribute is only as good if the CO will use it. Some CO's don't use attributes now!! Where do you draw the line for 'what is a highway cache' and 'what is not'?? That will depend on everyone's personal perception (and especially the CO). And we have no control over that as a NON-CO.

To think a little differently here: if there was a way to delete caches from our PQ lists before actually running the PQ. You could pick & chose what caches you don't want to be in your route. Or....to pick and choose them and delete everything else.

Have you tried narrowing your route/PQ down to D/T ratings of 1.0/1.0? Or filter out by 'beginner caches'??

Unless, I'm missing your point....??

Edited by Lieblweb

:blink: there is no Highway Attribute...!!?? wow... thats such a brilliant and also simple idea...

who doesnt handpick caches on a resting place along a highway... if all Owners would set this attribute to their existing caches that would be great...!! lets hope for the best...!!

*thumbs up* and actually both thumbs...because its such a needed attribute... would save me a lot of time preparing a route..

or if you forgot to make a query the day before you can make one fast and quick... without the need of recheck all the Listings if its really a highway resting place cache :P

I'd have hoped even a newbie would read the cache page that says "the cache is not at the posted coordinates" and comments like "the coordinates are for the middle of a busy road, don't go there". Even if they didn't read that I'd hope that basic common sense would tell them that hunting for a cache in the middle of a motorway is as silly as hunting in the middle of a lake, even if their only response was to find something in a less silly location.

I've known people who looked for a mystery cache at the posted coordinates (they were newbies looking for their first cache) - they looked and couldn't find it so they asked me what they were doing wrong. I think they saw it was a puzzle cache and expected to find a puzzle to solve at the posted coordinates.

There's still a big difference between wondering where a cache could possibly be in the middle of a field, and trying to get to the middle of a monstrous great junction between interstates/motorways to look for something.

I agree with cezanne that highways (especially where any traffic without an engine is banned) make perfect places to post puzzle coordinates. That way they'll never sit over the top of the actual coordinates of a physical cache and it's obvious to anyone who takes even a couple of seconds to look that the cache isn't actually there. Someone who doesn't even take a couple of seconds to look seems as daft to me as the people who expect every aspect of a 5/5 cache to be laid out in front of them so they can tell at a glance what it's going to be.

Great idea. I have been bookmarking travel bug hotels and inns, etc (by province) here in Canada for a while now, and I 'always' see them along major highways. I think it would be a great additional attribute. There are also a ton of roadside information/rest stops that this would work great on as well.

Good for the reason given...BUT...sometimes the caches are on a side road or access road that are very easy to get to from the interstate that I would actually go for. Even if it were okay to use this attribute for one of these, some would and some would not, so there would not be consistency. Maybe if it were an "Easy Access to/from a Highway" attribute...just like there are varying degrees of what some might consider a "Park & Grab", at least this might take into account something near a truck stop that doesn't take a long side trip to get to.

Even better, people who place a cache near to the highway - but not accessible from it - could add the "crossed out" version of the icon to their cache.

I really like this idea.

I do not care about such an attribute. I definitely would not add the crossed out version. Highways are in my opinion a perfect place for the bogus coordinates of mystery caches.

Cezanne

Typical post from Cezanne.

listen "Negative Nacy" if you don't have something positive to say, don't say anything at all.

If you would not use it, why take it away from people who would?

I bet you don't use the scuba attribute. Should that be removed because you don't use it?

A nice and much more friendly response would be something like:

"Although I, Cezanne would not use such a feature I can understand how it would help many users. Let's do it!"

You don't have to be such a downer all the time.

This forum is for the discussion of feature suggestions from all sides, not just those in support of them. If someone is of the opinion that a feature isn't worth Groundspeak considering for development, they have every right to say so.

I concur. Not much use for a discussion forum if everyone had to agree.

Edited by cerberus1

Isn't this redundant to the PnG attribute? And excluding the Hike attributes or higher Terrain ratings?

Also, it has certain limitations. There are many places where access roads run close to an interstate, but which are miles from the nearest exit. A cache along those roads would be just as much a candidate for the Highway icon as one actually accessible from the interstate (rest area or close to an exit).

Isn't this redundant to the PnG attribute? And excluding the Hike attributes or higher Terrain ratings?

Also, it has certain limitations. There are many places where access roads run close to an interstate, but which are miles from the nearest exit. A cache along those roads would be just as much a candidate for the Highway icon as one actually accessible from the interstate (rest area or close to an exit).

Like I said...

Good for the reason given...BUT...sometimes the caches are on a side road or access road that are very easy to get to from the interstate that I would actually go for. Even if it were okay to use this attribute for one of these, some would and some would not, so there would not be consistency. Maybe if it were an "Easy Access to/from a Highway" attribute...just like there are varying degrees of what some might consider a "Park & Grab", at least this might take into account something near a truck stop that doesn't take a long side trip to get to.

I really like this idea.

Cezanne

Typical post from Cezanne.

listen "Negative Nacy" if you don't have something positive to say, don't say anything at all.

If you would not use it, why take it away from people who would?

I bet you don't use the scuba attribute. Should that be removed because you don't use it?

A nice and much more friendly response would be something like:

"Although I, Cezanne would not use such a feature I can understand how it would help many users. Let's do it!"

Isn't the point of a discussion forum to consider the good and the bad of new ideas. If nobody says why they think an idea is silly, and nobody points out reasons why an idea is unlikely to achieve the stated aim, how can anyone reconsider their support for it?

There's a big difference between "I wouldn't use it but can see why others would" and "I think it's a pointless idea and can't see how it would help anyone".

I would never use the scuba attribute simply because I don't go scuba diving, but I can see how it would be useful for the kind of cacher who wants to hide or seek a cache under 30 feet of water. It's pretty clear that if the cache is under that much water you'd have to be pretty hardcore to even attempt it without equipment, so it becomes fairly clear when the attribute is warranted and when it isn't.

Attributes that say things like "easy access from..." end up ever-more subjective and therefore open to issues further down the line. So many people seem to expect to have all the information they could possibly want "at a glance" - if someone is planning a long drive and wants caches to pick off as a way to add some interest to a rest stop it's not that hard to look at the route and pick a few out.

For example I drove from central PA to the very southern parts of NC some months back. It was a 600 mile drive and I broke the journey briefly with a comfort stop in WV. While I was there I found a geocache, and added WV to my list of "states cached". It wasn't hard to look at the map, look for caches in WV rest stops, and add them to my GPS. If I'd ended up stopping in a different rest stop, it's not like it's the end of the world if I can't find a geocache at that very location.

Hello,

I would also appreciate this feature. Combined with the "Cache along a route" PQ, a "Highway Attribute" would be perfect. At the moment, I have to select the caches, I want to find during a highway / Autobahn drive, by hand.

You'll still have to filter your results - if you're going from A to B along an trunk road the caches in the service station only accessible from the other carriageway aren't going to be of much use to you.